Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Happen
Happen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
how to disable usb charge of Kindle DX

really don't like that everytime i connect to tranfer a book, it charges a little bit
maybe that doesn't hurt the battery life at all
i just don't feel like it
Happen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
AFAIK that does not affect battery life, or at least is that experts says. However I'm not sure of that.

I thought that cutting +12VDC cable in USB cable it can be done, but I've not tested yet (I need to purchase a new cable to test it but when I go to street I do not remember to purchase it and when I remember it I cannot go).

But it is a must in my TO-DO list.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Actually, I have a different problem. When I connect my Kindle2 to my laptop and leave it there for any length of time it seems to mess up my Kindle's charging memory.

Not only does my Kindle seem to run out of juice fairly quickly, but it also runs out quickly on the next charging cycle. Or so it seems. I've never actually run it dry -- I'm just going by the battery meter.

I have assumed that the problem is with the USB ports on my Dell laptop. Dell has been known in the past to have underpowered USB ports that don't do a great job with charging devices. I further assume that the Kindle thinks its getting charged because it recognizes the connection, but it is either not getting enough juice, or even drawing current to stay awake. The bottom line is that it takes a couple of charge cycles to get back to normal behavior.

On the other hand, the issue for you is that I wouldn't be sure that cutting the USB charging circuit would give the results you want. Your Kindle might really be confused if it thinks its hooked up, but it isn't getting the juice it thinks it should be getting.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happen View Post
really don't like that everytime i connect to tranfer a book, it charges a little bit
maybe that doesn't hurt the battery life at all
It doesn't. Don't worry about it.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The battery will be fine with those small charges, and besides, there's no way to disable it unless you can hack the core system files voiding warranty and so on.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert