Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Exiting calibre - linux - no system tray?

This _has_ to be the stupidest newbie question ever, but I can't figure out how to exit calibre cleanly.
I couldn't find an exit button or an exit option from the menu, so I figured I hust had to just close the window. At one time this gave me a message saying that calibre would keep running in the system tray, and that I should choose exit from the system tray if I really wanted to quit (or something like that).

Thing is, I'm running linux with a minimalistic window manager and I don't have a system tray. After closing the window and looking at the processes I see a bunch of processes:
/bin/sh /usr/bin/calibre
/opt/calibre/loader
/bin/sh /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel
/opt/calibre/loader
/bin/sh /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel
opt/calibre/loader

killing one of the /opt/calibre/loader processes seems to get me rid of these, but that doesn't feel right... Is there a better way to do it?
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
killing one of the /opt/calibre/loader processes seems to get me rid of these, but that doesn't feel right... Is there a better way to do it?
Go into config and turn of "Minimize to system tray" option. This way closing the window will close the app.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Incidentally, you should look into using trayer a minimalistic system tray
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You an also use CTRL-Q to quit Calibre without it minimising to System Tray.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 AM   #5
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks for the answers!

Maybe I'll look into trayer when I get my new laptop, but I'm not sure I would have much use for it...
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I use a minimal window management system based on a tiling windows manager I wrote myself, and I find trayer useful for a couple of apps like gajim and quassel
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
chlorine
Addict

Sounds interesting indeed.

(I use ion3 myself as a window manager so our settings mustn't be _very_ different