Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I FINALLY GRADUATED!

I found out yesterday that I have officially graduated college.

It's taken me 12 years due largely to health and some family financial issues (family business collapsed a few years back very suddenly) so it's pretty big news for me. It sucks, of course, graduating into the worst economic situation in decades and having the same terrible job options I had BEFORE I graduated (less, actually) but.. it's good to be done.

So now have my B.A. in Theology with minors in History and Philosophy. Originally, I was a religious studies major but due to my college canceling my final class this summer, some changes had to be made to made last minute to graduate on time.

And yeah... I know, those aren't exactly "job degrees" - I'm planning on going to seminary (Episcopal) in a few years, so I'm just looking for work in the meantime. Hopefully in the non-profit sector, as that's where my experience is but it's having a tough time right now.

Anyway.. I'm excited. Thought today I am thoroughly hungover from celebrating. :P Scotch+whisky drinks plus an entire bottle of wine is not smart.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
w00t!!!!!!!!! the military is almost always hiring chaplains!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Congratulations, Gideon!! That is a mjor accomplishment considering all you had to go through to get there.

I gotta say, though, a hungover theology major with an eye towards the seminary?!?!? That's almost like an oxymoron!

Congratulation, again.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
the military is almost always hiring chaplains
I actually considered it, but I have to go to seminary first unfortunately. And AFTER seminary I've fairly stable job prospects (and a beautiful pension). But if I'm young enough by the time it's all over, I might still do that but it's doubtful as I'll be pushing 40 by then!

The Episcopal church doesn't just let you go to seminary.. you have to jump through some hoops, and I'm also coordinating it with my girlfriend so we can go together so... it's at least three years off.
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I gotta say, though, a hungover theology major with an eye towards the seminary?!?!? That's almost like an oxymoron!

Congratulation, again.
Nah, I'm an Episcopalian. :P Life is to be enjoyed... though perhaps with a bit more moderation!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Good show, Gideon!!! Congrats!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I found out yesterday that I have officially graduated college.
Congratulations on your major accomplishment!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Nah, I'm an Episcopalian. :P Life is to be enjoyed... though perhaps with a bit more moderation!
Hey! Don't get me wrong. I'm Catholic. We do love our wine and we don't worry too much about moderation. We just go to confession once a week and wipe the slate clean.

Just kidding.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Some of our churches still have confessionals.. though I've never been in one. :grins: I might need to start if I keep this up!

But yeah... we do like our wine... and port... and gin.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
CONGRATS WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Congratulations, Gideon! It may seem like an empty comment, but I truly believe that there is great value in education beyond the simple, immediate economic value.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Congratulations, Gideon! It may seem like an empty comment, but I truly believe that there is great value in education beyond the simple, immediate economic value.
Couldn't agree more None of my degrees ever landed me a job, but I did enjoy doing them a lot
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Congratulations!!

While your major isn't one that leads directly to a specific job -- unlike an engineering or teaching degree -- there are many jobs for which the BS/BA is desired simply to show:
1 - someone thought you were educable/trainable
2 - you stuck with something long enough to finish it

I wish you luck in lining up jobs and seminary study.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Congratulations

Good luck with the job hunting

:grumble: I still have about 4 years to go to get my Sistems Engineering degree
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote