Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
What would you do if you get a great amount of money

What would you do with the money? (the amount you got would go into the millions)

You're not allowed to give money to family/friends/good causes. You could buy stuff and give those away, but not the money directly.

------

I'd first get a new kitchen. Which is tearing down the entire structure (it's "glued" to the house and ugly), replace the entire wall with sliding glass doors and a huge kitchen with all the appliances you'd need.

Then I'd hire somebody to fix our driveway. The old water tank and concrete need to be removed, and grass stones placed.

And lastly, the lounge would be finished by next month, including chair hammock and regular hammock.

Those ereader devices I'd buy won't even make a dent in the budget, so they're not worth mentioning
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Buy our very own house, go back for my PhD, and possibly rent/buy/pay a maid! I'd also buy stuff for my family and my huband's family, but I'm not sure what yet. I'm still salivating over what I'd get....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Buy anything Great Ormond Street Hospital, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary Hospital and St. James Hospital in Leeds needed.

Renovate and expand,
making the house more manageable by building into our adjacent steading.

Get someone to plant as many trees as our plot of land will hold.

Build at least one large body of water, without it looking too artifical.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #4
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I'd buy a house (if possible the one I rent now) and invest in my friend's business so he can give more time to it and less to earning money to set it up.

I'd also buy my parents a slightly bigger house and pay the bills (especially the council tax) for it for 5 years, then renovate it so that it suits my dad, who's in a wheel chair. Things so he can do things for himself and become a little bit more independent, maybe better voice activated controls for his computer etc.

And I'd go on my ideal holiday - a train trip round Europe visiting lots of wine producers!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'd give up work and make ebooks for the forum instead. And volunteer for a charity, so as to do something else useful.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
I would go on a cruise (very long one). Throw out all my wardrobe, gut my house and have it all rebuilt to open concept,quit my job,give my 26 yr old money and get him out of the house (I think hes our retirement present). New car to get the new wardrobe when I came back from the cruise. List is to long . And I have to get ready for work
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'd buy the appartment of my dreams, with a view, a balcony, working fireplaces, a bathtub, wood floors, gaz kitchen and heating, and cupboards !!

in fact, i'd buy the whole building, and rent the other appartments only to whom i chose for cheap rent (none of this outrageous gouging most owners are doing) : old people, and friends with no shums.

in fact, i'd buy *all* the buildings in a 5km radius, just to be sure there were no schools anywhere nearby !!!

i'd also quit my job officially, which means i stop relying on the whimsy of lunatic jack*ss clients, but i would still do some projects, if they appealed to me, and the client wasn't insane.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, lots of people want to buy or upgrade real estate!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would buy a dutch barge and convert it to live on. Then put it on the Hamble river so I have access to the sea and have another boat to go sailing in.

I'd buy or rent a workshop and have a go at building traditional wooden boats. I's buy homes for each of my immediate family and stick a regular payment to Naomi House

Oh and a nice wooden desk to write at.

God I am sooo greedy
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Knowing my luck I'd probably just have a heart attack !

So my family would have to answer this question
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Actually, I'd probably try to ignore it! I enjoy my work and would be at loose ends just to quit. We have a good life and I am content with the level of material goods that we have. I observe that spending lots of money often brings many problems and insecurities (there is always someone with more money). I wouldn't want to shower my child with unlimited funds because I would worry about her character development.
I guess she'd get it when we are gone... but at least she'll be older by then.

Although a few more techie gadgets would be fun....
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What would you do with the money? (the amount you got would go into the millions)
Hire an assassin, and go on a cruise (by definition a ship is a watertight alibi ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quit my job. Then volunteer my time and read
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Actually, I'd probably try to ignore it! I enjoy my work and would be at loose ends just to quit. We have a good life and I am content with the level of material goods that we have. I observe that spending lots of money often brings many problems and insecurities (there is always someone with more money). I wouldn't want to shower my child with unlimited funds because I would worry about her character development.

actually, if we are being serious, in principle i rather agree with you. the very few rich people i have known who have never had to worry about money at all (i mean specifically those who are living on their parents' bank accounts, not the ones who have worked hard to make their money) are completely disconnected from the real world and know practically nothing about life. they are also often pretty unressourceful, and not capable of getting much done in the way of practical, day to day responsibility. i think it's good for young people to have to live with relatively small amounts of money for a while, and to have to work to earn it, to learn responsibility. and i think it should be illegal to be obscenely rich (people who earn, for instance, multi-million € "bonuses" on top of salaries so huge it must be materially impossible to actually spend all of it, whilst their companies are "cutting costs" and laying people off and others are living at or below the poverty level ; that is unjustifiable to me), there should be some kind of limit. particularly as, bizarrely, the general reaction to having lots of money seems to be to want to hoard it / get even more, apparently just for the sake of having it.

however, i *also* believe that once you've struggled for a few years as a young person, and learned responsibility, ressourcefulness, etc., life should get easier. i, for instance, have already learned quite well what it means not to have enough money, and i think i have more than earned the privilege of being a somewhat idle rich person. or, at the least, comfortably comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Hire an assassin, and go on a cruise (by definition a ship is a watertight alibi ).
hm, i may need to change my answer. (where is that list of mine...)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post

Oh, I wouldn't quit my job either. I might decide to do less hours a week, but that's it.

But we've been fantasizing about our kitchen for some time now, and, while we do need a new kitchen (and we will get one next year), the structure doesn't fit with the rest of the house very well, and I'd love to tear it down and rebuild it so it would fit better.

And our lounge is also planned, but between now and 6 years

So, I'd do all those things to our hours I'd love to do right now, except that the financial situation won't allow it...