Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #31
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I look at it like this:
Kindle 2 = paperbook
Kindle DX = hardcover

in terms of reading ease.
Good point...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #32
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Kind of.. but I am also waiting to see what Apple does at the WWDC conference on June 8. If Apple announces a 9.5" touch screen color tablet, that will be my next reading device.
Imagine a tablet, with appstore, music, videos, ebooks. It would be expensive, but awesome.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #33
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm going to be buying it mainly for reading Novels and some Poetry. The Bible and Lots of public domain books like The Brothers K and Les Mis etc. I love the Classics. I'm 48 and in the last couple of years my close focus muscles have gone to dinner and haven't returned yet. So a LARGE screen device has a huge appeal to me. I have to put my Sony 500 n permanent "L" now. And turn the page every ten seconds. The large size doesn't daunt me. I think I can find a "man purse" or bag of some sort to lug it around. I plan on keeping my trusty Sony to carry along when I go to the movies or grocery shopping with my wife, those moments during the day when I'm waiting in line and can snatch a few moments to read. I look at the big screen as a luxury for reading at home or in bed. And hopefully it will load this site on the Internet browser? (does anyone know...?)
But still I wait for the scoop from Y'all.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #34
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Kind of.. but I am also waiting to see what Apple does at the WWDC conference on June 8. If Apple announces a 9.5" touch screen color tablet, that will be my next reading device.
Imagine a tablet, with appstore, music, videos, ebooks. It would be expensive, but awesome.
You evidently have a Touch, a laptop and a Kindle 2. To waste money on an iTablet merely to duplicate what that trio will do is self indulgent foolishness. I, myself, have an iPhone, laptop, and Kindle 2. I will NEVER, under ANY circumstances, buy an iTablet until Apple offers one for sale.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A "large screen iPod Touch", such as Apple is likely to produce, I certainly don't see as a substitute for a device like the Kindle DX or the iRex DR1000. It will almost certainly have a battery life of only a few hours, and won't be readable in direct sunlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #36
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
I'm going to be buying it mainly for reading Novels and some Poetry. The Bible and Lots of public domain books like The Brothers K and Les Mis etc. I love the Classics. I'm 48 and in the last couple of years my close focus muscles have gone to dinner and haven't returned yet. So a LARGE screen device has a huge appeal to me. I have to put my Sony 500 n permanent "L" now. And turn the page every ten seconds. The large size doesn't daunt me. I think I can find a "man purse" or bag of some sort to lug it around. I plan on keeping my trusty Sony to carry along when I go to the movies or grocery shopping with my wife, those moments during the day when I'm waiting in line and can snatch a few moments to read. I look at the big screen as a luxury for reading at home or in bed. And hopefully it will load this site on the Internet browser? (does anyone know...?)
But still I wait for the scoop from Y'all.
Roy - I know exactly what you are talking about. My close/fine eye muscles too have chosen to retire before I can. When I complained to my optomotrist about problems reading at night after work (where I work all day using computers) he suggested reading less! After I stopped laughing hysterically at him, we discussed lighting options and font sizes.
The Kindle has been perfect for me - allowing me to increase font size as eye muscles tire.
One anecdote: after I had my annual eye exam - which involved dilating my pupils - which lasts for HOURS because of the eye muscle problems - I was stranded at home unable to focus beyond a vague blur. TV was totally out as an option, so I turned to my Kindle, where I had purchased a Large Print copy of "A Canticle for Leibowitz" - the only format it was available in - which I had intended to read on the smallest font size to make it look normal. But that night, I started on the largest font size and progressively decreased it as my pupils progressively returned to normal. Kindle saved my sanity (and my eyes) that night!
I will post on the DX readability next week! Stay tuned!

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #37
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Poohbear. So you already preordered huh? I'm so tempted! But I'll wait. (read less!!!!) as if! My Sony 500 is over 2 years old now. I think the screen has become alot more gray than it was new. I'm hoping the DX screen is a brighter near white? Hoping.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #38
Drevil123
Drevil123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just bought the Kindle 2, the DX is way too big not travel friendly. Why pay more? I just upgraded my 1st Gen to the 2nd Gen. The size is fine for me.
Drevil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #39
Roy White
Evangelist

By the way. "self indulgent foolishness" is one of my hobbies.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #40
evandy
Enthusiast
evandy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Depends what you mean by "not portable." I always carry a briefcase/messenger bag to and from work, so it will fit in there quite well. Since I don't have a purse, the K2 wouldn't fit in a pocket, and would need to be hand-carried as well when I'm out without the bag.
evandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #41
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A "large screen iPod Touch", such as Apple is likely to produce, I certainly don't see as a substitute for a device like the Kindle DX or the iRex DR1000. It will almost certainly have a battery life of only a few hours, and won't be readable in direct sunlight.
[edit] Just looked at the Pixel Qi post, with the netbook that can do lcd color OR a kind of e-ink. And it occurred to me that if an iTablet can do that, it may well remedy much of these two defects. [end edit]

I agree to some extent. Those two problems will likely remain problems. I will add to the mix that I think that in addition to defects of the anticipated iTablet, there are probably virtues in having a dedicated device.

One of them is price, of course. But another is psychological, having to do with the focused attention involved in serious reading. In the same way that some people just don't want to move from pbooks to ebooks, because of the physical aspects of pbooks, I think there are some who might prefer the dedicated device to the multifunctional device.

Last edited by Harmon; 06-04-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #42
Roy White
Evangelist

Harmon. Interesting point. I have an iPhone and it's amazing how often I go on wild goose chases with it. I use it sometimes to read using Stanza and it's not too bad as long as I use my reading glasses. But I find myself searching out stuff on the web that my reading brings up. I enjoy this feature but sometimes I end up not reading the book I started on. As for the size issue. I can't imagine it being "too big." it's real lightweight and smaller than a standard sheet of notebook paper. This is one of the reasons I'm waiting until you guys get yours and use em in the real world. If Y'all hate it I can read why and be better informed and maybe save some money. So I wait. But it seems to me that once I find a sturdy carrier. Like a hard case or something then the DX portability seems pretty easy. With the Kindle2 or the DX it seems you still are going to be aware your carrying it (vs the iPhone you can put in your pocket and forget) and the "hassle" seems to me like it would be identical for the DX which is only what, 3 inches bigger? Anyway I don't really see the problem in terms of the portability.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #43
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
I signed up for a DX on preorder.

I have had first and second generation Sony readers, so I didn't see a need to purchase a similar device with an identical screen (and quite a bit uglier, sorry). Even though the wireless aspects were pretty cool. BUT with this Kindle DX's big screen I can totally justify using this to manage the hundreds of forms and procedures we use at work without having to boot a laptop or carry a raft of documents.

I'm just hoping the search isn't too bog slow. I read on Wikipedia it only does root text searches, not full text searches.

Regards,

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #44
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Size has different aspects to it, so to speak. There's that whole business with the "golden mean," for instance, that seems to transcend culture. Yet the standard proportions for books and book pages differ as between, say, the US and England.

What I have found, oddly, is that the same sized screen for the K2 and the 505 is somehow more comfortable in the K2. I think that this has something to do with the surrounding color (my 505 is blue.) I really wish that the K2 would accept different fonts without requiring me to hack it.

I also think that the exterior proportions of the device have some impact on readability.

Fonts are incredibly important, as well - the same size font will be more comfortable for most people in Century Schoolbook than in Arial. and I suspect that there's an interplay between screen proportions and the font.

Then there is the transportability issue. I thought that the K2 would be more awkward to use than the 505, since it is larger. But in the event, it turned out that - at least for me - the K2 is less awkward. Part of it is that the page turn buttons are easier to use. Something like that might be the same for the DX. If you are curious, just get the dimensions, and mock it up with cardboard.

OTOH, the 505 is very much easier to haul around. It fits easily in a coat pocket, which the K2 doesn't. Your coat may differ. Mostly, I carry my K2 in my briefcase, so it's not a big issue for me. I generally use my iPhone when I'm out & around, and unlike my kids, I don't carry a bag around.

I agree that getting a good case is essential. I like cases that fold back like a steno notepad - i.e., from the top - but those require a latch to hold the cover in place over the screen. But a case does add bulk. I like reading my K2 without the cover, but I usually use it since I usually read away from home, on the bus or eating lunch near work.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #45
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
As tempting as the Kindle DX is, I think I am going to pass. While I know and appreciate that Amazons ereaders are extra nice, I am still just wary about their closed mind to usable formats.

I really, really want a large screen ereader (whats that other word... liseuse?) for graphic novels and manga (and I'll just say it... comic books) and I think we may soon have a blessing of options.

Unless the reviews here just blow me away, I am gonna keep my coconuts in a pile and wait for another solution.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote