Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Spanish and Portuguese Dictionaries

I must say I am delighted with my recently-purchased Kindle 3. One of the features I most like about it is that it makes it so quick and easy to look up words...when reading in English.

The problem is that I also enjoy reading in Spanish and Portuguese, but the dictionaries available for those languages, both Sp.-Eng. and Por.-Eng., seem to be few and far between, and the ones I have seen on offer have so few entries that they are almost useless to anyone wishing to read texts written for Hispanophones or Lusophones. Nor have I found decent monolingual dictionaries for the Kindle in these languages.

I wonder if better foreign language dictionaries are in the works for the Kindle.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hola,

Has tratado este?

http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webste.../dp/B002ROKQUG

Yo en realidad leo poco en espanol, aunque es mi Idioma natal, pero te aconsejo una busqueda en Amazon o via Google.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Hola, Jo. He buscado en Amazon y el Merriam-Webster tal vez sea una opción, aunque la verdad es que busco algo mejor, con más palabras o, mejor todavía, un buen diccionario monolingüe.

Un crítico en Amazon dice lo siguiente del Merriam-Webster.

While reading books designed for students of Spanish (like first and second year) I was disappointed in the number of words that both the dictionary and I did not know.

I want a more comprehensive dictionary. There are several for sale at MobiPocket. And Amazon owns MobiPocket....

A ver si encuentro uno en MobiPocket.

Gracias por tu ayuda.

Un saludo,

Ek

Last edited by Ekdog; 01-09-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Another member posted a free Spanish-English dictionary here, and someone else's project is assembling GPLed foreign translation dictionaries.

I don't know how good they are, but perhaps worth a try.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
AdrianLesher
AdrianLesher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Has anyone found a Portuguese-English dictionary converted from Stardict or elsewhere that works with the Kindle 3's lookup function? I've tried the Stardict conversion myself, but I'm apparently not doing it right.
AdrianLesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
nayito2
nayito2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
here somewhere in the forum there´s a tip on how to do it and where to get the dictionaries, i have a couple in spanish (Larousse and others) and some english-spanish and german -spanish and they work great. You just have to change the default dictionary depending on the language you are reading. I have the dictionaries files but i don´t know if i´m allowed to just send them to you, maybe i can email them to you. Greetings from Chile!
nayito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
sorin
Connoisseur
sorin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Take a look at this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...00#post1375100
sorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Ekdog
Connoisseur

From what I've seen, the Portuguese dictionaries are rubbish--a complete waste of time for Lusophones or serious students of the language who want to read native-level books. This is so frustrating! One would think that Amazon would want to remedy this situation and open up the world of e-books to millions of potential customers.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
It looks like a much better Spanish-English dictionary is available now, as May 26, 2011. ($16.99)

http://www.amazon.com/HarperCollins-...dp/B0052ZQNVI/

Claims to have 255,000 entries versus the 50,000 entries in Barron's, which was the previous best (I think).

It is formatted so that it can be the default Kindle dictionary.

I still did not find a decent all-Spanish Kindle dictionary (Spanish to Spanish). I am wondering, when someone buys a Kindle in Spain or Latin America, does the Kindle come with a Spanish dictionary at all?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle