Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Help adjusting line size, please.

I'm trying to use Calibre to convert either a txt or rtf file to epub and it's not behaving the way Calibre usually does!

Usually, I just hit the convert button and everything comes out fine. Sometimes I need to click on the 'remove space between paragraphs' and then everything comes out looking quite bookish.

But... for one group of four books I have, I'm getting a one or two word wordwrap so every other line only has the one or two words in it. I'm sure there is some simple setting that I need to change to correct this, but I seem to be simpler than the simple setting as I can't figure out what I need to do.

HelllllllPPPP!!!!

Thanks,
Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
it sounds like you have hard line breaks in your file, particularly if you are starting from txt. since you're converting rtf, in word, click on the button to show invisible characters (it should look like a paragraph mark). if you see paragraph returns at the end of every line, that is the problem. you can do a search and replace to remove them : first, do a search and replace for two paraghraph signs in a row, and replace them with something like a tab (look in "special" for these when in the search dialogue box). if you have an empty line between paragraphs, this will preserve them. then you can search for single paragraph marks : don't put anything in the replace box, and hit "replace all". then go back and change the tabs (or whatever you used) back to double (or single, if you prefer) paragraph returns. that should fix it.

just be careful if you *don't* have a double break at the end of a real paragraph ; in that case your whole book will turn into one loooooong paragraph, and you'll have to fix it by hand.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Save the text as HTML, then have Calibre convert it.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks, folks. Both of these solved my main problem, and even offered me a peek into the workings of Word, a program that I rarely use. (I always been a fan of Lotus WordPro, using is since the old AmiPro of Windows 3)

Now I have some new tools that I can use, not just for this book issue, but in solving other problems too! Learning is fun! Thanks again.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
The hard line breaks are usually one of the main problems when converting files and I have seen that this also have solved my problems. Thanks for the advice.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert