Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Need a good hard-boiled book to warm my cockles during the coming cold months

PLEASE: No paranormal romance or romantic paranormal suggestions. No urban fantasies or robot investigators. No cutesy 'baking investigator' mysteries. PLEASE!

Give me worn gumshoes and a world-weary attitude, and a man (or woman) who constantly needs a shave. I want noir attitude! Pulp novels are OK. First person narratives are, of course, mandatory.

NOTE: I've already read almost all the classics. (Raymond Chandler, John D. MacDonald, Horace McCoy, David Goodis, Frederick Nebel, Gil Brewster, Jonathan Craig, Charles Willeford, Frank Kane, Orrie Hitt, Day Keene, Ross MacDonald, Brett Halliday, Stephen Marlowe, Dashiell Hammett, Otto Penzler collections [Ed.], Cornell Woolrich [William Irish], and et al.)

Your suggestions will be 'investigated' and the winning ebook will be announced right here (along with a mandatory post on cooking, which seems to be the currently preferred method for engaging in OT subjects).

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE: Any noir or 50s pulp paperback or hard-boiled suggestion is 'A-OK', as you can infer from the list above.

Epub or AZW3 is fine.

No PDF - please! (I'm not a masochist.)

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-24-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: 'Bret' to 'Brett'
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
You haven't mentioned James Hadley Chase and while I'm sure you've read him, too, I'll note that there are a bunch of cheap Kindle editions of his books available.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...rnid=618072011
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You haven't mentioned James Hadley Chase and while I'm sure you've read him, too, I'll note that there are a bunch of cheap Kindle editions of his books available.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...rnid=618072011

I've read one James Hadley Chase. (I'll have to check calibre to see which one it was. I'll post later when I find it.)

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Not one book, but a whole edition of Hard Case Crime, in case you missed any?
http://www.hardcasecrime.com/
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If your pot is big enough, I think Finnegan's Wake should boil nicely. It's a lot better than trying to read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I've read one James Hadley Chase. (I'll have to check calibre to see which one it was. I'll post later when I find it.)

Thanks.
I'll guess it's the classic No Orchids for Miss Blandish (which is a must-read if you haven't).
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'll guess it's the classic No Orchids for Miss Blandish (which is a must-read if you haven't).
I'm familiar with the title, but I have yet to read it.

The one Chase book I have read is "12 Chinks and a Woman" (apparently renamed, after WWII, as "Twelve Chinamen and a Woman"). I read this about 2-3 years ago, but I can't seem to recall anything about it.

By the way, for anyone else who may be interested in Chase, there's a whole series of his books available from Amazon for .99 cents each.

https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Chinks...a+woman+kindle
Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If your pot is big enough, I think Finnegan's Wake should boil nicely. It's a lot better than trying to read it.
I read portions of this when I was taking a seminar course on the Experimental Novel.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Not one book, but a whole edition of Hard Case Crime, in case you missed any?
http://www.hardcasecrime.com/
I have well over a 100 titles in this great series.

Highly recommended, if one enjoys hard-boiled fiction!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

By the way, for anyone else who may be interested in Chase, there's a whole series of his books available from Amazon for .99 cents each.
Didn't I just say that?

Psst! It's 99¢ or 99 cents or $0.99. At .99 cent, they'd be very cheap indeed.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth series?

http://www.malcolmpryce.com/

ETA Malcolm Pryce page on Goodreads

Last edited by Witty Username; 07-24-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: goodreads link
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
PLEASE: No paranormal romance or romantic paranormal suggestions. No urban fantasies or robot investigators. No cutesy 'baking investigator' mysteries. PLEASE!

Give me worn gumshoes and a world-weary attitude, and a man (or woman) who constantly needs a shave. I want noir attitude! Pulp novels are OK. First person narratives are, of course, mandatory.

NOTE: I've already read almost all the classics. (Raymond Chandler, John D. MacDonald, Horace McCoy, David Goodis, Frederick Nebel, Gil Brewster, Jonathan Craig, Charles Willeford, Frank Kane, Orrie Hitt, Day Keene, Ross MacDonald, Brett Halliday, Stephen Marlowe, Dashiell Hammett, Otto Penzler collections [Ed.], Cornell Woolrich [William Irish], and et al.)

Your suggestions will be 'investigated' and the winning ebook will be announced right here (along with a mandatory post on cooking, which seems to be the currently preferred method for engaging in OT subjects).

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE: Any noir or 50s pulp paperback or hard-boiled suggestion is 'A-OK', as you can infer from the list above.

Epub or AZW3 is fine.

No PDF - please! (I'm not a masochist.)

Your help is appreciated.
I recommend the Garrett, P.I. series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_P.I.

Garrett, P.I.
1. Sweet Silver Blues (1987)
2. Bitter Gold Hearts (1988)
3. Cold Copper Tears (1988)
4. Old Tin Sorrows (1989)
5. Dread Brass Shadows (1990)
6. Red Iron Nights (1991)
7. Deadly Quicksilver Lies (1994)
8. Petty Pewter Gods (1995)
9. Faded Steel Heat (1999)
10. Angry Lead Skies (2002)
11. Whispering Nickel Idols (2005)
12. Cruel Zinc Melodies (2008)
13. Gilded Latten Bones (2010)
14. Wicked Bronze Ambition (2013)

Except for being Fantasy this series meets all of your requirements and has humor, although it is not comedy. Give it a try.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Didn't I just say that?

Psst! It's 99¢ or 99 cents or $0.99. At .99 cent, they'd be very cheap indeed.

You sure did! I missed reading the link.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I recommend the Garrett, P.I. series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_P.I.

Garrett, P.I.
1. Sweet Silver Blues (1987)
2. Bitter Gold Hearts (1988)
3. Cold Copper Tears (1988)
4. Old Tin Sorrows (1989)
5. Dread Brass Shadows (1990)
6. Red Iron Nights (1991)
7. Deadly Quicksilver Lies (1994)
8. Petty Pewter Gods (1995)
9. Faded Steel Heat (1999)
10. Angry Lead Skies (2002)
11. Whispering Nickel Idols (2005)
12. Cruel Zinc Melodies (2008)
13. Gilded Latten Bones (2010)
14. Wicked Bronze Ambition (2013)

Except for being Fantasy this series meets all of your requirements and has humor, although it is not comedy. Give it a try.
Apache

I appreciate your suggestions, but I'll pass on any fantasy.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Some Novels I liked

"Clea's Moon" by Edward Wright Update: Wright seems to have stopped selling ebooks!
"Cocaine and Blue Eyes" by Fred Zackle

The above are rather traditional "Noir" type novels

"Bangkok Burn" and "Bangkok Wet" by Simon Royle

Wonderful "noir" style books from the perspective of the criminals.

I think I learned about all of these through the various forums on mobileread.com

And for something a little different "The Last PI" series by Richard Bowker

Dover Beach
The Distance Beacons
Where All the Ladders Start

A wonderful set of novels set in a post apocalyptic Boston, MA. The hero, is addicted to hard boiled detective novels and sets up a Detective Agency, and in spite the crumbling world around him, he learns that human nature including Greed, Lust, Fear, and Hate seems to always be with us. This isn't a spoof or a comedy, it is done in a serious mystery novel manner.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 07-24-2017 at 10:21 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote