Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A 'possible' AC charger?

I have a small Sony MP3 player that I picked up at a market along the Thai/Burmese border. (This means that the name 'Sony' might not indicate what is actually inside the player... ) The device works well, and has for the past two years though.

It is charged with either a USB/computer cord or with that same cord plugged into an AC charger. The back of the AC charger says 'output 5v+/- .2

The Sony 505 charger requires either USB/computer or an AC charger with an output of 5.2v. Do I dare?

All knowledgeable comments or completely off-the-wall guesswork accepted.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Reader won't charge via USB with a wall charger; you need a charger which connects to the "charger" socket rather than the USB socket on the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Reader won't charge via USB with a wall charger; you need a charger which connects to the "charger" socket rather than the USB socket on the Reader.
Thanks Harry. Now I have to go out and spend seven million dollars on a Sony charger..... humbug....

But, on the other hand, I didn't get to blow up my 505 so I guess a little knowledge is actually a wonderful thing.!

Stitchawl
Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Thanks Harry. Now I have to go out and spend seven million dollars on a Sony charger..... humbug....

But, on the other hand, I didn't get to blow up my 505 so I guess a little knowledge is actually a wonderful thing.!

Stitchawl
Get a PSP charger. You can usually find them for under $15 (I got mine at Target on clearance for $8, and it was even the Sony branded one).

And it wouldn't have blown it up I don't think, it would have just started to drain the battery.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, as lilac_jive says, any PSP charger will work fine with the Reader, and they can be picked up at very low prices at virtually any "games" store. The PSP has identical charging requirements to the Reader - even Sony themselves recommend buying PSP chargers!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the tips.
While there aren't any 'Target' stores here, there are plenty of game shops! (Japan adds a whole new dimension to the definition of the word 'plenty' when it comes to game shop! ) I have to go into downtown Osaka tomorrow and I'll be near the computer district. I'm sure I can find exactly what I need there. (And probably a whole lot of other stuff that I simply can't live without while I'm looking around! )
Thanks again.

Stitchawl
Old 04-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the tips.
While there aren't any 'Target' stores here, there are plenty of game shops! (Japan adds a whole new dimension to the definition of the word 'plenty' when it comes to game shop! ) I have to go into downtown Osaka tomorrow and I'll be near the computer district. I'm sure I can find exactly what I need there. (And probably a whole lot of other stuff that I simply can't live without while I'm looking around! )
Thanks again.

Stitchawl
Oh I forgot, you're in Japan I think you won't have a problem
Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Get a PSP charger. You can usually find them for under $15 (I got mine at Target on clearance for $8, and it was even the Sony branded one).
GOOD TO KNOW...I heard the psp chargers were cheap, but I thought that was only on ebay. I am hesitant to buy anything on ebay because I was scammed by paypal last year.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
GOOD TO KNOW...I heard the psp chargers were cheap, but I thought that was only on ebay. I am hesitant to buy anything on ebay because I was scammed by paypal last year.
Me too (not scammed, but hesitant to buy on ebay). You can get them super cheap on ebay, but you can get them for half the price of the reader charger in a retail store.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I'm wondering if the fact that the voltages are different might play into the equation? The US uses 110V-117V while Japan is on a 100V system. I'm going to guess here and imagine that the outputs are the same regardless.

Stitchawl
Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I don't think there's going to be any problems. I imported a PSP from Japan and compared the charger with the one that came with the US version. Voltage/amperage/polarity are the same.

Input: 100V-240V ~ 0.3A 50/60Hz
Output: 5V, 2A

The chargers were for the PSP-1000 series. Looking at the input voltage, seems like you can even use it in Europe, just need to change the plug.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Hi..

Typically the transformer will keep the voltage output steady despite the voltage input... So I think you'll be OK...

Here's an option (http://tinyurl.com/dfn5mr) that I bought so that I could just use the same USB chargers that I have already.. There's also some nice retractable ones out there that you probably can get in Japan, do a search for "Power and Data Cable for PSP"...

Hope this helps..
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I have just finished to charge my 505 with a normal usb cable connected to a wall (usb) power charger.

I do agree that a psp is much faster and useful (one can keep on reading when charging).

I myself use normally a external general laptop battery who has several tips (one is for the psp) … works like charm and I did not need to buy anything new.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Just got home from my trip to La-la land; Osaka's computer district and a three-floor department store for JUST PlayStation!

They must have had at least 12-15 different types and brands of chargers. Everything from AC only, AC plus USB, USB only, AC charger plus USB data port, retractable cables, Multi-colored cables, etc., etc., etc. Prices rand from $6 USD to $20 USD. All handled voltages from 100 to 240, which is good because I travel to a lot of SE Asian countries that use 240, and always have to carry adaptor plugs for the different socket shapes. Oddly enough, I've only find one country (Thailand,) that has sockets that can handle three different plug configurations. Anyway, I now have two different chargers to try out and play with, so I'm listening to music to I can run down the battery more quickly to see how well they work.

Harry, the clerk in the store tells me that it should charge from the AC to USB, so I picked up a cheap one of those to try... I'll let you know if I have any success with it. I know that you said it won't work, but someone else here said that they use it. I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know the outcome. If it doesn't work, the worst that should happen is that I'm out six bucks. That's the price of a cup of coffee here. That type of charger avoids carrying the heavy brick of the regular AC charger when traveling.

Stitchawl
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
It'll be interesting to hear you're experience Stickawl. I know I've tried the USB charge and it did indeed drain my battery instead of charging. But, I believe I've read posts by people who've had success with it.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote