Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #76
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've read some indies most have went on to be picked up by a mainstream publisher. I'm a big fan of first person narration and we have indies to thank for that changed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:13 AM   #77
Steven Bright
Steven Bright began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
This is a great information. i'm glad to have seen it!
Steven Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #78
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Far too narrow and stereotypical definition. I don't write to "Books intended for women" or "Books intended for men." Some writers may, but in general, we write for readers. Harry Potter books have all of the things you describe as for women or for men. Thousands of mystery books contain all those elements (Elizabeth Peters, Linda Fairstein, Carol O'Connell). Many fantasy novels have all of these elements as well.

Yes, men and women are different, but many books are not written with men or women in mind. Marketing machines may break them down into such and put covers on that are believed to attract certain readers. But those covers are often redone during reprints to appeal to a "different" audience than the primary cover.
I don't disagree that it's stereotypical; but if the "professionalization" of marketing (and/or publishing) has had any consequences, it's that publishers have come up with very set ideas about what "sells", buttressed by (focus group) "research". Which is why, e.g., one could well argue that children's toys have become even more gender-segregated in the past 20 years, even as society is supposedly becoming more aware of the fact that this means fitting square pegs into round holes.
my $5c: it may well be that this is changing now, due to the readier access to PoD services + fewer editors breathing over shoulders. idk. I don't read much fiction any more these days. I've read HP, but I didn't find that all that interesting, char-dev-wise.
As for teen sf&f lit: yes, it's in some ways less stereotypizing. Having said that, I can't say that I'm all that impressed with the psychological depth given to most child/teen protagonists, whether male or female. Though that may have been because most of the authors I read when I was young were of the male persuasion.
Anyway, off for a few weeks, so I'll leave it here.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #79
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I've read some indies most have went on to be picked up by a mainstream publisher. I'm a big fan of first person narration and we have indies to thank for that changed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Some.
Not most.

And of those, some either keep on doing Indie releases as "hybrid" authors, or go right back to Indie-land as quickly as possible.

The math just doesn't work in tradpub's favor. Shortly before selling Harlequin off to HarperCollins, Torstar said in their last quarterly financial report that their decline in sales was due to competition from lower priced Indie titles. And Harlequin in its day used to be the low price leader in both print and digital for a variety (of unsavory) reasons.

Here, check this case study:

http://qz.com/711924/maverick-women-...n-the-process/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote