Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
If I may suggest: words are words. It is how they are used that is offensive. In this case, it was used to make a point about the nature of reality. It shouldn't be offensive unless you find reality offensive. Which, alas, it sometimes is.
How about racial and ethnic slurs, or other derogatory terms? Do they belong among the graffiti as well?

It's not about "reality," it's about what is appropriate to get the message across.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's not about "reality," it's about what is appropriate to get the message across.
Which would naturally vary from recipient to recipient I'd wager.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #33
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Censorship is still censorship, no matter how you wish to justify it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Censorship is still censorship, no matter how you wish to justify it.
Oh for gosh sake. An opinion on what is appropriate or inappropriate is not censorship.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I did not even notice what was said until you mentioned it.

Of course traveling around inner cities I have seen far worse. It's life. Unfortunately perhaps, but still life.
I didn't either. I had to go back and look at it to see what the fuss was about.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Oh for gosh sake. An opinion on what is appropriate or inappropriate is not censorship.
No. but removing the whole reason for the thread from the OP is, thank goodness that Tom decided to at least leave the link.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #37
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
How about racial and ethnic slurs, or other derogatory terms? Do they belong among the graffiti as well?
The meaning of words depends upon the context that they are used in, and the meaning is the important part.

To use your example of racial slurs: CBC radio broadcast a program about a particular racial slur a few years back. It discussed things like the origin and meaning of the word, how people responded negatively to it, as well as how some people were adopting the word as a symbol of pride (so that it would lose it's power as a slur). The program was framed as an intellectual conversation. There was only one problem: they refused to say the word throughout the program, they said "(letter)-word" instead. If you can't even use a particular word while discussing it, how open and honest can that conversation be?

Now I'm not arguing that we should be using these words gratuitously. We certainly should not be using these words in hurtful ways. Yet there are times when these words can be used to positive ends.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #38
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Let's leave gosh out of it.

Thanks to the OP for posting and to everyone else for finding the original image and text. Great message.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #39
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Dare I say, that is exactly what censorship is. What one person, or a group of persons, deems as appropriate for everyone else.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Dare I say, that is exactly what censorship is. What one person, or a group of persons, deems as appropriate for everyone else.
Please. In what alternate universe do you reside where MY expression of MY opinion equals censorship?

Gee, I could respond that YOU have decided what's "appropriate for everyone else" by expressing your opinion.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #41
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I love that image...it describes exactly how books were for me years ago
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #42
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
No thought-crime allowed here...
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #43
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
FWIW, I love the original photo in post #1, and I do think it loses a bit by being cleaned up, but I still removed it (but left a link where the original can be viewed) from the original post because I don't feel that it's safe for the workplace. It's regrettable, but I feel if we're going to retain our family-friendly/workplace-safe reputation, it needed to be done. You can lay all the blame with me.
Was this really necessary? Are we beginning to censure art here??
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #44
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Was this really necessary? Are we beginning to censure art here??
Point 1 of the posting guidelines includes this statement:
Quote:
MobileRead is intended to be a family-safe and work-safe website. Please post accordingly.
I think it's reasonable to say that the image is neither family-safe nor work-safe. Given that, it's entirely reasonable to remove it.

As much as I like the image (though I'd prefer the original Russian caption or no caption at all - I think the image is strong enough that a caption isn't required), it doesn't fit with the posting guidelines. Replacing the image with a link to the original and a note that it is not safe for work seems, to me, to be an entirely reasonable response.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #45
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, I am glad that these posting guidelines exist, that we are "forced" to treat us kindly, friendly, with respect, no name calling, not to be insulting ... But in my opinion we have a different case here as someone sets theirselves up to be the censor of arts.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote