Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I couldn't care less if a device I own is considered cool. I buy what meets my needs and assume that others do the same.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
LOL. You do not have teenage kids and, obviously, were never a teen yourself.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
The iOS interface is terribly stale. Which would be OK if it weren't so inflexible. They gave users virtually no way to customize it except for a new wallpaper.

I jailbroke my Touch solely to get widgets easily accessible from the home screen to easily toggle wi-fi on and off. But once it was jailbroken, I customized the interface with icons, wallpaper, and custom screen and docking layouts to just how I like it. I can't go back now to the stock interface. Whenever I see it, it looks so drab and even a bit ugly compared to how I now have my Touch looking.

I'm guessing a lot of kids are finding the same thing out -- and that Android has so much more flexibility for customizing the user interface. If one of their friends has a cool-looking layout on their Android phone and they can't even change the look of their iPhone, they may want to switch.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 01-12-2013 at 11:59 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
We have four Fires. We passed on Gen 2 because Gen 1 is still great for us and we want to check out the aPhones. I've used the Surface a lot and I like it. I like the magnetic keyboard and the built in stand. I like that it runs Windows. I like the size and weight. It will be difficult to decide when the time comes.
I should mention that Amazon Prime is the reason this decision will be difficult. If I could swap Netflix for Prime, it would be a no brainer. So far, Amazon's jack-of-all-trades has failed to lure me away from the Master. There's a pull, but my feet remain on planet Netflix. Can't wait to see the aPhone and hope Prime gets better soon!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
The iOS interface is terribly stale. Which would be OK if it weren't so inflexible. They gave users virtually no way to customize it except for a new wallpaper
^ This. It's been 5 years since introduction, and it has not changed, all you have is a grid of icons, with the option to create folders. Compare Android where it was in 2009 and where it is now, and it's night and day.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
I have never been in an Apple Store where the iStaff did not outnumber the
consumers. Unless you are counting employees, the Apple Stores where I live are empty between product launches.

FWIW, my college kid and my high school freshman both want Samsung phones. I'm pushing back to see what Amazon does.
My advice don't android devices without google services. Is a fools bargain.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
My advice don't android devices without google services. Is a fools bargain.
No one ever said I wasn't a fool. Since I bought my Atari 400 in the 80s, my selection process is...
  1. Make a list of all the stuff you want to do with a computer
  2. Make a list of all the programs that will do what you want to satisfaction
  3. Make a list of all the computers that will run the programs to satisfaction
  4. Shop for price
I've never chosen an operating system per se. It just happens that the answer, for me, is usually Windows. The Fire was an exception. My Blackberry was an exception. Apple has never bubbled up for me. Ditto on Linux and Android.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
I should mention that Amazon Prime is the reason this decision will be difficult. If I could swap Netflix for Prime, it would be a no brainer. So far, Amazon's jack-of-all-trades has failed to lure me away from the Master. There's a pull, but my feet remain on planet Netflix. Can't wait to see the aPhone and hope Prime gets better soon!
Drop a line stating this to Jeff Bezos, although he probably is already working on it.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Drop a line stating this to Jeff Bezos, although he probably is already working on it.
I'm sure you are right. I suspect too that Amazon saw that magnetic keyboard and said, "Let's do that!" I expect amazing things from the major players. I have not been this excited about computers for twenty years.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Well yes it is hard to ever see it in that light when my parents and aunt and uncle have iPhones.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Apple has been the king of the hill for a while now, so people trying to push them down is to be expected. It's quite interesting when people start to make "observations" (such as this one), but are really just expressing what they would like to see. It's just as curious as when "analysts" claim that the iPhone is dead, yet every year iOS dominates the records for mobile browsing, mobile shopping, mobile photo-taking, etc. Apple would quite simply not be doing so well if it was no longer "cool". Being a young adult myself, I still have to interact with teenagers often and it's simple : 50% of them have iPhones, 40% want one but can't afford it, and the remaining 10% will say that Android is better because it's more popular.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #27
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
50% of them have iPhones, 40% want one but can't afford it, and the remaining 10% will say that Android is better because it's more popular.
hm, according to this research, iphone users are more prone to debt...just one sentence from this...
"In fact, a YouGov poll found that a fifth of Apple users admitted that their bank account is always overdrawn, and generally, iPhone users were more likely to have a lesser paying job than Android or Blackberry owners."
check under: dude, you're barista from samsung commercial :-)

http://news.payplan.com/why-iphone-5...t-infographic/

Last edited by Tacty; 01-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I couldn't care less if a device I own is considered cool. I buy what meets my needs and assume that others do the same.
Quote:
LOL. You do not have teenage kids and, obviously, were never a teen yourself.
I also could care less if a device I own is cool or in. Although I have never assumed others did the same. I have been like this my entire life. And yes I do have a child who was once a teenager.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
^ This. It's been 5 years since introduction, and it has not changed, all you have is a grid of icons, with the option to create folders. Compare Android where it was in 2009 and where it is now, and it's night and day.
What I say now is directed toward "mobile devices."

I would say that Apple is like day time and things work, but Android is like Star bursts in the Night, just spectacular and glorious.

MS is like a foggy day on the marsh.

For "productivity machines" such as notebooks, laptops, desktops, the MS and Apple machines still lead, but Chrome is coming!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #30
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
It's quite interesting when people start to make "observations" (such as this one), but are really just expressing what they would like to see. It's just as curious as when "analysts" claim...
Welcome to the 21st century. The objective of pundits is to influence not report. This isn't an Apple thing (though both sides excel at it). Lies, d@mn lies, and statistics.

Any significance to your username?