Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Unprecedented Demand!

I took the plunge and ordered an Iliad from Libresco this morning. I soon had an email back from the MD (who's been very helpful answering several technical questions in the past few weeks) saying he'd let me know when it would arrive as soon as he had a tracking order for delivery. I've just had another email to let me know that the European distribution hub has run out due to "unprecedented demand" since the new year, but I'm at the top of the list when more go out in the last week of January.

I'm obviously a bit disappointed, but OTOH, "unprecedented demand" seems like a positive thing. It seems to bode well for the future of the device.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, they are not the only ones who are now out of stock
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Sure wish we knew something quantitative about how the sales for ebook readers have been lately.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Sure wish we knew something quantitative about how the sales for ebook readers have been lately.
Yeah! I'd like that too but when you ask someone it's like asking a couple what's going on under the covers.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's all Amazon's fault. If they hadn't brought attention to ebook readers in promoting the Kindle, it wouldn't beso hard to get one. I curse thee, Amazon!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's all Amazon's fault. If they hadn't brought attention to ebook readers in promoting the Kindle, it wouldn't beso hard to get one. I curse thee, Amazon!
Could be Amazon are cursing themselves, since by making the Kindle incompatible with Europe, they're effectively boosting sales of their competitors' products :-)
Old 01-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Right now Amazon doesn't give a rat's ass about network incompatibilities. The Kindle is sold out over a month in advance. The shipping date is so far away that Amazon won't even quote it anymore.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle is not sold out over a month in advance. It's just hard to get the screens so it's going to take a while to get enough stock to do a batch ship.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't follow ... the screens have to get to the assembler (assuming that that isn't PVI) before Amazon can get any of the devices ... how does that differ from Amazon being sold out of them?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle is not sold out over a month in advance. It's just hard to get the screens so it's going to take a while to get enough stock to do a batch ship.
So, there's obviously a shortage of e-paper screens. Must be caused by the shortage of e-ink, itself a sad legacy of the overfishing of e-squid.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
So, there's obviously a shortage of e-paper screens. Must be caused by the shortage of e-ink, itself a sad legacy of the overfishing of e-squid.

Thanks, I needed that.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:45 AM   #12
Lazycat
Enthusiast
Lazycat began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
I also intended to buy the Kindle when Amazon promoted it, but when I found that both of the device and the contents are not available outside US, I searched for other similar devices and found the iLiad!

I bought one and loved it so much! Thanks to Amazon!
Lazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Well, they are not the only ones who are now out of stock
Tribble,

Have you seen the demand for the iLiad go up since the Kindle release?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Have you seen the demand for the iLiad go up since the Kindle release?
No, not significantly. But its not that much of a deal here in germany. Most people still have never heard of it anyway. And those who know about it, have been interested in the technology before, so they usually know about the other readers beforehand.

And since i am selling only since end of august and it has been christmas time, i really cannot tell wether the kindle has pushed sales or seasonal reasins. I have seen sales go up during december though.

But its still a niche market and i could not live from the sales. I am not a traditional trader, i just happened to be very enthusiastic about the e-ink technology and wanted to spread the tech. But the sales are higher than i would have expected.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
dkm365
dkm365 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Palm T|X
I'm another who while I've been curious about e-readers, was prompted by the Kindle publicity to take a closer look. While the Kindle has some pluses (esp. the NY Times subscription delivery & the easy access to an online bookstore), the works everywhere bit is a joke even in much of the U.S. as the Sprint data network is so spotty and wifi hotspots are more available, and the attempt to not only to tie you to Amazon but also having Amazon know so much info about your use habits was a real non-starter for me.

After my usual obsessing over options, I bought an iLiad (the U.S. distributor has them in stock even though iRex appears to be out of stock). I'm an academic, so the ability to annotate readings was an important feature, which narrowed the field. I hope that iRex &/or the small community of wonderful volunteer hackers can make annotation on the mobipocket reader work in the near future to compliment the .pdf capability. The bigger screen for .pdf viewing was the other major plus that all the competition lacked. I hope that iRex recognizes the potential market with scholars and takes advantage of the edge it has. While there still are too few electronic versions of scholarly books, the increasing access to .pdf versions of journal articles make for a lot of paper to manage without a good way to read these electronically without the eye strain of regular computer monitors.

Can't wait to figure out all the potential of my new toy!
dkm365 is offline   Reply With Quote