Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #361
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
And here's the noob again, asking for help!

I updated my Kindle Touch to 5.3.7 (just because I wanted to check if komic works there...)!

Everything is gone, and I knew it.
I'm setting the kindle again, starting with the usbnetwork.

Usbnetwork works fine over USB, logging in with every possible password.

On the other hand, I can't login in WiFi mode.
It seems the password isn't correct: I changed it one year ago when first installing usbnet and I do remember it!
The kindletool doesn't provide a correct password (yep, it is no longer the stock one!)

Any clue?
How I managed to change my root password simply updating the kindle?
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #362
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
K5-Touch, version-5.3.7

Because the firmware 5.3.7 image is a "complete" image.
Reinstalls any /etc/passwd file or replacement linkage to /mnt/us/etc.

Since you do have access via USBnetworking (probably both ssh and telnet), it should be just a matter of setting things up again from the git-go.

Using Kubrick **with de-selection of the option to over-write the main image** should do a lot of the work for you.

Last edited by knc1; 07-29-2013 at 05:50 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #363
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, using kubrick without flashing the main partition should solve the problem...
This means I can have back my password or the default password?
Sorry...I feel so dumb tonight...
Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #364
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Actually, the root account is locked on FW 5.3.x, so I have no idea if setting a password via passwd helps or not, but it does work pretty well with shared keys auth.

On one hand, you shouldn't need to use Kubrick just to change the root passwd, just use the passwd tool over usb, and tell us if it shouts at you because of the locked account .

On the other hand, if it fails, and you don't want to use shared keys, then, yeah, maybe Kubrick resets the shadow/passwd files as part of some of the process, can't say, you'd have to ask people more familiar with Kubrick .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #365
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Actually, the root account is locked on FW 5.3.x, so I have no idea if setting a password via passwd helps or not, but it does work pretty well with shared keys auth.

On one hand, you shouldn't need to use Kubrick just to change the root passwd, just use the passwd tool over usb, and tell us if it shouts at you because of the locked account .
It shouldn't. You're root, after all. If all else fails, set the password using passwd, and then manually open the /etc/shadow file and edit out the "!". But that shouldn't be necessary (I haven't tried it though, so I'm only... like 80% sure).

Quote:
On the other hand, if it fails, and you don't want to use shared keys, then, yeah, maybe Kubrick resets the shadow/passwd files as part of some of the process, can't say, you'd have to ask people more familiar with Kubrick .
Nope, Kubrick doesn't touch the passwd file. It only touches the main partition if the jailbreak is to be installed - in which case it creates that single file, and nothing else.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #366
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
So, using kubrick without flashing the main partition should solve the problem...
This means I can have back my password or the default password?
Sorry...I feel so dumb tonight...
Ah, not what I meant, I wasn't being clear.
Sorry, it has been a long day here.

I meant that Kubrick would help with re-installing some of the other parts of support stuff.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 AM   #367
silver18
THE NOOB

So I should try the passwd root to change the password.
Isn't it possible to boot into diags (with ENABLE_DIAGS) then copy the /etc/shadow and place it in main? It should reset the password to default (mario?!)?
Or, another one: copy the main /ect/shadow then use john the ripper to crack the password.

But, with case 2 & 3 (diags shadow and main shadow), how can I change the password then?

I'm just reading and asking, as I don't have my kindle here...I'll try this evening!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #368
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Isn't it possible to boot into diags (with ENABLE_DIAGS) then copy the /etc/shadow and place it in main? It should reset the password to default (mario?!)?
Or, another one: copy the main /ect/shadow then use john the ripper to crack the password.

But, with case 2 & 3 (diags shadow and main shadow), how can I change the password then?

I'm just reading and asking, as I don't have my kindle here...I'll try this evening!
I would suggest a modification to your #1 -
* Don't move the entire file, just move the root line
* Do move the root line of both /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd
(I.E: Make a consistent change to both files from diag to main.)

**THEN**
If you don't like the password you end up with, use the passwd utility to change it.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #369
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Copying the /etc/(passwd|shadow) from diags to main is not a good idea. I don't know if they're used, but there are a couple of accounts defined in there, and they're very likely to be different between diags and main.

Why don't you simply take the easy route? Install usbnetwork, launch it, connect via USB (any password will do), then execute passwd and set a new one. Who cares whether the original root password was disabled, or what it was?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #370
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I would suggest a modification to your #1 -
* Don't move the entire file, just move the root line
* Do move the root line of both /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd
(I.E: Make a consistent change to both files from diag to main.)

**THEN**
If you don't like the password you end up with, use the passwd utility to change it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Copying the /etc/(passwd|shadow) from diags to main is not a good idea. I don't know if they're used, but there are a couple of accounts defined in there, and they're very likely to be different between diags and main.

Why don't you simply take the easy route? Install usbnetwork, launch it, connect via USB (any password will do), then execute passwd and set a new one. Who cares whether the original root password was disabled, or what it was?

I sure will try first the passwd method!
I'm just thinking at the worst case scenario...
I'll let you all know something later! In the meanwhile, thanks to all!!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #371
silver18
THE NOOB

Everything is working fine!
passwd worked just as expected!

Still, I can't understand why 5.3.7 wiped my password and why it didn't set the default password (the one provided by kindletool)!

Thanks to all!!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #372
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Everything is working fine!
passwd worked just as expected!

Still, I can't understand why 5.3.7 wiped my password and why it didn't set the default password (the one provided by kindletool)!
Because the 5.3.7 is a full update which overwrites the entire main partition, including the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files - and Amazon doesn't give a damn about the default passwords that we'd like to have.*

(*) In fact, for once I agree with them that disabling the root password per default is a sensible choice.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #373
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab: I agree, but I'm curious as to how that translates on a getty prompt over serial?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #374
Alkhabiru
Alkhabiru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can't connect

I can't connect via SSH to my Kindle. The first lines of the protocol appear in the terminal (on Linux), it asks me if I'm ready to continue (yes/no), I type yes, it freezes then times out. Also, I'd like to connect from my Mac, what manual configuration do I need to do exactly?
Alkhabiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #375
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Alkhabiru: You'll have to figure out how to setup the usb network interface with OS X's playskool UI, but after that, Mac == Linux in this case (OS X comes with OpenSSH installed).

The issue you describe vaguely sound like an IP/routing conflict, so check USBNet's config, and your local network, and see if you can figure out what might clash.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch