Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #61
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

mocelet said:
> But bowerbird, there might be a reason to wait for it

yes, you're absolutely right! there might be! :+)

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #62
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
But bowerbird, there might be a reason to wait for it, it is rumoured to have features that no other reader has...
Although you were addressing someone else. I think the only thing missing would be a stylus input. It may not sound like a big deal, but I did have a chance to use my ebookwise for a literature class, and being able to highlight passages, do an instant dictionary lookup were very useful. PDAs, Pocket Pcs, Ebookwise, and Iliad have this feature. So either Kindle could use the touchscreen style input(I hope not, the resolution would be bad), or do the wacom style input. If it's the wacom style input, and it comes out at a fraction of the price of the Iliad, just at 400, it would be a great device just on price point alone.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
It almost certainly has some sort of cell based wireless access, be it EVDO or GSM data. This is different from all other devices, but it might only access Amazon's own online bookstore and be next to pointless.

It may be available in Europe. Until last week, the only other device officially available in Europe is the iLiad, which costs significantly more than the Kindle is rumoured to. The Gen3 modifies this point, but this is a recent development.
IF it uses EVDO, that would rule out its use in Europe. EVDO is CDMA technology; European mobile phone networks are exclusively GSM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #64
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
IF it uses EVDO, that would rule out its use in Europe. EVDO is CDMA technology; European mobile phone networks are exclusively GSM.
Indeed, hence my "or GSM data" comment.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #65
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

c'mon, you guys, you gotta keep up with the speculation.

brad stone's latest spin (er, i mean "article") in the n.y. times
"reported" that "according to someone who has seen the kindle"
-- see, more spin, i talked to someone who has _seen_ it, so it
_must_ be real, because they wouldn't lie to me, would they? --
it's using the sprint network.

and, um, no, i don't know what that means in regard to europe.

but, hey, as long as it's just "speculation", i don't have to know!

and you guys do remember how i said it's gonna have that e-ink
you can just fold up and put in your pocket, don't you? :+)

this speculation stuff is fun. i don't know why i was such a
stick-in-the-mud earlier about the "facts". facts are boring.
i was wrong, you were right, this is _much_ more enjoyable.

don't buy the sony-reader, folks! who would want a heavy, hard,
_stiff_ machine anyway? you should wait for the foldable kindle!

oh, i gots me a _great_ idea: we will call it the spindle-kindle!

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #66
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
"Fold, Kindle and Mutilate," is it?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote