Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Amazon Kindle delayed until end 2007?

Not long ago, we were pretty jazzed when NY Times editor Brad Stone informed the world that Amazon was going to unveil its highly anticipated Kindle reader sometime in October this year. Although technically still possible, it's highly unlikely that we'll hear anything from Amazon today when everyone is already getting ready for the big Halloween party. Sure there must be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the delay, and Mr. Stone has now been told by his publisher friends that it had to do with "technology kinks" and Amazon trying to prepare as many e-titles as possible before the launch.

Quote:
According to publishing industry executives back then, Amazon had promised delivery of its keyboard-equipped electronic book reader during the second week of October. Now, those same people say that the company has pushed back that date and is aiming for a launch by the end of this year. Take that with a grain of salt. Amazon and its chief executive, Jeff Bezos, are notoriously persnickety.
At any rate, we still don't know what Amazon is up to and when they are going to lift the curtain. The arduous wait isn't over yet.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Unless he can give a description of the Kindle, I don't trust what he says.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If that is true then they will miss most if not all of the Christmas gift market. Many retailers do 50% to 80% of their yearly business then.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Unless he can give a description of the Kindle, I don't trust what he says.
Even if he did, how would we know it was genuine? I figure we have to decide to either trust what he says or not to, I don't see a minor think like a description swaying me on that point.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
hmmm, i'm also going to take this with a grain of salt.
I mean firstly since unlike sony, amazon has no manufacturing ability, they must have a OEM producing the device.
Therefore if the intial design isn't 'complete' then there will be no manufacturing run of the device yet.
Now this may not be dramatic if for instance you aimed to sell only a few thousand devices, but with amazons user base in the many millions they surely must have to target production figures into the hundred of thousands rather than the low 10's of thousands that sony did.
I mean for instance just how many would be sold once they launch it on the front page of amazon in comparison with the launching on the front page of the sony connect store(who goes to sony connect store for anything?)
I would surely have thought there's got to be atleast a 2 month lead time from prototype sign off to significant completion of production run.
I mean we've had absolutely no evidence of the devices existence i.e. packaging shots, PVI manufacturing statements, or sly leaks of final products rather than the FCC images.

Or of cause maybe i'm wrong and some of you may point out the flaws in my reasoning
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

oh, well, if it was _technology_kinks_ that caused this "delay",
it's totally understandable. after all, who could predict those?

c'mon folks, wise up. i was saying way back in the _spring_
that if this machine wasn't fully announced by mid-summer,
then it wouldn't be out until next year, because that's when
the big buyers make purchases for year-end holiday-season.

that's why jobs announced in _january_ that the iphone would
be available starting in _june_, because that's how it all works.

and i'll tell you right now it won't be released "at year-end",
because it's suicide to release something new into a season
when all the other products have been in the pipe for months.

look for an _announcement_ next spring, _release_ in summer,
with the consequent "glowing press releases about its reception"
in the fall so it's a "must-have" gift for year-end 2008 holidays.

assuming that d.r.m. hassles don't derail everything right away.

that's what i say, anyway. anyone want to bet against me?

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #7
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
The Kindle has me the least excited over all the other ebook readers. The delays have been just silly now, and I can say that unless this thing costs 50 bucks(like the first rumor), and has a wacom style writing instrument, I have little interest in this thing.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
my speculation: this is disinformation intended to reassure industry watchers. In fact, my guess is that they'll be making an announcement in the next 2 weeks. or maybe bezos looked at the prototype, decided it really sucked and sent the product designers back to the drawing board.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

so, i read this on the teleblawg:
> Might Amazon even be engaged in a deliberate misinformation campaign
> designed to stretch the hype out, as some are speculating?

and i'm thinking, geez, here we are, on the first of november, with no kindle,
and the rumor-mongers and speculators have egg _all_ over their faces, so
surely they'd be too embarrassed to say anything for at least a _little_ while.
but no sir, instead they're just setting off yet _another_ round of gossip...

and i come over here, and find out that it's _robert_nagel_ who is the _source_
-- the "some" of the "some are speculating" -- for rothman's continued spinning.
the same robert nagel who _also_ writes for teleread.

so the echo-chamber is getting more and more insular.

and now it's started to turn on _amazon_, making _accusations_ that it is
engaging in "disinformation", accusations that are monumentally _silly_...

here's a reminder: amazon has said _absolutely_nothing_ about the kindle.

unless you count the spokesperson, who -- when asked about it by someone --
said "we don't comment on rumors and speculation".

got that, folks? "rumors and speculation".

and who's generating all the "rumors and speculation"? look in the mirror.

and then, when your "rumors and speculation" don't pan out -- imagine that! --
you actually have the cajones to accuse amazon of doing "disinformation"...

_you_ are the people doing the "disinformation".

and you're making amazon look bad, because their "product" -- which, again,
they haven't even officially _announced_, not in any regard, not even once,
let alone subjected to a _timeframe_ of any sort at all -- has been "delayed".

and your latest round of rumors has them putting out a product "at year-end",
a high-end niche gadget right _after_the_biggest_retailing_season_ of the year.
yeah, i'm sure of it. get real. the suggestion is just laughable on its face.

you're being _irresponsible_ in the extreme.

please, just _stop_ the rumor-mongering. don't say another thing about "the kindle"
-- not one! -- until you can relay something that _amazon_itself_ has to say about it.

because there is entirely too much egg on your face already.

and it's there because of what _you_ did, not because of what anyone else did...

-bowerbird
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Let's keep this discussion polite, please. Disagreeing with someone's opinions is fine. Making personal attacks on a fellow board member is not.

Thank you,

Moderator.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
bowerbird
Banned

it's a strange definition of "polite" that lets one person accuse amazon of
engaging in "disinformation", but calls _me_ out for making the entirely
straightforward observation amazon has never said a word about "the kindle".

not. one. single. word.

think. about. that.

we're not talking about "opinions" here. it is a fact the kindle was not released.

is it an "attack" to point out when someone engages in rumors and speculation?
is it an "attack" to point out when those rumors spectacularly _fail_ to pan out?

egg, all over someone's face. and do they even say, "oops, sorry about that..."?

no, they point the finger of accusation elsewhere, as if _they_ were the party
who was duped instead of the _duping_agent_, and spin out the _very_same_
rumor, just moving the date 8-10 weeks into the future, just coincidentally the
_exact_same_ 8-10 weeks into the future their rumor had the last time around.

are they gonna keep regenerating this rumor until it "comes true"?

well, if the past is any guide, _probably_.

and nobody seems to notice that their crystal ball is very-badly cracked.

look, if there's zero commitment to _truth_ on these boards, then fine...
just let me know, and i will leave, and they'll be safe for tripe and hype...

but don't accuse me of making "personal attacks". that's entirely unjustified.

i don't have any issues with any people here. i have issues with the _lies_ that
are being bandied about carelessly under the banner of "speculation and opinion",
and the real damage that those lies are doing to the cause of electronic-books...

-bowerbird
Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, remember, we HAVE seen Kindle Edition on Amazon's website. Granted it was pulled. But it was there. So that's Amazon helping to keep the rumors alive.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
@bowerbird

As the chief rumor-monger, I have said nothing about Amazon possibly executing a FUD campaign. I have not been doing disinformation. I have only stated the information that I have found online, and some guesses I have made about that information.

Yes, I was wrong. I helped create the hype and then got swept up in it.

But you have no right to verbally spank me for my errors. You are not a moderator here (thank God), you are not my boss, and you are not my Mom.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
it's a strange definition of "polite" that lets one person accuse amazon of engaging in "disinformation", but calls _me_ out for making the entirely straightforward observation amazon has never said a word about "the kindle".
It's not what you said, bowerbird, so much as it is the tone you've adopted.

If you want to point out, accurately, that Amazon has let slip very little on the Kindle. You're welcome to. If you want to point out that we're tossing around speculation and rumor, feel free. If you want to suggest that folks be more considered as to what they toss around, and present a case as to why the tossing is detrimental, more power to you!

Just be respectful about it, is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
look, if there's zero commitment to _truth_ on these boards, then fine....
Hardly. But there is the little detail of trying to figure out what that truth actually is.

We do have a bit to go on with the Kindle, in addition to the "Kindle Edition" spotted on Amazon which JSWolf mentioned, we also have the documentation that Amazon submitted to the FCC.

I don't think it's all that great a leap to conclude that they're working on something along the lines of what the FCC dox describe, and still working on it as suggested by the brief appearance of "Kindle Edition" books on Amazon.

Let me also point out that for the most part, folks around here are pretty careful about stating when they're speculating, and about pointing out things as rumors when they are. If other sites choose to ignore those qualifiers and treat as fact what has been expressly presented as rumor or speculation ... I'm at a loss as to how we can stop them.

If we didn't discuss rumors, we wouldn't have much to talk about, now would we?

We're not a newspaper. We do deliver news when we have it, but the if you just want a bland reporting of only verified facts, then you'll have to look elsewhere for that, someplace that is aimed at being a news outlet, or just camp on Amazon's press release page.

If you're getting a belly full of the Kindle business (can't say as I blame you), then let it be for a while. There are a number of topics/threads I habitually avoid because I'm tired of the discussions that seem to just go round and round without getting anywhere new. Nothing wrong with ignoring it if you'd prefer.

But calling folks liars and demanding/ordering everyone to shut up about it isn't likely to work, and it really is a bit on the rude side.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #15
kjn24
Enthusiast
kjn24 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
It's also worth mentioning that when you go to amazon, click on 'electronics' and then search for 'kindle' - the result you get is the ebookwise 1150. It doesn't say 'your search returned no results', which is technically what it should say.
KJ
kjn24 is offline   Reply With Quote