Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
myaggie2
Edge User

Didn't Know I Needed to Buy SD Card & Sim Card

When I went to upload pdf files to the Edge, I read the documentation which said I needed a SD card, which isn't included. No info about the card in the included help manual.

I also don't have a SIM card, and I don't even know what that is.

Does anyone know what type of SD card, and SIM, it takes, and where to buy one? They aren't for sell here at the Edge store. Thankx in advance. Aggie

Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
thefuture04
Edge User

You don't need either, it has internal 3 gigs worth of storage, and this model doesn't use the SIM slot anyway. E-mail yourself the pdf and download it through your e-mail client using the web browser

Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
ckole
Edge User

You don't have to have one but sometimes they make it easier to move files from a computer to the device. If you own a digital camera it has a SD Card in it or something similar. Target, WalMart, Best Buy and just about everywhere else sells SD Cards. They are cheap and start at around $10 for a 4-8gb version. If you have a Fry's Electronics near you they will offer the greatest choices. So I would recommend getting one if you plan on downloading content from other sources, want to copy PDF files, etc from your computer to the eDGe, etc.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
myaggie2
Edge User

Thankx, thefuture04, for your quick response. Some are rather large! I'm a researcher. Why can't I transfer them via my USB cable as the documention says? I'll need to be transferring these large reference books quite often. When I try the transfer, it tells me I have to install and mount the SD card. What is that, and where can I buy one that fits my eDGe?

Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
myaggie2
Edge User

Thankx so much ckole. I don't have a shop to buy one within 100 miles from me, but I can get it online now that I know it's just the memory card that a point & shoot camera uses. What is the purpose? Do the files copy onto that and then into the internal memory of the eDGe? I'm not real literate on these issues. Thankx again.

Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
omagedon
Edge User

It gives you way more storage as your Edge only has 4GB but only 3GB is allowed so for example if you have a lot of PDFs then I would advise you to get an SD card but if you don't have much then don't worry about it. I rather keep all my stuff in the SD card as if you use too much space on the Internal Storage it might crash the system. Don't know if it does or not don't want to try LOL.

Since, those SDHC cards are like dirt cheap I got a bunch of 8GB SDHC cards last Boxing Day for like 10 dollars each.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
devseev
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaggie2 View Post
Thankx, thefuture04, for your quick response. Some are rather large! I'm a researcher. Why can't I transfer them via my USB cable as the documention says? I'll need to be transferring these large reference books quite often. When I try the transfer, it tells me I have to install and mount the SD card. What is that, and where can I buy one that fits my eDGe?
You don't need an SD card and you CAN use the USB cable to connect to a PC and transfer PDFs directly to the internal storage. The trick is that you need to "mount" the internal storage from the eDGe by dragging down the notification bar, clicking the USB line (which will appear once you plug in the USB from the PC to the mini-USB connector on the eDGe. After that, the internal storage will apear as a drive on your PC called EDGE and you can transfer files easily. When done, remember to "Stop" the USB device on your PC and then un-mount on the eDGe as well.

What is confusing is that the internal storage sometimes appears to be called "sdcard" but really the two are different.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
ckole
Edge User

Where do you live? No WalMart or Target? Costco? Walgreens? CVS? Heck I have seen them in grocery stores. I know there are plenty of places like that but..... Even if you have a Radio Shack or some type of office supply store you should be able to get an SD Card. If not head to Amazon.com or Newegg.com and get one. I would get something in the 8-16gb range. I don't know what type of computer you have but most, especially laptops, have built in readers. All you do is put the card in and copy and paste the files to it. You can organize them into folders and simply read them from the SD Card on the Edge. If you want to annotate the documents they do need to be copied to your library which means they will take up storage on the device.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
dcubed2
Edge User

You can also use a USB drive to transfer files. An SD card will be better, but you can use a thmb drive while you wait for the SD card to arrive.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
ckole
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubed2 View Post
You can also use a USB drive to transfer files. An SD card will be better, but you can use a thmb drive while you wait for the SD card to arrive.
That is a good point. I have many SD Cards and Flash Drives laying around. I haven't messed with using a flash drive on the eDGe. I bought a 16gb SD Card for $30 and figured that should last a while.

Dang there was just an earthquake while I was typing this!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
rakista
Edge User

I do research and I find it useful to have different SD cards for different fields. The 2 Gig ones are really all you need.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
dcubed2
Edge User

An earthquake!?! Where do you live?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
sarah11918
Edge User

Doesn't the documentation say that you need an SD card inserted even just to do the USB transfer of files?

Granted, I did USB transfer when I had inserted a card that the eDGe couldn't read, and the transfer worked fine, so maybe it isn't necessary. But, I thought the manual says to insert an SD card in order to do the USB transfer.

ckole: earthquake? Everything OK I hope!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
mgm1979
Edge User

7.2 near the Mexico/CA/AZ borders...guess there were a few others in the couple hours since, including a 4.2 near San Jose within 10min of the initial quake. I'm guessing the eDGe warehouse in CA is empty after the shipments last week, so we're good there ;-)

By the way - I bought 16gb SDHC cards for me and my fiance ($30/ea on eBay)...figuring it'll be good to load media (music, movies) on eventually...the internal memory should be more than enough for any apps and books/files we load.

Last edited by mgm1979; 04-04-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
brauckmiller
Edge User

Where do you copy the files to?

I'm still confused even after reading the thread. The docs clearly state that you must have an SD card to copy files over. I have mounted the eDGe as described in the thread and have copied over a book. Problem is, I don't know which folder to place it in. I've tried 2 or 3 and the eDGe doesn't show it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Craig