Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Rooting problem

Ok, I decided to take the plunge, you guys seem to be having way too much fun.

But I'm having a problem, and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. If any of you guys have any ideas, I'd be forever grateful!

I downloaded nooter 2.12.25. (My Nook Color is 1.0.1)

I used WinImage to write the disk image on a sd card on my computer. The 4 files on the sd card are exactly the same as shown in the directions.

I shut down the Nook by holding the power button down and selecting the power off button.

I installed the sd card in the Nook, and attached the cable.

The Nook powers up, but boots to the B&N screen. My computer will not recognize the Nook until I slide the wake up bar across, and then it goes into USB mode.

Funny thing is, once in USB mode, the Nook Color shows up on my computer as g:nooter2.

I've tried it a dozen times, but it does the same thing. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Anyone?

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It looks like you did not burn the image correctly. I struggled with this as well until I read on the instructions that you must apply the 'dd' command to the whole disk not a partition. Once I did this the process worked great.

I used Linux and 'dd' not WinImage but the same concept should apply.

BTW you know the image is good when it boots up with an Android logo, but it takes a while to show up. When you first plug in the cord the screen is blank, if you are greeting the B&N screen when you connect the USB cable you are not booting off of your SD card.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Yeah, the Nooter files didn't work properly on the SD card. Walk through the steps to get the image on the card again. If it still doesn't work, you may want to try a different SD card ....
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
As somebody else mentioned, something went wrong when preparing your SD card. When you insert the SD card in the NC and boot the device, the screen should remain blank; if you see the B&N logo, something's amiss.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Thanks for the feedback. I kinda figured something was going wrong with the diskimage, mainly because I really didn't understand how the program worked.

So I tried WinDiskImager32 and it works perfectly. Everything works great, except YouTube worked, but then started flaking out. Someone told me to remove and reinstall it, so I removed it. And now I can't find it to reinstall!

Thanks for the help!

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB View Post
And now I can't find it to reinstall!
Just Google "youtube apk" and download the file to your PC. Then, with the NC connected to the PC, type in a command window

$ adb install -r youtube.apk
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Here's the signed .apk

http://www.mediafire.com/?ql6v72qia20wkh7
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Very detail steps over at nookcolormods

On page for TIP # 16 (link) jump to the bottom of the page.

Here it is for you
Quote:
16. Why won't YouTube play videos in HD?

For some reason, the YouTube that's installed from rooting won't do it. To get a version that plays HD:

- uninstall your current YouTube via Titanium Backup

- download this version from the Evo (credit aludal on xda): http://db.tt/y5vVvI2

- rather than installing this one, rename it youtube.apk and (in Root Explorer again), set system r-w and copy it into system/app (w/permissions matching the other apk's in that folder).

It should be there now, ready to play HQ clips (if it doesn't show up right away, try rebooting).

We'll update this section frequently - feel free to bookmark and check back!
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
for this website. I've already gone in and turned off the phone.apk and telephonyprovide.apk to hopefully save on batter power. I have also turned off the Nook's ability to auto update itself. I did change the lcd density to 250 and they were right, the status bar goes screwy, so I put it back .... although I might up it a bit to make the icons bigger. Nice site!

Now, I think I'm gonna experiment with the new Nookie Froyo rom ....
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote