Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grensgeval View Post
Interesting! Yes, the number I xxxx'd out was indeed 553210206.
That'd be why it can't update.

Inside the 3.0.3 update, there are actually 3 patches. They did it this way for the K3 instead of the old system which just had the entire firmware image in there.

515460094 (3.0) to 536720111 (3.0.3)
525120101 (3.0.1) to 536720111 (3.0.3)
529960105 (3.0.2) to 536720111 (3.0.3)

Your 553210206 isn't part of those and it won't update it because it doesn't know what needs to be changed.

Quote:
Me, I have the WiFi only version, which as I understand it, is the same for Europe as it is for the US. But maybe this is incorrect.
The WiFi Kindle is the same everywhere. They're all B008 units. No difference between a US model and an international/European model.

The difference between a US 3G+WiFi (B006) and an international/European 3G+WiFi (B00A) is the SIM card inside. The rest of the Kindle is the same. The US B006 Kindle has an AT&T SIM card and the international/European B00A Kindle has a Vodafone SIM card.

The firmware updates for the Kindle 3s actually all contain the same firmware. The reason why there are 3 different files to download depending on specific model is because there is a tag in the file that says what Kindle it is for and there doesn't appear to be a generic all "Kindle 3" tag. The actual firmware itself once you've unpacked it is exactly the same for all 3 units.

Quote:
Should this only happen to European customers, I don't have a good explanation.
It'd be a particular factory or batch that is different. There shouldn't be any difference between a US and international/European Kindle WiFi.

Quote:
But otherwise, I would assume the beta 3.0.3 we want to update to, is actually a downgrade and the device rejects it rather inelegantly.
It rejects it because the build number is not within the range expected. The 3.0.3 update wants from 515460094 to but not including 536720111.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
kbtmichal
kbtmichal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
My international 3G+WiFi that i received today also has version number 553210206 and refuses to update (I've tried it both before and after jailbreaking)...

And for some reason Kindle won't install the Keyboard Localization hack (deletes the correct .bin), but jailbreak and Screensaver hack were installed without any problem.
kbtmichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #18
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Looks like all new Kindles have 3.0.2 (553210206) now. If so then Amazon will need to rerelease 3.0.3 or make 3.0.4.

What keyboard localization hack are you using? If the update doesn't specify the correct acceptable build range then it will fail to install.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
kbtmichal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
What keyboard localization hack are you using? If the update doesn't specify the correct acceptable build range then it will fail to install.
I've tried this one https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106048. Kindle should definitely show some error message or create an error log and not just silently delete the update
Old 01-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtmichal View Post
I've tried this one https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106048. Kindle should definitely show some error message or create an error log and not just silently delete the update
Its failing because of the build range check.

The update file says it is for 0 to 536720112 (Public 3.0.3 + 1)

Last edited by Tiersten; 01-11-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #21
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
So does everyone with this problem fit the following:

-affected unit was shipped in 2011
-has the 553210206 build of firmware 3.0.2

and might be the WiFi only unit.(?)
mine arrived in early January 2011 too, and it is WiFi only. but I updated it with no big problem so I don't remember if it was 3.0.2 (553210206) built or not. I live in Asia, and the WiFi only version is the same everywhere.

you should call Amazon, or wait for 3.0.4 firmware. but I think it's not neccessary to update your kindle anyway, the 3.0.2 firmware has no big glitch.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #22
Grensgeval
Grensgeval began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
but I think it's not neccessary to update your kindle anyway, the 3.0.2 firmware has no big glitch.
I know, but I can't help myself when it comes to these things...

Knowing this unit has a different, newer, firmware build, I'm glad the various hacks I installed didn't cause problems!
Grensgeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #23
gianpaoloc
gianpaoloc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Exactly same issue here, with my new received Kindle Wifi (European version). Same firmware version and same impossibility of updating. I was a previous owner of another kindle, successfully updated months ago to 3.0.2 first then to 3.0.3, so I do not think I am doing anything wrong. The explanation about build number should be the right one.
gianpaoloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
korrosiv
korrosiv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Amazon's answer

My father received its Kindle 3 on monday (10 January). Same problem, so I wrote to Amazon in his name and I'm posting the answer here so it can help the rest. I'm writing from Spain, so it applies to the Eur version.

Original help request:
Quote:
My son recommended Kindle to me. And I'm satisfied. But I encountered a problem. Sometimes WiFi enables itself, without enabling it manually (with the consequent extra power consumption). So I tried to update to the same version my son has (3.03 early preview). I'm currently in 3.02. I follow the steps carefully. But when I have to select Update Your Kindle the text quickly fades out. I plug the Kindle again to the computer just to find the .bin file was deleted. I've tried restoring factory defaults, restarting... but my Kindle always deletes the file without even starting the update. My son told me to contact you, because he had no problems updating to 3.03 early preview.
Thanks.
Amazon's answer:
Quote:
Hello,

I'm sorry for the problems you had. I checked your account and see that you are having 3.0.4 software version on your Kindle. You don't need to update software on your Kindle.

Your problem with Wi Fi would be easier to help you over the phone. You can reach us by phone directly and toll free from many countries by clicking the Contact Us option on our Kindle Support pages at:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

We hope you can call us soon so we can help solve this problem quickly.
Although the Kindle says 3.02 is installed, it seems it's in fact 3.04.

New features? Well, the WiFi seems to enable automagically =)

So I just have to solve the WiFi issue.

I still haven't called Amazon, it's 1.20 AM here.

Will post further news.

Thanks and sorry for my bad English.
korrosiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrosiv View Post
Although the Kindle says 3.02 is installed, it seems it's in fact 3.04.
Hmm. It being 3.0.4 would explain why the build/version number is higher than 3.0.2 and 3.0.3. No sign of it on the website yet though.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
So that means either 553210206 is used outside North America, or it is 3.0.4 (but displayed on the kindle as a 3.0.2).

Anyone within the US/Canada received a 553210206 yet?
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #27
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Early preview? I'll wait.

Is there a change log available?
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
psychotic_chimp
psychotic_chimp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
kindle 3 keyboard

I have a kindle 2 and looking at the kindle 3 it does'nt seem to have any numerals on the keyboard. how do you enter numerals for passwords etc?
just wonderin..appreciate any feedback...this is something amazon has not broadcast much
psychotic_chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #29
kbtmichal

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotic_chimp View Post
I have a kindle 2 and looking at the kindle 3 it does'nt seem to have any numerals on the keyboard. how do you enter numerals for passwords etc?
just wonderin..appreciate any feedback...this is something amazon has not broadcast much
You can insert nubmers either by hitting Sym and choosing them from special chracters menu using D-pad, or by pressing Alt + letters in top row (Q = 1, W = 2, ... P = 0)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #30
psychotic_chimp
psychotic_chimp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
g'day and thanks

thanks thats quicker than kindle support!! ha ha!! thought there wld have to be a way cheers says chimp!!
psychotic_chimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.0.3, grayed, greyed, kindle, update