Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Choose the best descriptor for you and the Sony Reader
I love the device and use it all the time. 50 98.04%
I paid all that money and am not really happy with it, but I still use it. 1 1.96%
I wish I would have never heard of the thing. 0 0%
Mine broke. 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My Rio Karma does sound better for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #32
benn600
Enthusiast
benn600 is on a distinguished road

lol. From the initial testing I've done it sounds pretty dang good with very little background fuzz, which is one of the biggest issues for me. Are you using decent headphones? I'll admit I haven't tried my expensive Etymotic's on it yet but the two or three headphones I've tried have sounded quite impressive, including with music. Again, though, I didn't really try to listen for quality...and I'm used to great sound since I use lossless encoding and have some high-end speakers.
benn600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #33
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I'm still deciding on the music-playing aspect of the Reader. I can understand the extra drain on the battery, but I am still intrigued by the thought of not needing to have two devices with me in order to listen to music while reading.

I have already decided not to use the memory card to hold books, since I have seen that reading from the memory card does drain the battery faster than storing the books on the reader itself.

So yesterday I filled my 2GB SD card with mp3 files and will see how that affects battery drain just having it in the reader, since most of the time I don't listen to music while reading. But I do appreciate the ability to do so and will continue my experiment.

I am aware that once listening to music starts, I can't put the reader down without actively turning it off since the auto-off function doesn't work if there's a music file playing.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #34
benn600
Enthusiast

All they would have to do is make the right directional pad push-in do is pause the music. Right now, that button doesn't seem to do anything...perfect! One button right from the reading screen.

Please post any results you get. I'm not really worried about the battery personally because I store it on my nightstand and the charger is right there. Basically, I just need to charge it every night like I do with my phone, iPaq, iPod, laptop, etc. Most people these days are used to charging devices every day...you just gotta do it if you use battery power. Just because the reader can have enough power to go for a long time ... well, just ignore that face and get in the habit of charging every day...or I suppose two days. Have your charger where you store it and don't forget USB charging so you can charge it by any computer with the standard USB peripheral cable.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Compare it with an iPod with the same pair of headphones and the quality difference jumps traight in your face. The music add on to the reader makes it seem like the whole marketing idea behind the device is to use it while in a waiting period; be it train, car, plane or plain waiting room. Quality is not the utmost prerequisite, just the number of functions using supported Sony media. It's not real bad, there's just better.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #36
benn600
Enthusiast

For 64Kb audiobooks, it's good enough even if it ain't great for music. I don't really intend on using it for music much so no worries there!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #37
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i use it all the time but in another way i wish i had never heard of it. takes up more time than my ex did.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote