Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #211
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Thanks to the feedback here I have enhanced the upcoming version with a few more features as shown in the attached screenshots:

As always, feedback appreciated.
Looks awesome!! .. cant wait
Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #212
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Great ! It's time to test !

(Just one tiny cosmetic issue : is there a need to display checkboxes and drop down menus if a row is empty (no title/url/etc) ?)
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #213
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
Great ! It's time to test !

(Just one tiny cosmetic issue : is there a need to display checkboxes and drop down menus if a row is empty (no title/url/etc) ?)
Yeah I've agonised over that one too. The reason I haven't done that is is that there is no real "difference" between a row intended as a separator, and a row inserted intending to edit and turn into a menu item. If I remove the dropdowns etc on those blank rows then it would introduce an ordering dependency to "re-enable them", for instance by requiring the user to type into the menu text field first.

I think for consistency you would have to make all the columns non-editable on those blank rows until the user types a value in the menu text column. Then for you would also have to make it that if the user clears the menu text field all the other fields in the row get cleared too. Right now I have it discarding values in the separator rows behind the scenes when the user clicks the OK button, but it could be made more obvious by enforcing edit rules around the menu text column. Opinions anyone?

I'll send you a PM with the download link to test it as is if you don't mind and see what you think after trying it.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #214
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Everything works fine. It's very flexible, easier and more pleasant to use than lines of code

I love the "Open Group" option !
It's going so much faster to retrieve information.

One thing though : the problem with accented characters seems to be back.

When I search for "Les chemins de la bête", this is what I get from Amazon.fr
"No result for "Les chemins de la b%EAte"."

About the images, I've tried the 2 methods.

First method works nicely (one small glitch but I think you can't do anything about it, google conversion seems to loose the png transparency)

Second method, downloaded an ico file, converted to png with http://www.convertico.com/, added to my url. No problem.

Thanks kiwidude.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #215
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the testing Bertrand.

I see what you mean about the Amazon site. It has come from a change I made yesterday in response to a suggestion by Kovid to use a Calibre wrapper function to open url's instead of the Python one directly. I blindly made the change without testing and clearly the behaviour is different because of it. I temporarily switched back to the Python one and the URL opened correctly. I'll look further into it.

Re the transwparent images - it does do transparency, I think it depends on the website source you are pulling from and possibly how what conversion if any google has to do to the image. For instance grab the icon from foo.com using the plugin and you will see it has transparency.
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #216
marvin_2
marvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Screenshots look great, can't wait to use the new version.

One comment: Google often works better if you use "" to search for exact words, e.g.:
('Google images for Book - exact', 'stip_google.png', 'http://www.google.com/images?q=%22{author}%22+%22{title}%22', 'utf-8', _('Alt+I')),

Inkmesh gives slightly different results for "exact" searches:
('Inkmesh for Book - exact', 'stip_inkmesh.png', 'http://www.inkmesh.com/search/?qs=%22{title}%22+by+%22{author}%22&btnE=Find+Eboo ks','utf-8', None),
Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #217
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin_2 View Post
One comment: Google often works better if you use "" to search for exact words, e.g.:
('Google images for Book - exact', 'stip_google.png', 'http://www.google.com/images?q=%22{author}%22+%22{title}%22', 'utf-8', _('Alt+I')),

Inkmesh gives slightly different results for "exact" searches:
('Inkmesh for Book - exact', 'stip_inkmesh.png', 'http://www.inkmesh.com/search/?qs=%22{title}%22+by+%22{author}%22&btnE=Find+Eboo ks','utf-8', None),
Thanks for the suggestion, I agree with you that Google should have quotes in the URLs for sure for far greater matching success. I had tried it in the past but with " instead of %22 so thanks for the "trick" to get it to work . I will change their urls to use the quotes.

For other websites I think it would have to be a case by case basis - I would guess a number just strip the quotes out anyway. I don't really want to fill the list of default urls with every permutation of exact and inexact if I can help it, "most of the time" an inexact search will still work well enough. Users of the plugin can always add quotes in for other sites or add extra menu entries like you have done above if they feel they want to query both ways.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #218
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
International issue with "Search the Internet Pluguin"

First, very big THANKS for the plugins: on my Calibre,
  • Open With
  • Quick Preferences
  • Search the Internet
installed and regularly called for.
BUT on the last one, all default links working fine barring 'Google.com for Book', which opened Google default search page at my locale, 'Google.es'.
Work-around: substitute
('Google.com for Book', 'stip_google.png', 'http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&q={author}+"{title}"', 'utf-8', None),
with
('Google.es for Book', 'stip_google.png', 'http://www.google.es/#sclient=psy&q={author}+"{title}"', 'utf-8', None),
and everything in the garden is lovely.
Posting this in case it might be useful for other 'localized' users suffering from the same trouble.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #219
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenchu View Post
First, very big THANKS for the plugins: on my Calibre,
  • Open With
  • Quick Preferences
  • Search the Internet
installed and regularly called for.
Cool - love it when others have found the plugins useful to them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenchu View Post
BUT on the last one, all default links working fine barring 'Google.com for Book', which opened Google default search page at my locale, 'Google.es'.
Yeah just like the Amazon and Wikipedia websites there are of course multiple international variants, however as you found it is possible to customise the url to your need. I will include a few of what I guess to be the more popular Google variants in the available default list of the new 1.4 version, so certainly in your case you can just tick the boxes of the one you want in your menu without having to type it yourself.

I won't have every country listed though - the list would be crazy long. As before users can still either edit the urls of existing links provided or add new ones for their locale.

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-12-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #220
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
Re: Search the internet plugin...

I love the changes that are coming up for this one, and will be adding them ASAP. I'd like to see Ellora's Cave website added for books - url is - http://www.jasminejade.com/searchadv.aspx?IsSubmit=true&SearchTerm={title}&Su bmit.x=0&Submit.y=0

I tried to add this as a tweak and it just kept giving me an error, so if it's on the list I'd be eternally grateful. I'm just too new at this to try stuffing around with it all too much.

Can't search their website directly for author, but the book search would be awesome.

Cam
Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #221
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampercam View Post
I love the changes that are coming up for this one, and will be adding them ASAP. I'd like to see Ellora's Cave website added for books - url is - http://www.jasminejade.com/searchadv.aspx?IsSubmit=true&SearchTerm={title}&Su bmit.x=0&Submit.y=0

I tried to add this as a tweak and it just kept giving me an error, so if it's on the list I'd be eternally grateful. I'm just too new at this to try stuffing around with it all too much.

Can't search their website directly for author, but the book search would be awesome.
I have added it to the list of sites. As you say there is no author search capability, so I have a "for Title" search that works using this URL in case you want to use it in the meantime:
Code:
http://www.jasminejade.com/searchadv.aspx?IsSubmit=true&SearchTerm={title}&ProductTypeID=5&ShowPics=1
Any other suggestions for sites people want to see please fire them through. So far the list that will be predefined and available for you to choose from is:
Audible.com
Amazon.com + various intnl sites
Barnes & Noble
Demonoid
Ebooks.com
Ellora's Cave
FantasticFiction
GoodReads
Google.com + various intnl sites
Books by ISBN.com
ISFDB.org
Inkmesh
Kobo
LibraryThing
ManyBooks.net
New York Times
Sony
Wikipedia + various intnl sites
Chapitre (French)
Fnac (French)
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #222
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Any other suggestions for sites people want to see please fire them through. So far the list that will be predefined and available for you to choose from is:
)
http://classify.oclc.org/classify2/

Converts from ISBN, OCLC#, UPC, ISSN, Title or Author to:

DCC, LCCN, Subject Tag List, Format, Language, and Known Library Holdings
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #223
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply, I'll use that code in the meantime. You're a legend
Old 01-13-2011, 02:35 AM   #224
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcle View Post
http://classify.oclc.org/classify2/

Converts from ISBN, OCLC#, UPC, ISSN, Title or Author to:

DCC, LCCN, Subject Tag List, Format, Language, and Known Library Holdings
I've added searches for Author, Book and ISBN to Classify.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #225
marvin_2
marvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
a few more sources

Quote:
(None, None, None, None, None),
('Book on Waterstones', 'stip_gr.png', 'http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/advancedSearch.do?buttonClicked=1&title={title}&au thor={author}&bookkeywords=&format=&ctx=&price=&ag e=&isbn='),
('Title on Waterstones', 'stip_gr.png', 'http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/advancedSearch.do?buttonClicked=1&title={title}&au thor=&bookkeywords=&format=&ctx=&price=&age=&isbn= '),
('Author on Waterstones', 'stip_gr.png', 'http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/advancedSearch.do?buttonClicked=1&title=&author={a uthor}&bookkeywords=&format=&ctx=&price=&age=&isbn ='),
('Book on Mobipocket', 'stip_gr.png', 'http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/searchebooks.asp?Language=EN&searchType=All&lang=E N&searchStr={title}+{author}'),
(' bol.de for Author', 'stip_gr.png', 'http://www.bol.de/shop/buecher/suche/?fi=&st=&su=&sa={author}&sr=&sv=&svb=&ssw=&sq=&for ward=weiter&sswg=BUCH'),
(' bol.de for Book', 'stip_gr.png', 'http://www.bol.de/shop/buecher/suche/?fi=&st={title}&su=&sa={author}&sr=&sv=&svb=&ssw=& sq=&forward=weiter&sswg=BUCH'),
(' libri.de for Book', 'stip_gr.png', 'http://www.libri.de/shop/action/advancedSearch?action=search&nodeId=-1&binderType=Alle&languageCode=DE&keyword=&title={ title}&person={author}&publisher=&numbers=&minPric e=&maxPrice='),
(' libri.de for Author', 'stip_gr.png', 'http://www.libri.de/shop/action/advancedSearch?action=search&nodeId=-1&binderType=Alle&languageCode=DE&keyword=&title=& person={author}&publisher=&numbers=&minPrice=&maxP rice='),
bol and libri are for german books
Closed Thread