Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Shasta_d
Shasta_d began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Unhappy .6.51 fails at start on winXP

I have already uninstalled and deleted folders blah blah blah. nothing has worked and then i tried to go back to a working version before this disaster of an upgrade and it has the same issue. I ran the debugger and it fers to being up able to open files that are in my windows font folder. what?

So, i'm frustrated and annoyed-- has anyone had this issue and can it be fixed? That is with causing me to throw my computer out the window.

thanks,
shasta

Oh I forgot here is the dump:

FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/WINDOWS/fonts/.AppleDouble/first.txt'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/WINDOWS/fonts/first.txt/..namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/WINDOWS/fonts/first.txt/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/WINDOWS/fonts/resource.frk/first.txt'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/WINDOWS/fonts/.resource/first.txt'
QObject::killTimers: timers cannot be stopped from another thread

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>

Last edited by Shasta_d; 05-19-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Shasta_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Clean up your c:\Windows\fonts folder to remove the varios files mentioned in that output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
That is one cluttered fonts directory.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
Shasta_d

Umm, why is it that i have to delete font files that were fine prior to this "upgrade" to make it work? I see no correlation. I'll go see if there are duplicates but i am not a fan of losing fonts. I got them for a reason.
thanks for the reply,
shasta

okay now i'm confused... so i wander over to the font folder again and i see nothing but fonts. no txt files now extra folders. nada, zippo, zilch, zeroness as listed in that that dump. so being annoyed i searched and found the pumpkin.txt. It finds it and when i click the option to open folder containing it opens the font folder. i looked at my view settings and nothing is hidden.. nothing out of the ordinary. i then vaguely remember aligning this folder with my themes so i hop on over to check it out and no dice .. no font folder to confuse things. wtf? So them i *sigh* and figure i'll start the long and ridiculous task of searching for each of those files.. and i pick another one at random and it isn't found and so then i try a few others same thing..

Any more ideas? I suppose I can run a registry check and defrag but i just did that a couple of weeks ago.

thanks,
shasta

Last edited by Shasta_d; 05-05-2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: clarifying -- i hope
Old 05-05-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta_d View Post
Umm, why is it that i have to delete font files that were fine prior to this "upgrade" to make it work?
I don't know why it hangs for you now, but you don't have to delete any font files. I didn't see one single font file listed in that debugger dump. As far as as I can tell it was all garbage. Grab everything that isn't a font file and move it to a temp directory. If it doesn't work you can scatter it back in the font directory.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-05-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Shasta_d

well, that was the plan but there's nothing visible in the font file but fonts. this lead to the search which lead to me finding the pumpkin.txt file which said it was in the font folder but not visible. i checked and no hidden file to setting marked. so then i set to go and search manually for each but the searches are finding nothing. i gave up after 4 files... so the only one i was able to successfully delete was the pumpkin.txt file.

i'm gonna run a defrag and reg checker i don't know why the files are showing in that dump txt when they are clearly not in the font folder. unless my computer is possessed. if that's the case, i'm going on oprah and finding a buyer for my possessed computer that has a mind of its own...and a devious one at that.

I know little about the debugging that posted that info. so if yuou can give me any insight as to why it could happen or why it would happen this way -- maybe i can backtrack but at this point i may be bury calibre. sadly i only got to use it once and then didn't have a need until now. and it's not even for me, its for a friend needs it!

anyhow, thanks for the help or sounding board.
shasta
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Shasta_d

Okay I've have tried to follow what you suggested but it makes no difference if i empty out the folder but for the windows set of fonts i get the same debugging errors. wft? i think i might not have a future with calibre. *sigh*

any ideas. anyone...

why did i upgrade.?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Okay I've have tried to follow what you suggested but it makes no difference if i empty out the folder but for the windows set of fonts i get the same debugging errors. wft? i think i might not have a future with calibre. *sigh*
What I said was to get rid of the garbage not randomly remove fonts. It looked like most of the garbage was in sub-directories. Did you drag these sub-directories out of your font folder?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
try this software it is good at cleaning & manging the fonts folder with it you can back up all the fonts you want and delete all the junk files

http://www.sdsoftware.org/default.asp?id=5992
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Shasta_d

yeah i understood what you meant... and i figured the easiest way would be to move the contents of the folder out and then only allow a few basic fonts to remain to figure out the issue. However that did nothing. I guess that i didn't explain very well as there is nothing .. i mean nothing other than font files in the font directory. I understand what the debugging shows but I'm telling you i opened the font folder.. made sure nothing was hidden and i have nothing but fonts in there.. no subdirectories so it's hard to do what you ask other than as i tried by elminatinng everything and putting only basic fonts back. I did a clean disk and reg clean and nothing has helped. don't know where debugger is getting htat info but it's not from the font folder that i am looking at and it's the only one in the windows folder as far as I can tell.

The link you listed dopeangel does not have a download link got any software related to fonts. but thanks.

i think i'm going to give up. i don't know what else to try other than reformating and i don't need to convert that one file enough to redo windows when nothing else has a problem .. that i know of anhow.

thanks,
shasta
Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
no subdirectories so it's hard to do what you ask other than as i tried by eliminating everything and putting only basic fonts back.

don't know where debugger is getting htat info but it's not from the font folder that i am looking at and it's the only one in the windows folder as far as I can tell.
It seems as if you have touched all the bases. If you can't see subdirectories in the font folder and you can see all hidden files then I am at a lost too.

You can try searching your registry for these files.

Seems like it might be time to re-image your machine.

Good Luck
Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
ccayer
ccayer is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X50v, JetBook Lite
Have you tried removing the files manually from a command prompt? I checked on my system and had no sub-folders below Fonts.
ccayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Shasta_d

no i haven't tried cmd deletes mainly because i have no other problems. and nothing showing that what the debugger is listing exists. so i feel a bit put out to go to that trouble and possible disaster when nothing was wrong until i upgraded.

i may go try that -- at this point i'm looking into other converters. *sigh*
thanks,
shasta
Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #14
Shasta_d

Thanks!!!!!! Now why didn't I think of that! Still I find it annoying that files in a font folder would stop calibre from working. Anyhow, I went to cmd and then dir'd the font folder and then del'd all but fon, ttf and the other font formats.

Calibre now is working with no problems.. and i'm on the updated 6.53

Thanks again, CCAYER you ROCK!!!