Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
jetBook html

I was curious after the recent discussion on page breaks to see what in html the jetBook ignored. I wrote up a simple test pattern file (attached). It produced the attached screen image.

In short, h1 and h2 are honored. h3 is not visually different from plain text. i and em are honored. b and strong are not.

These are the most common tags in text reading, so I didn't go any farther. I doubt you should count on the jetBook for any appealing (or appalling) visual effects.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1727.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	898.8 KB
ID:	38336  
Attached Files
File Type: txt testPattern.htm.txt (504 Bytes, 370 views)
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Thanks for the photo.
In HTML files are internal hyperlinks supported?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that's the big miss for Ectaco.

I also noted the other day that <HR> is not honored either. A minor point, but still, that's HTML 1.0.

My suspicion is that Ectaco took a presentation layer from one of their dictionaries (I hesitate to call it a renderer) and wrote a bunch of simple-minded translators for all the other formats.

If you want something fancy, you have to use pdf.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
No, that's the big miss for Ectaco.

I also noted the other day that <HR> is not honored either. A minor point, but still, that's HTML 1.0.

If you want something fancy, you have to use pdf.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Thanks, again. I suppose I could use Calibre to convert HTML to PDF or some other format in which hyperlinks are supported. I assume they are supported for TOC and such. Have you done this and how does it work out? I am seriously considering the new jetBook Lite because of the lower price and the use of regular AA batteries.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Thanks, again. I suppose I could use Calibre to convert HTML to PDF or some other format in which hyperlinks are supported. I assume they are supported for TOC and such. Have you done this and how does it work out? I am seriously considering the new jetBook Lite because of the lower price and the use of regular AA batteries.
I use Open Office instead of Calibre, since I dislike ebook managers. OO writes a very nice PDF with a TOC made from <h1>, etc. in html, or from "Heading 1", etc., in rtf. Just remember to set the margins to 3.00" wide and 3.78" tall. I also give it a 0.02" left margin and set all the others to zero. Tastes vary.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I use Open Office instead of Calibre, since I dislike ebook managers. OO writes a very nice PDF with a TOC made from <h1>, etc. in html, or from "Heading 1", etc., in rtf. Just remember to set the margins to 3.00" wide and 3.78" tall. I also give it a 0.02" left margin and set all the others to zero. Tastes vary.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Thank you, much appreciated. I will give that a try if the jetBook ever arrives.
I have had an interesting experience in the ordering process of the jetBook Lite and will give an account of it when I know the conclusion.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Labhrainn Aemil
Labhrainn Aemil began at the beginning.

Device: none
jetBook html

ECTACO has revolutionized the way you read with the JetBook eBook reader.At just 7.5 ounces and with dimensions smaller than a standard hardcover novel, the JetBook lets you carry a stack of books in the palm of your hand and read them wherever you want. It comes preloaded with the CIA World Factbook and a German Dictionary, and can hold thousands more texts with support for an optional SD memory card up to 2GB in size. With its USB mass storage capability, simply connect the JetBook to your PC via USB and drag and drop new content; you can also back up what you already have on the device instantly.PSD to HTML Conversion
Labhrainn Aemil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrainn Aemil View Post
ECTACO has revolutionized the way you read with the JetBook eBook reader.At just 7.5 ounces and with dimensions smaller than a standard hardcover novel, the JetBook lets you carry a stack of books in the palm of your hand and read them wherever you want. It comes preloaded with the CIA World Factbook and a German Dictionary, and can hold thousands more texts with support for an optional SD memory card up to 2GB in size. With its USB mass storage capability, simply connect the JetBook to your PC via USB and drag and drop new content; you can also back up what you already have on the device instantly.PSD to HTML Conversion
Are you from the Ectaco support forum?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Are you from the Ectaco support forum?
If he isn't, he should be.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
If he isn't, he should be.
Quite possible he is just a spammer. There is a link to a commercial site in the message. I'll keep an eye on him.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote