Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
tomtwain
tomtwain began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up biting the hand that starves me

Hello--
My name is Tom Twain. I write satire and other forms of humor and comics. I've just posted two books on kindle and folks told me to come here, too. My books are "The Literary Devil's Dictionary" and "If You Give a Redneck a Moonpie." People told me I could learn a lot from the folks here. Hope to get to know lots of you. Now, I better go fill out my profile. All the best.
tomtwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
hello and good to see new blood
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome to Mobileread! It's nice to have authors interested in ebooks around here.

Any moment now, someone'll be along complaining that your books are only available at the Kindle ebook store.

At which point, feel free to ask for help an advice in getting them converted to other formats and into other stores. :-)

But there really are a lot of knowledgeable folk here who are willing to help out, just ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtwain View Post
Hello--
My name is Tom Twain. I write satire and other forms of humor and comics. I've just posted two books on kindle and folks told me to come here, too. My books are "The Literary Devil's Dictionary" and "If You Give a Redneck a Moonpie." People told me I could learn a lot from the folks here. Hope to get to know lots of you. Now, I better go fill out my profile. All the best.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-16-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Why are your books only available at the Kindle e-book store? There are other formats you know!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
tomtwain
tomtwain began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I change and post them to other formats?

I am new to all this. These are my first two digital books. How do I post them here and other places, and how do I get paid? Any help and info you can give me would be appreciated by the grocery store...Best, Ole Tom Twain
tomtwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See! I said someone would be along soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Why are your books only available at the Kindle e-book store? There are other formats you know!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Well, you don't want to post them here. Books posted to Mobileread are all downloadable for free.

You should probably look at http://www.smashwords.com/ . You can publish there and Smashwords will take care of the conversions for you. (This will work well so long as your books don't have any complicated formatting e.g. tables.)

Getting into the other ebook stores is trickier. Fictionwise don't accept author submissions, Mobipocket isn't accepting new publishers of any kind.

You could investigate Lightning Source http://www.lightningsource.com/ . They're better known as POD printers, but they also distribute ebooks in a few formats. I've never published an ebook through them so I'm uncertain how many stores they supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtwain View Post
I am new to all this. These are my first two digital books. How do I post them here and other places, and how do I get paid? Any help and info you can give me would be appreciated by the grocery store...Best, Ole Tom Twain
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Welcome to MR. I would add Feedbooks to the sites pdurrant mentioned.

Smashwords and Feedbooks will let you set the prices for your books (or allow you to let your readers set the prices). All you need is a PayPal account.

And yeah, you're going to have to put them in some other formats.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I think that feedbooks doesn't have a payment mechanism in place yet, although I believe it's planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Welcome to MR. I would add Feedbooks to the sites pdurrant mentioned.

Smashwords and Feedbooks will let you set the prices for your books (or allow you to let your readers set the prices). All you need is a PayPal account.

And yeah, you're going to have to put them in some other formats.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Welcome & best of luck with ePublishing!!!! Learn about all the various formats books can be publshed into, it will only increase your popularity among the e-reading public.

Now get busy & publish in alternate formats!!!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi tomtwain and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, TomTwain!

You might also be interested in the Writers' Corner forum we have here at MR. It's purpose: Come here to showcase your latest literary work or to discuss the art, craft, and business of writing and (self-)publishing. Enjoy and Good luck with your writing!

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, TOMTWAIN!

As you have probably noticed, there are many other ebook devices out there than just the Kindle and many other countries in which to market your work than just the USA.

You might be interested in the below page from smashwords...

https://www.smashwords.com/about/how..._on_smashwords

Last edited by dreams; 09-17-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: LINK
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Hi tomtwain and welcome aboard.

You will, I think, find that the majority of people here on Mobilread do not have the ability to access Kindle books from Amazon. So like all these others I am sadly unable to read your work.

Enjoy your stay here.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle, redneck, satire, twain