Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #76
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm guessing Apple will keep prices higher than some expect here. They have never been all that interested in the low end of the market. Their amazingly high margins are based on premium devices at premium prices.

Google blew the doors off the $250 category with their 7" Nexus tablet. Specs-wise it is a real bargain.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #77
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It depends on the magazine in question. I can view both of my Kindle subscriptions on any device or app (including eink devices). Some Kindle subscriptions run as Android apps, so those would only be runnable on Fire.
The couple magazines I looked at on the Amazon web site said "Kindle Fire Only". I quit looking at them after that.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #78
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Especially since the new iPod touch 5 is selling for $299 (32GB) and $399 (64GB).
They could be $999 and people would still buy them just because of that apple on the back.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #79
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I touched it!

I got to play with an HD 7" Fire this morning. It is a terrific tablet. The screen is beautiful and bright. The speakers sound great. It's a little wider than its predecessor, but still slides into the back pocket of my Levis. It is a lot faster than Gen 1. FLASH! Flash still works. We had to use Dolphin plus a side loaded flash apk, but it definately works.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #80
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I got to play with an HD 7" Fire this morning. It is a terrific tablet. The screen is beautiful and bright. The speakers sound great. It's a little wider than its predecessor, but still slides into the back pocket of my Levis. It is a lot faster than Gen 1. FLASH! Flash still works. We had to use Dolphin plus a side loaded flash apk, but it definately works.
My wallet barely fits in the back pocket of my Levis (and my wallet is usually empty). If you can get a 7" tablet in your pocket, your must have some big pockets (or some HUGE jeans).
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #81
blogbook
Groupie
blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, KF HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
The couple magazines I looked at on the Amazon web site said "Kindle Fire Only". I quit looking at them after that.
I don't know from personal experience but I think this is meant as in "opposed to Kindle EInk devices" because of the layout (colors, images). Maybe you could ask Customer Service for clarification or try a free or inexpensive magazine.
blogbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #82
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
My wallet barely fits in the back pocket of my Levis (and my wallet is usually empty). If you can get a 7" tablet in your pocket, your must have some big pockets (or some HUGE jeans).
Levis 34" waist. When I was shopping for an e-reader, that was a key characteristic for me. I set off a bunch of alarms at walmart trying to get my backside close enough to a display to test the tethered -- and obviously alarmed -- readers. The HD is tight, for sure, but I can slide it in far enough that I don't have to worry about it slipping out onto a mens room floor.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #83
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Could be expensive ?

I stopped putting my wallet in the back pocket of any trews since charge/debit/credit cards came along - they made it un-comfy !

And, come to think of it, I just know I'd sit on a tablet if I used my posterior area as the site location for keeping such an expensive gizmo - plus possibly being a painful experience .....

Thus probably making my wallet likely to be needed out of some pocket to pay for a replacement.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #84
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogbook View Post
I don't know from personal experience but I think this is meant as in "opposed to Kindle EInk devices" because of the layout (colors, images). Maybe you could ask Customer Service for clarification or try a free or inexpensive magazine.
When I click on the link "Available for these devices", it brings up a list and sometimes it shows "Kindle for Android". But a lot of them don't. At least not the ones I was looking at apparently.

What gripes me is that a particular magazine I've been wanting has been available for iPad for quite a while now at $9.99/year. I emailed the publisher and asked when it would be available for Android. They responded back "early summer". I sent them another email a couple weeks ago and they said it "was still under works". I wonder what the big hold up is.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #85
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I stopped putting my wallet in the back pocket of any trews since charge/debit/credit cards came along - they made it un-comfy !
This is really for temporary storage. Most beneficial when I'm traveling. I usually carry a backpack for my laptop and essentials plus a back to check. When I had time to kill, I'd open the laptop to do some work, watch a movie, or surf the internet. If I decided to hit the head or grab a bite, I had to shut down and store the laptop. Since I bought the Fire, the laptop hardly comes out of the bag, so the pack hardly comes off my back. When I have to pee or get hungry, I slide the fire into my pocket to free both hands. I don't try to sit on the Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
And, come to think of it, I just know I'd sit on a tablet if I used my posterior area as the site location for keeping such an expensive gizmo - plus possibly being a painful experience .....

Thus probably making my wallet likely to be needed out of some pocket to pay for a replacement.
This did worry me, but the Fire is bulky enough that you do not forget it's in the pocket. As soon as you start to sit, you remember to remove it.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #86
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
It is a keeper regardless of the fact I own a Nexus 7. I traded in the original KF to Best Buy and I also had a Reward Zone coupon so around $100 all told for the KFHD.

The folks at XDA have kept most of us with all we could handle even at this early juncture of the KFHD being released. Never thought I'd get GAPPS without rooting!
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #87
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
A good unbiased review from CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...re-hd-vs-ipad/
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #88
wizwor
Wizard

I read this review on the Times of India and it was attributed to the NY Post. No wonder I couldn't find it this morning!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #89
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The ebook reader blog has a side by side comparison of the FireHD7 vs the Nexus 7.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...oogle-nexus-7/

Video, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #90
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
My opinion is the Kindle Fire HD is more suited for people that fall into any of these categories: those who are new to tablets; those that are less technically inclined and want something easy to learn how to use; for people who already have a lot invested in Amazon’s digital content, especially movies; or for people who want to be able to connect to a TV.

The Google Nexus 7 is more suited for someone who likes more freedom for customization; for someone who wants a more open device with more overall software features; for those that want access to the larger selection of apps; for spec junkies who want the extra speed of the quad-core processor; or for those who have already owned an Android tablet or phone (if a person has already owned an open Android device, the Kindle Fire will likely feel to limited and closed-in).

The bottom line is this: both tablets offer something the other does not, and both are great values for the price compared to most everything else out there so you can’t really go wrong with either of them. The Kindle Fire is more limited from a software standpoint, but if you are willing to give up the warranty you can hack it to get access to Google Play for the same selection of apps as the Nexus 7.
Or, as I said before, Android Geeks will prefer the Nexus, iConsumers will prefer the iPad, and everyone else will buy a Fire.