Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #61
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I will get to touch a Fire HD for the first time Tuesday when a friend brings his to work. I'm in no hurry to get one as I have been very satisfied with gen #1.
This is silly.

So how about waiting until you actually get some firsthand experience with a Fire HD before you blindly defend it?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #62
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
You're viewing the walled gardens differently. Amazon's KFHD is far more prison-like than any i-device. The original Kindle Fire had loose control, the HD has much tighter control and forced ads on the lockscreen (removable by paying a $15 ransom) and the constant "other customers have purchased" ads are ever present even after paying.

How?

You can still sideload 3rd party Apps (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190447) from a variety of reputable alternative Android App stores, just like the original Fire (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158213).

Plus, sideloading your own movies and music onto the Fire HD is as simple as hooking up a USB cable (http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...-own-kind.html).

I admit the ads may be a little annoying but with enough user complaints maybe Amazon will do away with them or make them less prevalent through future updates.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #63
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
kevinp,

Your statement flies in the face of the truth. Apple was the one to start the low prices on tablets. You can buy an iPad 2 for $399, which is a great deal.

Apple used to charge a lot more but they are much more competitive now.
They are only more competitive with "last year's model". They've lowered the price on the iPad 2 to deplete their stock. Why would anyone buy an iPad 2 if it's the same price as the iPad 3?

My guess is that this "Mini" (whenever it makes an appearance) will start at $299 for the 16 GB model.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #64
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
This is silly.

So how about waiting until you actually get some firsthand experience with a Fire HD before you blindly defend it?
I wasn't defending the device. I was defending Amazon. Defending is probably not the right word. I was really only describing it. I have enough experience with Amazon to do that. I have four Fires and a Kindle. I have hundreds of programs and hundreds of books and dozens of mp3s. Most of these have been given to me by Amazon. Despite this, Amazon has permitted me to use this content on my PC. If I decide to go with another tablet or forego tablets altogether, I will still have access to this content.

This is a good thing.

Chances are we will stick with Amazon. I may not bite on this year's offerings, but I will keep my eye on what they offer. Though I use Netflix, I am always looking at Prime as an alternative. The important idea is that no matter what my relationship with Amazon, I expect that the products and services they sell me will work with products and services other companies offer.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #65
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I wasn't defending the device. I was defending Amazon. Defending is probably not the right word. I was really only describing it. I have enough experience with Amazon to do that. I have four Fires and a Kindle. I have hundreds of programs and hundreds of books and dozens of mp3s. Most of these have been given to me by Amazon. Despite this, Amazon has permitted me to use this content on my PC. If I decide to go with another tablet or forego tablets altogether, I will still have access to this content.

This is a good thing.

Chances are we will stick with Amazon. I may not bite on this year's offerings, but I will keep my eye on what they offer. Though I use Netflix, I am always looking at Prime as an alternative. The important idea is that no matter what my relationship with Amazon, I expect that the products and services they sell me will work with products and services other companies offer.
Just for the record... I use the Kindle app on my Nook Tablet, but I can't subscribe to digital magazines and view them on anything but the Fire. B&N will let me view my magazines on any device.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #66
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Just for the record... I use the Kindle app on my Nook Tablet, but I can't subscribe to digital magazines and view them on anything but the Fire. B&N will let me view my magazines on any device.
Zinio is a much better choice for magazines, anyway.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #67
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
--------

My guess is that this "Mini" (whenever it makes an appearance) will start at $299 for the 16 GB model.
My guess is $250 to drive a lot of competitors out of the market and to prepare for Microsoft's entry.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
It depends on the magazine in question. I can view both of my Kindle subscriptions on any device or app (including eink devices). Some Kindle subscriptions run as Android apps, so those would only be runnable on Fire.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #69
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
My guess is $250 to drive a lot of competitors out of the market and to prepare for Microsoft's entry.
That'd be the same price as an iShiny touch, wouldn't it?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #70
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The old model is $249. It'll cost ya 3 Benjamins for the new model 32 Gig iShiny.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #71
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Rooted.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191331
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #72
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
$250 is a popular price bracket.
Samsung Galaxy 2
many higher priced readers
a little higher than a Lenovo, a Galaxy Player, etc., the original Fire,

Just low enough that a lot of people that have been turned off by iApple's pricing might give them a try and leave a lot of other products hung out to dry.

But the main thing is they would be competing fiercely in the 7" bracket which has been a very comfortable bracket for the other competitors.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #73
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
$250 is a popular price bracket.
Samsung Galaxy 2
many higher priced readers
a little higher than a Lenovo, a Galaxy Player, etc., the original Fire,

Just low enough that a lot of people that have been turned off by iApple's pricing might give them a try and leave a lot of other products hung out to dry.

But the main thing is they would be competing fiercely in the 7" bracket which has been a very comfortable bracket for the other competitors.
Well, you don't need to compete fiercely when you have an apple in the back, that'd alone guarantees you can add $100 at least on top of similar priced tablets, the shiny apple is worth that much if not more... to some at least. I don't see this mini selling for less than $299, but I could obviously be wrong.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #74
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Well, you don't need to compete fiercely when you have an apple in the back, that'd alone guarantees you can add $100 at least on top of similar priced tablets, the shiny apple is worth that much if not more... to some at least. I don't see this mini selling for less than $299, but I could obviously be wrong.
All that is true, but I think that Apple is conscious of "their share" which is a big selling point. The 7" market niche is a (in my opinion) worm hole in the shiny big Apple. Apple needs to close that hole up before doubts about its supremacy emerge. Also as a practical matter it can sew up all the Chinese manufacturer's production so they don't have too much time to produce for other sellers.

Besides it is only a $50 difference of opinion. A coupon in the iTunes store would take care of that. Take a cue from Amazon and Google.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #75
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I don't see this mini selling for less than $299, but I could obviously be wrong.
Especially since the new iPod touch 5 is selling for $299 (32GB) and $399 (64GB).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote