Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
vishnu.kumar
vishnu.kumar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Extract TOC from EPUB

Hi,

I am using Calibre 0.8.38 in Ubuntu 12.04.
I use the command-line tool 'ebook-convert' to convert a EPUB to PDF.
But the TOC is not converted to PDF Bookmarks.

Can anyone tell me which option i should use for that?
vishnu.kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would you want to convert ePub to PDF? Why not just read the ePub as is?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.kumar View Post
Can anyone tell me which option i should use for that?
I don't believe this is an option.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sigil (beta) 5.902 TOC generator now has an option to generate an 'Inline' TOC page from the normal (NCX) one.
So, try that, place the file (order) as desired, and see if that helps
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
vishnu.kumar

Question

Sorry, i brought a confusion in here.

Actually i just wanted the TOC.
I am converting the EPUB->PDF->SWF.
To index the swfs into a flashbook i need the TOC.

I thought if it converts to a PDF, then i can take TOC from the PDF metadata.
But then as you said, the TOC is added in page.

So, Is there any other way to extract TOC seperately??
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, i brought a confusion in here.

Actually i just wanted the TOC.
I am converting the EPUB->PDF->SWF.
To index the swfs into a flashbook i need the TOC.

I thought if it converts to a PDF, then i can take TOC from the PDF metadata.
But then as you said, the TOC is added in page.

So, Is there any other way to extract TOC seperately??
IIRC
EPUB > Mobi generates a 'inline TOC' from the NCX (Mobi does not use NCX)
Converting Back ( Use a New folder/Test Library) should now have a book with the a TOC page that you could copy from the Tweak EPUB file manager)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
vishnu.kumar

Thanks dude.

But is the step possible over Linux command line?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks dude.

But is the step possible over Linux command line?
You are Command line only?
All features that I listed work on All platforms in the GUI.

But since an EPUB is basically a Zip File and you will throw the unzipped folder away after saving the correct (the one with the TOC) file, that should work also instead of using Tweak EPUB to get at the file with the TOC.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
vishnu.kumar

Yup,

Am command line only dude.

GUI based wont work for me as i am doing a shell script for all this process. I used the command
Code:
xvfb-run ebook-convert file.epub file.pdf
to convert the epub to pdf

So any commands you can provide me??
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There are currently no calibre options that will convert an ePub ToC into PDF bookmarks. None that I know of anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
vishnu.kumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There are currently no calibre options that will convert an ePub ToC into PDF bookmarks. None that I know of anyway.
But can it be atleast extracted so that i can manipulate with it?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But can it be atleast extracted so that i can manipulate with it?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you're talking about being able to manipulate the physical toc.ncx file from an ePub, then yes. Simply unzip the ePub (it's a zip archive with a different extension) and have a look at the toc.ncx file. But that has nothing to do with calibre or any of its conversion options.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote