Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Naderstouhy
Enthusiast
Naderstouhy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post New in using open source

Please i would like to know more about how to begin modifying the Calibre web interface so i can built my own instant, i need to know the .py that i need begin modifying and all the details for a good programming. thanks a lot
Naderstouhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Read http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html for setting up a development environment for calibre

This http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/user-guide/ might also be helpful for you.

Read http://diveintopython.org/ for learning about python.

For the web interface calibre uses cherrypy. You will find the necessary files in src/routes. However, you can connect to calibre directly using another language for the web interface. Search for the PHP interface by CHaley.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Naderstouhy
Enthusiast
Naderstouhy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Great ok i'll start doing the steps i already finish setting the environement and installing the source code, why whould i learn more about bazaar ? will i use it other then setting the environement and updating my source codE ?
Naderstouhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderstouhy View Post
why whould i learn more about bazaar ? will i use it other then setting the environement and updating my source codE ?
Aside from checkout you also need to know what do do if you have a bad merge (one that has conflicts).
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Read http://diveintopython.org/ for learning about python.
I have downloaded the Dive into Python book, (HTML), and it's very good. However, it's a bit hard on the eyes reading on my desktop PC screen compared with my eReader. I have converted it to ePub but it now requires a lot of tidying to make it workable, mainly due to <pre> formatted code sections, which are necessary but disappear off the side of the reader!

So, I'm just wondering if anyone has made a good ePub of this book?

Perhaps I should just buy a real paper version of the book!

P.S. Which version of Python does calibre use?

Last edited by Agama; 07-16-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
P.S. Which version of Python does calibre use?
2.7 .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do I need to install Python 2.7 from the python.org site or is this already installed as part of calibre? I have read the calibre manual section on setting up a development environment and can see that I need to use Bazaar to get the calibre source code, but this does not mention Python.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Simply follow the instructions in the manual, you don't need to do anything not mentioned there, including installing python.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Do I need to install Python 2.7 from the python.org site or is this already installed as part of calibre? I have read the calibre manual section on setting up a development environment and can see that I need to use Bazaar to get the calibre source code, but this does not mention Python.
Calibre's binary includes a binary copy of python, so you don't need a separate copy to run calibre (calibre-debug -g).

However, your development environment might require a local installation of python to give meaningful error messages. I know that eclipse+pydev does, and I strongly suspect that aptana does.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Perhaps you know this already, in which case please disregard my comments. In order for software to be called Open Source it needs to come with the source code for free. Anyone who is so inclined can modify the code and put their own name on the result and call it their own as long as the result is also open code. I do not believe that Calibre is open source since it does not come with the source code free, its what would be referred to as freeware, which does not come with the source code but the end result is free.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre source code is most certainly free and changeable by anyone. See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre is open source (licensed under GNU GPLv3) and you have access to its source code. That access is what makes it possible to setup a development environment for it in the first place.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I do not believe that Calibre is open source since it does not come with the source code free
The whole point of this thread is assisting a person who is setting up the development environment so they can run from source and test their own patches to the source code. Please avoid creating false rumors.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-17-2011 at 09:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Agama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Simply follow the instructions in the manual, you don't need to do anything not mentioned there, including installing python.
I've got as far as the Bazaar site and was about to download the Standalone version but noticed that it has Python 2.6 bundled. However, calibre requires 2.7 - so should I download the Python-based Bazaar installer? (which then requires me to install all dependencies myself - whatever that means!)
Old 07-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've got as far as the Bazaar site and was about to download the Standalone version but noticed that it has Python 2.6 bundled. However, calibre requires 2.7 - so should I download the Python-based Bazaar installer - which then requires me to install all dependencies myself , (whatever that means!)
Go ahead and download the standalone version.

Yes, it has its own copy of python, and yes, calibre has its own copy, and yes, you will likely install python. However, it is worth it (to me) to burn some disk space to get ease of update -- each of the tools can be updated without affecting the other. In addition, getting standalone installers deals with prerequisites.