Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
The Game Of Thrones Spoiler Thread!

this is your ONLY warning!!! secrets and plots will be revealed from here on out!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
yes, the last scene was spot on! "Oh the things I do for Love!"... indeed
Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I had a bad feeling when I saw the kid climbing. I paused the show and asked hubby if he was going to die.
Spoiler:
He told me "no".
He said that the scene was crucial to the story, but wouldn't say any more.

Spoiler:
He did tell me later, that the child is now crippled for life.

I'm now very curious to know what this all means.

Oh and the whole necromancer scene in the beginning, freaked me out a bit.

Th first epi definitely has me interested in the series, It'll just take me a bit to get over that fall.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Nyssa, all I can say is that it leads to a lot of very interesting things, between the dominoes falling, and the way Bran responds to it.

I was expecting that, so it didn't upset me so much. The scene that bothered me more was the second-to-last one, where Daenerys was taken by Drogo so roughly.

I'm not going to be persnickety about being true to the book on most things, but I don't understand why they did it that way on the show when, in the book, he spent so much time being gentle with her, until she was totally seduced and told him she wanted him to...

The way they did it just seems to be needlessly inflammatory, since we already had people protesting this sort of thing. They're oversensitive, IMO, but why portray him as being a brute, when he really wasn't, afaicr.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm not going to be persnickety about being true to the book on most things, but I don't understand why they did it that way on the show when, in the book, he spent so much time being gentle with her, until she was totally seduced and told him she wanted him to...
True. Though it's a bit harder to give that back on movie without being lengthy.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I so loved the first episode, I was sticked to the screen. A friend of mine (not familiar with the books) said it was too graphic and the plot was "cheap" but after an hour or so started asking questions about the scenes. I think she's hooked .
Bran - as one of my favorite characters is superb. So is Edd Stark, exactly as I pictured him in my head. I am so gonna buy this on Blueray when the season is over... I think I'd prefer watching the season again that rereading the book (and that is after the pilot episode only)...

Really, really impressed.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
<snip> The scene that bothered me more was the second-to-last one, where Daenerys was taken by Drogo so roughly.

<snip> I don't understand why they did it that way on the show when, in the book, he spent so much time being gentle with her, until she was totally seduced and told him she wanted him to...

<snip> but why portray him as being a brute, when he really wasn't, afaicr.
Hmm, I could see why that would be upsetting...the seduction sounds like a "better" story, but the scene was definitely "better" TV. Plus, it made sense, seeing how Drogo is supposed to be a "brute". He didn't speak to her at all during their initial meeting, nor their wedding, so for him to be suddenly gentle would have seemed odd or out of character; at least in the first episode. They did try to allude to a sensitive or caring side with the horse, which Daenerys obviously loves.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

his gentleness with her is pretty key to her loyalty and phenomenal love for him that becomes incredibly important later on
Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
George RR Martin just announced on his blog that HBO renewed the series for another season.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I'm in the process of a complete re-read (halfway thru book 3 right now), and I kept finding myself "fleshing out" the scenes to the people in the room with me. (Probably much to their annoyance!) I suppose it would be a good movie without having read the books, and I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing it brought to life, but it necessarily leaves out so much detail. It's almost a synopsis of the book.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
his gentleness with her is pretty key to her loyalty and phenomenal love for him that becomes incredibly important later on
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
George RR Martin just announced on his blog that HBO renewed the series for another season.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I kept finding myself "fleshing out" the scenes to the people in the room with me. (Probably much to their annoyance!)
LOL I keep doing the same thing. The first person I watched it with actually kept asking me to pause it and explain who was who, but the second, well, didn't. But it was hard to stop myself, knowing he surely needed it!
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
(im finishing A Storm of Swords)
My pre-impression was that they couldn't achieve in now way the book level of detail and story.
My impression was good and bad. I loved the photography, and everything, But as I feared, they won't be able to develop the characters story as in the book, nor understand and follow up the houses, the plotting, the backstabs.

As everyone said; Drogo is portrayed in the books as brute, but gentle. The Dothraki are savages, but Drogo is gentle to Daenerys, and that is developed through the whole first book. Also, Robb seemed too old IMHO, Jon, Bran, Sansa and Arya are exactly as I imagined them from reading the books.

The intro is Superb!
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict

Well! Another great episode, although I fear this series may be too dark for me. I don't know yet.

What I do know, is that I want the queen and her eldest spawn - dead!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I loved the pilot episode. Arya and Sansa were pretty much the way I pictured them. My husband said that Jon is nothing like he pictured him, but to me he seems a good fit for the role. Jon is my husband's favourite character, so he might be expecting too much. Tyrion is my favourite character in the book, and I thought the actor portraying him was fantastic. Jamie, too - I thought the actor portraying him did a fantastic job. Count me in as another fan upset Drogo's final scene in the pilot. I wonder how his character will be portrayed in the future. I really might re-read the series now....
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Well! Another great episode, although I fear this series may be too dark for me. I don't know yet.

What I do know, is that I want the queen and her eldest spawn - dead!
ha! if you don't like them now, just wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I loved the pilot episode. Arya and Sansa were pretty much the way I pictured them. My husband said that Jon is nothing like he pictured him, but to me he seems a good fit for the role. Jon is my husband's favourite character, so he might be expecting too much. Tyrion is my favourite character in the book, and I thought the actor portraying him was fantastic. Jamie, too - I thought the actor portraying him did a fantastic job. Count me in as another fan upset Drogo's final scene in the pilot. I wonder how his character will be portrayed in the future. I really might re-read the series now....
they started to treat with Drogo better in last night's episode