Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
racsw
racsw began at the beginning.

Device: Nook standard
A page background color for less eyestrain?

I know this is a minor thing, but I can read a book endlessly for hours, because the paper page has a "soft" background which doesn't tire my eyes.

When I use Calibre on my netbook to read, however, it's a harsh white background, and I get a headache after about 1-1/2 hours, but at the least I notice my eyes tiring shortly after a couple of hours.

The backlit screen is what the problem is no doubt, but there must be a solution to promote "easy reading" with less eyestrain using a carefully matched color combination of background and text. My standard Nook is also very easy ready reading, I know it's because it has that soft Adobe "Ereader" background.

The Adobe Digital Editions uses a soft white background. It almost looks like paper.

I can't be the only one who has this issue, but i was wondering if there was a solution?

Thanks,
Robert
racsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by racsw View Post
When I use Calibre on my netbook to read, however, it's a harsh white background, and I get a headache after about 1-1/2 hours, but at the least I notice my eyes tiring shortly after a couple of hours.
In the viewer Preferences go to the user style sheet and try this.

body {background:#FFFEEE;color:#000000;}

This adjusts the background and font colors.

Adjust the colors to suite your reading comfort.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-26-2011 at 10:14 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if anyone knows the colour codes for reproducing the Kindle 4pc sepia page effect, that would be helpful
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if anyone knows the colour codes for reproducing the Kindle 4pc sepia page effect, that would be helpful
What sepia effect are you referring to? I did a screen capture of Kindle for PC on my machine and to my surprise the background was pure white (FFFFFF).
Old 02-27-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

white is default - go view - color mode - choose white, sepia or black.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
white is default - go view - color mode - choose white, sepia or black.
I had a old version I just upgraded.

Kindle for PC Sepia view mode:

body {background:#FBF0D9;color:#5F4B32;}
Old 02-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just do the same: Grab a screenshot, open up your favourite image manipulation program, and use the colour picker tool to get the colour. You should then be able to get the RGB values.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
It uses #f1e7d0 under the text, and 5f5f54 in the margins/background.

In my calibre's css, I use a shade darker - EBDDB - and just brown for text.

It's fun playing with the CSS to get that K4PC sepia look, but it's still not the same, without those margins.

I've been wanting to put together an image background and using that and other css to get the whole sepia look... Shouldn't be hard... I'll play with it some tomorrow and attach the background image and css if it looks right.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
It uses #f1e7d0 under the text, and 5f5f54 in the margins/background.
I already gave an exact match (for Sepia with the brightness all the way up as seen on my machine) in post 6 above. Your numbers were close but You have the background and text reversed.

Update: I didn't realize there was a brightness control. We may all have different variants of Sepia that we are looking at.

The only way for cybmole to get an exact match of what he is seeing is to do as Manichean said in post 7.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-27-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I started posting before you two answered. The #s I gave aren't backward, but I noticed that I had the lightness down a notch after I saw yours. I didn't bother to edit - just figured he could try both of them and use what he wanted. They're so close.

Here's a quick strip on full brightness that should work for a background image, if anyone wants to use it... 1440 res, and a bit wider center than i usually use. I like narrow columns.

But for a quick start, I'll come back with the css to use with that in a few... assuming i can stay awake. It's 3:30am here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4pc_bgd.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	916 Bytes
ID:	67441  
Old 02-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #11
Piper_
~~~~~

OK, at a maximum view width of 1440 px (select that under the 1st tab of viewer options) this css works with the attached image to give a K4PC Sepia look:

body {
color:#000000;
background-color: #f1e7d0;
background-image:url("file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Calibre2/resources/images/k4pc_bgd2.jpg");
margin-right:250px;
margin-left:275px;
}

The directory you choose is up to you...

And you can play with the margins to get them however you want...

...argh... only on .mobi files. epub ignores the margins. I know I've read about this, but I'm too brain-dead to remember why. Maybe tomorrow.

ETA: checked a few more books - these all work fine in epubs that don't have margins set in the book's source.

edit - changed css margins and attaching a better background image to use. First one didn't account for left toolbar, so it doesn't center... this is at least close... still off, seeing screenshot - doesn't seem so off when in the ap...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	k4pc_bgd2.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	880 Bytes
ID:	67447   Click image for larger version

Name:	calbrek42.jpg
Views:	4409
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	67448  

Last edited by Piper_; 02-27-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
Piper_
~~~~~

Here's the background image and css for a narrower center column, ad screenshot of how it appears at 1440 res full screen:

body {
color:#000000;
background-color: #f1e7d0;
background-image:url("file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Calibre2/resources/images/k4pc_bgd4.png");
margin-right:330px;
margin-left:350px;
}
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	k4pc_bgd4.png
Views:	904
Size:	435 Bytes
ID:	67449   Click image for larger version

Name:	calbrek43.jpg
Views:	5120
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	67450  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I already gave an exact match (for Sepia with the brightness all the way up as seen on my machine) in post 6 above. Your numbers were close but You have the background and text reversed.

Update: I didn't realize there was a brightness control. We may all have different variants of Sepia that we are looking at.

The only way for cybmole to get an exact match of what he is seeing is to do as Manichean said in post 7.
I just added what he said to user styles - looks good to me with both epub & mobi.

side by side - calibre viewer & K 4 PC, the latter is a tad darker / more brown, but I am not fussed. cailibre viewer is much better than the default white. Shame the TOC panel stays white though
Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
See this page here:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colornames.asp

for html color names and hex values.

Find the one that best matches the Sepia color you are looking for.

Maybe you would like Cornsilk #FFF8DC or AliceBlue #F0F8FF.

Happy Tuesday
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote