Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Borders unveils updated Kobo eReader with Wi-Fi

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20017975-1.html

(also offered in Canada for $149)

... On the outside, the new model looks almost identical to the older model, but it has a better screen, a faster processor, and offers longer battery life. While the screen is a definite step up, it doesn't appear that it's E-Ink next-generation Pearl display that's currently featured in the Kindle and new Sony Readers.

Here are the key specs:

* Price: $139.99
* 6-inch screen
* Weighs 7 ounces
* Built in Wi-Fi (802.11g)
* Faster processor makes turning pages over 2.5X times faster
* Sharper E-Ink screen (16-grayscale)
* Longer battery life: up to 10,000 page turns on a single charge (with the wireless setting turned off)
* 1GB of built-in memory stores up 1000 eBooks
* Expansion slot for SD card (store up to 5000 eBooks)
* Built-in dictionary
* Available in three colors (black, silver, and lavender)
* Support for ePub and PDF files
* 100 free classics and Poker game pre-loaded onto device
* Ships at the end of October (available for preorder now).

Last edited by dmacmart; 09-29-2010 at 07:58 AM.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Not bad at all.

I wonder what the retail price in Australia will be?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
* 100 free classics and Poker game pre-loaded onto device
They've taken the easter egg and turned it into a full-fledged feature!

The new model sounds pretty good though. I'm glad Kobo's decided to stick it out in the ereader market. I just hope there's a timely release of the next firmware for owners of the original Kobo...
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Not bad at all.

I wonder what the retail price in Australia will be?
Well I would imagine that seeings as the original Kobo was $149US and was $199AUS, I would say somewhere between $190-199AUS.

Good to see Kobo moving forward with the product.

Forgot to add, looks like they did away with the bluetooth. Not sure what processor they would put in it, same as the Kindle? 532mhz?

Last edited by Solicitous; 09-29-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There's also no evidence that Kobo will have two models: with and without wifi. This is a replacement model form what I can see.

Kobo is pursuing a different device strategy than Nook or Sony: in addition to its own eink reader, it has puts its software on other devices like the colour Literati at $159. With wifi, it not only allows for instant download of purchases, it enables bookmark linking across all devices. It already has Kobo apps on Samsung Android phones and Tablet, on Blackberry, Blackberry Playbook, iPhone and iPad.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If I recall correctly, Kobo sported a Vizplex eInk screen. If the screen is improved, yet they don't use Pearl, what kind of tech are they using then?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Hmmmm, I was thinking about a K3 or PRS-650 but I might wait and upgrade my Ko1 to a Ko2!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I’m not suggesting this thing is better than sliced bread. But it does provide a different user experience than Kindle, Nook and Sony and at the low end price point. It definitely stays in the running.

Kobo isn’t Kindle — by focusing on so-called “open” ePub, it provides a solid alternative to Kindle and access to library books. And the Kobo bookstore has “localised” content for US, UK, NZ, Australia and Canadian markets.

Kobo isn’t Nook — it is sold outside the US and by leading bookstore partners in major english-speaking markets. Nor is Kobo aimed at the “let’s root this device” market: it’s for folks who want to use it as is right out of the box.

And Kobo certainly isn’t Sony. Yes, it lacks a touch screeen but it has wifi content delivery and syncing across multiple devices and platforms … at considerably lower price.

The US$139 Kobo wifi brings a different value proposition to the market and clear differences between it and leading competitors in and out of the US market.

Kobo's performance is impressive: it's only been in the US market since mid-June -- less than four months -- and has already demonstrated it has a broader vision than some other players. Bravo, Kobo!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
If it has the pearl screen it's a contender for my next ereader, if not then I'd rather go for a Sony. I guess if you were looking for a cheap ereader that's not tied to Amazon it would be a possible choice.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Nate said this Kobo design pre-dates the Pearl screen rollout, so it's likely an improved Visplex driver.
On the other hand, I looked at a Sony 650 Sunday afternoon: Side-by-side with my old 6" BeBook, I didn't see any real difference! So more investigation is in order - I had planned on buying the Sony, but was disappointed by what I saw.
So I'll wait until I can look at a Kobo in a store.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Does Kobo has landscape mode?
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
If it has the pearl screen it's a contender for my next ereader, if not then I'd rather go for a Sony. I guess if you were looking for a cheap ereader that's not tied to Amazon it would be a possible choice.
If the screen can at least match the contrast of the Nook then it not having the new Pearl screen isn't a huge loss. Though the new pearl screen is a bit better than the nook, it's not head and shoulders or as remarkable as you may think it is.

Overall I would still recommend the nook wi fi simply because I love the color lcd screen of the nook but if it's not for you than this IMHO tops the Kindle wi fi. It's cleaner and sleaker looking, epub/checking out books from your local library. And plus the Borders/Kobo bookstore platform is not too shabby at all.

If this comes back with positive reviews, then this could be a nice contender. Certainly more attractive than the Kindle wi fi, size, weight, and feel.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Does Kobo has landscape mode?
On the Kobo 1, you can display PDF in landscape mode, but not ePubs. There should of course be new software with the new reader.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Boswd - I've seen the new Kindle (with pearl screen) at a few stores. I thought the new screen was vastly better.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Have any of you seen what the wi-fi is for? Is it strictly for downloading books or can you browse the web?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote