Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Tony_A20
Enthusiast
Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
Where do I get Zip.exe?

Hello everyone,

I'm going straight to the Wizards for help. I'm building my first EPUB and I'm having problems putting files in the container.

I've just finished building a kindle mobi version from scratch, and I've edited all my files (opf, ncx etc) according to the EPUB spec's.

My problem seems to be that I'm using 7Zip to create the EPUB container and it doesn't do the job.

I've searched all over the internet, but I can't find an executable copy of Zip.exe. Can you point me to a download site (I've already scoured everything I can find)?

I'm using a Windows XP system.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
CNET is usually a useful source:
http://download.cnet.com/zip-exe/300..._4-158091.html
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Wrong Zip.exe
Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just attached the command line ZIP & Unzip that I use with Windows 7. I've used them with Windows 98, XP, Vista, & now 7.
Attached Files
File Type: zip zipunzip.zip (137.7 KB, 813 views)
Old 01-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Tony_A20
Enthusiast
Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.

Thanks for the Info!

Thanks for your prompt reply and support for an epub newbie. Having successfully completed the hand-built process for the Kindle format, I'm surprised at the problems I'm having with epub.
The Kindle generator, "Kindlegen" builds the document from the construction files (opf, ncx etc) and provides very good error messages for all problems, and builds a single o/p file.

The epub process doesn't allow any error checking of the construction files until everything is successfully packaged in a Zip container, making the process more difficult I think, especially with the restrictions on archive position of mimetype, and file attributes.

I'll give the zipunzip download a try and see if I can get another step along the process.

Thanks again,

Tony
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
The Zip.exe homepage can be found at http://www.info-zip.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've just attached the command line ZIP & Unzip that I use with Windows 7. I've used them with Windows 98, XP, Vista, & now 7.
Thanks for the Zip.exe as I never used/collected it. I had always preferred using PKzip.exe v2.50, but liked unzip.exe by Info-ZIP better. The verison of unzip.exe I use is newer though
Code:
UnZip 5.52 of 28 February 2005, by Info-ZIP.  Maintained by C. Spieler.  Send
bug reports using http://www.info-zip.org/zip-bug.html; see README for details.
For current version downloads check ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ for your operating system. This location is mentioned in the FAQ available here http://www.info-zip.org/FAQ.html#download

I just updated to Zip 3.0 and UnZip 6.00, just in case I need these useful utilities again.
For Windows 32-bit systems, direct downloads available here:
Zip 3.0 ==> ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/win32/zip300xn.zip
UnZip 6.00 ==> ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/win32/unz600xn.exe
Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I don't understand...

I have winzip, doesn't that work or this is requirement something else ?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I use WinRAR to do my unzipping and zipping of ePub.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Tony_A20
Enthusiast

I tried the Zip.exe posted by Jon, and it works perfectly. I can now use epubcheck to find the remaining problems with the construction files.
I was also pointed to Zip 3.0 by Harrison Ainsworth, which I downloaded although I have not tried it yet, but it comes with complete Zip documentation.
I will also download Unzip 6.0 and try it and Zip 3.0 when I'm over the present problem of building an epub.

Thanks again.

Tony
Old 01-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Slash5
Slash5 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Sony PRS-505
I found the only easiest way to build a Epub style zip was to start with a generic zip that is already known to be good and then add the files for your epub.
If adding an attachment worked, I have uploaded my starter file, temp.zip. It has the mimetype file at the correct offset and no compression. You can use pretty well any zip program to add your book's files to the base file and get the proper epub structure.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TEMP.ZIP (134 Bytes, 569 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_A20 View Post
My problem seems to be that I'm using 7Zip to create the EPUB container and it doesn't do the job.
I've used 7Zip for epubs and it works fine.

In Windows Explorer, right click the epub, goto to the 7Zip pop-up menu and there is an option to unzip the file to a sub-directory with the same name as the file.

To go the other way, in Windows Explorer go into the directory that contains the epub content files, select all the files and sub-directories, right click and from the 7Zip pop-up menu select the option to create a new zip archive. This will create a .zip file with the same name as the parent directory. Rename to .epub and that's it.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
Tony_A20
Enthusiast

7Zip doesn't work because there is no way (switches etc) to strip file attributes, and prevent entries in the archive directory.

The Zip.exe version posted above by Jon Wolf works perfectly. I arranged my META-INF, OPS, mimetype, and zip.exe in a folder, and used the command:

zip -Xr9D FileName.epub mimetype * -x zip.exe

where:
-X = strip file attributes
r = travels file structure recursively
9 = compression level (does not compress mimetype because of 20 byte file length).
D = no directory entries created in epub file.
* = wildcard to include all files and directories
-x = exclude zip.exe

Getting zip.exe from Jon was the solution to MY problem, the rest was overcoming my stupidity and ignorance, which I was able to do.

Tony
Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_A20 View Post
7Zip doesn't work because there is no way (switches etc) to strip file attributes, and prevent entries in the archive directory.
But that is not a requisite for ePUB. The only requisite is that "mimetype" is stored first, and not compressed.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
sgtgrom
sgtgrom began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Thanks for posting the 'zip.exe' file. I downloaded it, and unzipped it, but every time I click on 'zip.exe' to open it, it flashed open for less than a second, and closes. Tried it on XP and Windows 7. Any ideas why or suggestions how to make it stay open? Thanks...
Old 07-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
I'm 100% sure 7-Zip comes with zipping capabilities by default. We're talking about 7-Zip 9.20 here, right ? The latest 7-Zip. Just right click the files, "7-Zip", "Add to archive..." and choose Zip instead of LZMA, or something like that.

And oh, have you tried right clicking the files "Send To" and then "Compressed (zipped) Folder" ? It's built into the explorer.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtgrom View Post
Thanks for posting the 'zip.exe' file. I downloaded it, and unzipped it, but every time I click on 'zip.exe' to open it, it flashed open for less than a second, and closes. Tried it on XP and Windows 7. Any ideas why or suggestions how to make it stay open? Thanks...
Um, that's because it's a command line tool. Create a .bat or .cmd file (rename the ".txt" extension of a text file) and add to it:

Code:
@echo off
zip.exe -h
pause
Very important that it has a "pause" command at the end. Else it's going to finish very fast, unless you have an 80 MHz processor or something. Haha. Read the help menu on how to use it.

Last edited by DSpider; 07-10-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Closed Thread