Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Dumb questions

Y'all should be used to this by now. I have two problems. The default font for .pdf on my EZ Reader is too small for me to read. If I zoom the font to the next size, I end up with pages with three lines on them and then blank til the next page. Therefore, I'm assuming I'd need to convert those .pdf's to something else for making them easier to read on the EZ Reader. I know Calibre does this, and will put them in .mobi, which my EZ Reader will also read, but does anyone have any tips on what font size to use? I tried it with 12 and it was not only way too big, but the file now runs everything all together, no paragraph breaks or anything. Alternatively, if someone knows a program that will convert a .pdf to .rtf I'd like to know about it, please.

The other problem is that I have a couple of books that are just badly formatted. I don't know if they were converted from something else, or what, but I have doubled letters (as in two l's every time one l is typed), and the numeral 1 for L, etc and so forth. Converting these won't do any good, will it? I'll need to take them into a word processor and basically re-proofread them, am I correct?

Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions;
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
How to Do Everything With PDFs: various free programs for editing & converting PDFs. (I got the link a few weeks ago from TadW right here.) While most of these are more easily done with Acrobat Pro, not everyone has Acrobat Pro.

Missing from the list: PDF to Word converters.
Hellopdf, several online sources that require loading your PDF to a website, freewaregenius entry comparing various methods.

Convert from Word to RTF (for those who don't have Microsoft Office):
AbiWord is a free, small word processing program that opens Word docs (among others) and can convert them to (i.e. "save as") to many standard word processing filetypes. It'll also run portable, from a flash drive.

About badly formatted books: No, there's nothing that can be done with them short of "convert & proofread." (Or, if you're particularly talented with PDFs and you like headaches, you can do the fixes there. But not even PDF fanatics use Acrobat for serious proofing and correcting.) If you can find patterns in the errors, you might be able to use find/replace functions to fix them, but you probably can't use "replace all" for most errors.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Ok, thanks. I got it open in Word, and was thinking maybe if I used a style on it...but no. It's going to be a tedious cut/paste procedure for 287 pages worth of bad formatting. Oh well, for a readable book, I'll do it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote