Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
half star

Anyone ever seen unicode for half stars - I looked high and low, babblemap, w3, fileinfo etc. 'Course my eyes ain't what they used to be either.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-28-2016 at 01:21 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:15 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You mean a star cut in half horizontal or vertical? As far as I know it isn't there. I have never seen it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Anyone ever seen unicode for half stars - I looked high and low, babblemap, w3, fileinfo etc. 'Course my eyes ain't what they used to be either.
AFAIK, half stars don't exist in Unicode, but someone has recently submitted a proposal for them.

If you don't want to use images, you could:

a) use a fraction glyph: ★★★★½
b) use a white star as a half star: ★★★★☆

In case you don't see the stars, here's their Unicode information:

Unicode Character 'BLACK STAR' (U+2605) ★
Unicode Character 'WHITE STAR' (U+2606) ☆
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:43 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, half stars don't exist in Unicode, but someone has recently submitted a proposal for them.

If you don't want to use images, you could:

a) use a fraction glyph: ★★★★½
b) use a white star as a half star: ★★★★☆

In case you don't see the stars, here's their Unicode information:

Unicode Character 'BLACK STAR' (U+2605) ★
Unicode Character 'WHITE STAR' (U+2606) ☆
For whatever my opinion is worth, if I saw option "b", I'd read that as "4 out of 5 stars", not "four-and-one-half stars".
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks guys - The question came to me as a result of calibre's recent support for half star ratings as in

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	151972

I assumed the full star was Black Star (U+2605) and the half star was - good question. I assumed it was hidden in a corner I couldn't see.

Maybe Kovid has pre-empted acceptance of Ken Shirriff's proposal and he's using the HalfStarDemo.ttf - that might be it, the timing fits. He's had a lot of requests for half-stars.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2016, 03:24 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Maybe Kovid has pre-empted acceptance of Ken Shirriff's proposal and he's using the HalfStarDemo.ttf - that might be it, the timing fits. He's had a lot of requests for half-stars.
The method suggested in this Stackoverflow thread also appears to be working with stars. However, it requires pseudo selector support.

Here's a proof of concept code:

Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
<style>
.content {
    position: relative;
    font-size: 50px;
}

.content:after {
    position: absolute;
    overflow: hidden;
    content: "★";
    color: white;
}
.left .content:after {
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    width: .50em;
}
</style>

</head>
<body>
<div class="left">Half star with pseudo elements: <span class="content">★</span></div>
</body>
</html>

Here's what it looks like in Sigil (and Calibre):

Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Neat - Thanks Doitsu!

I fiddled with your code and got it to show the left half of the star black with the right half missing if anyone is interested. (edit) I also changed the color from white to transparent so it'll work on any background color.

Spoiler:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
<style>
.content {
    position: relative;
    font-size: 50px;
    color: transparent;
}

.content:after {
    position: absolute;
    overflow: hidden;
    content: "★";
    color: black;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    width: .50em;
}
</style>

</head>
<body>
<div>Half star with pseudo elements: <span class="content">★</span></div>

<div style="background-color:blue">Half star with pseudo elements: <span class="content">★</span></div>
</body>
</html>

(edit-edit) You can change how much of the star is visible by changing the "width" (.25em for 1/4 star, .75em for 3/4 star)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	151989  

Last edited by Turtle91; 09-28-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Peeking the code and the repository, I think the answer is more along the line of a new font than a specific css.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I made a component for wpf for this a while back...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses the 1/2 unicode glyph: ★★★★½ alongwith a custom font to render it as a half star.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote