Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
DeaHamlet
DeaHamlet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Author sorting problem - purchased books

Hi,

I bought some books at the Sony ebook store, but they all have the author listed as FirstName LastName and therefore do not sort properly in the Reader (it sorts by FirstName).

Is there any way to change the meta info on purchased ebooks?

Thank you!
DeaHamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Nope, the meta info is cryptographically signed and if you change it, the book won't open.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Jelis
Enthusiast
Jelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enough

Device: sony 505
You could import your books into Calibre http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ and then change the metadata to the order you prefer. It took me awhile to figure it out though.
In calibre you've got 2 fields 1."Author" and 2."Author Sort"

Putting "Johnson Peter" in the 1. field will sort your books for your reader (send to device) in the right order, surname first name. Actually I mostly don't bother with the first name, how many mystery writers will be called Christie and not Agatha?

The 2nd field will sort your names for the library management files on your computer (save to disk) where you will see them organized in folders by the name you put in this field and the books are then in that folder "Johnson Peter" in their respective subfolders.

When you do 'adopt' calibre have a look at the tags, they give you the opportunity to order your books in Collections for the reader, I have now 10 collections (1 nice little page) with Classics, Mystery, French, Poetry... you get the idea.

Jelis

P.S. I did not do this with books from the Sony store, I live in Europe, but it works with books bought from elsewhere. Give it a try at least.

Last edited by Jelis; 07-05-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Jelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Calibre won't work with LRX books. And even if it did parse the metadata (it's not hard), it couldn't change it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Jelis
Enthusiast
Jelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enough

Device: sony 505
I am sorry Igorsk, the brain fog just lifted and I came back to edit my post again.
I have had to learn too many new things over the past 10 days...

I use calibre this way with books it does accept,here from MobileRead for example, and then this method works.

Excuses again.

Jelis
Jelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert