Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #781
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You could try my fattened version of the free DejaVu Serif:

http://members.home.nl/katsunami/misc/DejaVu-Fat.zip

It's the font I'm always coming back to in the end.

LaTeX spoiled me, with its perfect layout and ligatures and stuff.
Oh, that is nice.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #782
Jwing
Enthusiast
Jwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle PW
Right now, I'm using the Charis Sil Modified Larger font. The best one so far.

Also I have Ubuntu, Gentium and Deja-Vu Sans Serif Modified. The Deja-Vu is too much fat for me. Ubuntu and Gentium are a little bit thinner than I'd like them to be.

The best are the ones that are found here in the thread. It's so damn hard to find a good font that wasn't modified.
Jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #783
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Heh.... I find Garamond Pro way too light. Same for the standard Kindle versions of Palatino and Baskerville though, and also for most other fonts that are not adjusted for e-ink screens.
I guess I'm just odd like that. I'm very picky about fonts.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #784
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I guess I'm just odd like that. I'm very picky about fonts.
No you're not. Others here have said they prefer thinner fonts. One person told me bolder fonts makes her dizzy. Our eyes are all different and so are our preferences.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #785
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Yeah, but it's getting out of hand. I'm done with it, and deleted all the fonts off my Kindle. Even the default ones. Gone, every one of them.

You just wouldn't *believe* how fast I can finish a book, now that I don't have to concentrate on fonts.

You should try it one day. The pages look very clean and calming. Easy on the eyes, too.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #786
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Yeah, but it's getting out of hand. I'm done with it, and deleted all the fonts off my Kindle. Even the default ones. Gone, every one of them.

You just wouldn't *believe* how fast I can finish a book, now that I don't have to concentrate on fonts.

You should try it one day. The pages look very clean and calming. Easy on the eyes, too.
You could just stare at the wall. Save yourself money and don't buy an ereader.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #787
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No you're not. Others here have said they prefer thinner fonts. One person told me bolder fonts makes her dizzy. Our eyes are all different and so are our preferences.
Well, maybe not odd, exactly, but bolder fonts seems to be a common preference from what I've seen. They don't exactly make me dizzy, but with really bold text it's hard for me to concentrate and I end up paying more attention to the text itself than to what I'm reading.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #788
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Well, maybe not odd, exactly, but bolder fonts seems to be a common preference from what I've seen. They don't exactly make me dizzy, but with really bold text it's hard for me to concentrate and I end up paying more attention to the text itself than to what I'm reading.
I totally understand. I'm dyslexic so certain fonts make me do the same. It took me forever to find a font that works for me on my Paperwhite in all lighting conditions.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #789
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For me, it's the other way around I've got poor eyesight, so if a font is too thin, it'll cost me too much exertion to read it, which detracts from reading itself. I actually often like the thicker fonts used in paperbacks, as compared to the often thinner fonts in hardcovers

Therefore I want bolder fonts on my e-reader, but not so bold that they become as bold as a "bold" font. (Does that make any sense?)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #790
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
For me, it's the other way around I've got poor eyesight, so if a font is too thin, it'll cost me too much exertion to read it, which detracts from reading itself. I actually often like the thicker fonts used in paperbacks, as compared to the often thinner fonts in hardcovers

Therefore I want bolder fonts on my e-reader, but not so bold that they become as bold as a "bold" font. (Does that make any sense?)
My modified Charis SIL works well without being bold. It's got more weight and looks good. That's what I use for most eBooks. I don't fool around. I know what works and I use it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #791
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My modified Charis SIL works well without being bold. It's got more weight and looks good. That's what I use for most eBooks. I don't fool around. I know what works and I use it.
I love that font, and use it on my Kindles. I've found I like the georgia that comes with my Kobo Mini best on that device, for some reason. I don't know why.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #792
sneakyspider

Quote:

Makes sense. I like thinner fonts, but if they're too thin, then I find it difficult to read as well. I like medium fonts, I guess you'd say.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #793
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I love that font, and use it on my Kindles. I've found I like the georgia that comes with my Kobo Mini best on that device, for some reason. I don't know why.
Same here. I use Jon's compact Charis on my PW -- it's perfect (for me). I was also using it on my Kobo Mini but, since firmware version 2.5.0., Kobo slightly increased the font weight rendering and now I prefer the look of the native Georgia on the Mini.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #794
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
Hi there,
Haven't been here for a while, A Levels (the exams for university in Britain) took up all my time. Anyway, just to say that i agree with everyone who likes the Deja Vu Serif and CharisSIL Modified Larger fonts, they are really good; thank you Katsunami and JSWolf. I was wondering if JSWolf would consider modifying the Crimson font, so its heavy enough to work on my K4 as well as my Kindle Paperwhite, as it looks really good?
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #795
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, enjoy it

If you can't decide between DejaVu Serif Fat and Charis Sil, choose the former. That font weighs about 20% less than Charis SIL, so your books are easier to hold