Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Paperwhite 2 & Sony PRS-T1
Links in libraries?

When I started using Calibre I went for tags in a big way, but as my collection expands I'm beginning to see the attraction of libraries - at the moment I've created libraries for Fiction, Non-Fiction & Mrs B's Books.

However, the classification system has yet to be invented that covers every case. For example, if you had a General/Literary library and Science Fiction library into which would you place A Clockwork Orange? I'd suggest that you need an entry in each. OK, you could place an entry in each library but you could save a little disc space if one of the entries could be a link to the other one. I strongly suspect that this isn't possible, and probably wouldn't be worth the effort of developing, but if you don't ask you won't get.
Berzelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzelius View Post
When I started using Calibre I went for tags in a big way, but as my collection expands I'm beginning to see the attraction of libraries - at the moment I've created libraries for Fiction, Non-Fiction & Mrs B's Books.
Creating separate libraries is just so much busy work, when you can easily have as many virtual libraries setup ready to go without the effort of maintaining multiple libraries.

Quote:
OK, you could place an entry in each library but you could save a little disc space if one of the entries could be a link to the other one. I strongly suspect that this isn't possible, and probably wouldn't be worth the effort of developing, but if you don't ask you won't get.
You won't get it because calibre has an elegant method for dealing with exactly this case. It is called tags. I know you may have ruled this out but once everything is tagged you can have as many virtual libraries as you want using the Saved search (right of the search bar) and the Restrict to feature (left of the search bar). After you save a search, that search will be included in the dropdown list under Restrict to.

Using the Restrict To feature allows you to show a library that is restricted to Fiction, Non-Fiction or Mrs B's Books. The possibilities are endless without actually having separate libraries. Once you have the restriction in place that virtual library reacts exactly as any individual library would react (including the tag browser and the search bar) except you only have one location for all of your books. See attached, one library, 6 different views. Notice the Tag browser reflects different values for each view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No-Restriction.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	91787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Restriction-Classics.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	91788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Restriction-Finished Library.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	91789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Restriction-Adult-Non-fiction.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	91790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Restriction-Science-Fiction.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	91791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Restriction-Fantasy.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	91792  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-04-2012 at 12:29 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Paperwhite 2 & Sony PRS-T1
Many thanks for the detailed reply. I think I may have been overly influenced by the glowing recommendation for Libraries in the Calibre user manual!

Reading your reply and thinking about it I have decided that I had better move back to one library and tags. I hadn't realised about Restrictions before you mentioned them. I've now tried them out and I see what you mean about the flexibility it gives - changing from one virtual library to another is just as quick as having separate libraries and is much quicker than using tags on their own. And I noticed how, as you mentioned, the available tags changed with each library.

A few questions if I may:

1) When I set up the Saved Searches I had to leave them in the form such as tags:"=Non-Fiction", which, after saving, appeared as tags:=Non-Fiction in the Restriction box. I noticed that your examples did not have the tags=: bit. I am using Ver 0.8.67 of Calibre.

2) It seemed to me that using the Saved Searches box gave exactly the same results as using the Restrictions box in selecting a virtual library. Am I missing something?

3) I had a quick look in the User Manual and it talked about creating Genres using multiple tags - I must read it in more detail.
Berzelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
1) When I set up the Saved Searches I had to leave them in the form such as tags:"=Non-Fiction", which, after saving, appeared as tags:=Non-Fiction in the Restriction box. I noticed that your examples did not have the tags=: bit. I am using Ver 0.8.67 of Calibre.
When you save you can name the saved search anything you want, see attached.

Quote:
2) It seemed to me that using the Saved Searches box gave exactly the same results as using the Restrictions box in selecting a virtual library. Am I missing something?
A saved search views a subset of an existing library. Using that same saved search as a restriction and the saved search becomes its own virtual library. It is no longer a subset and anything you do is limited to this group. Note the difference in the Tag browser numbers and the total books in the library.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	name-saved-searches.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	91825  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
A saved search views a subset of an existing library. Using that same saved search as a restriction and the saved search becomes its own virtual library. It is no longer a subset and anything you do is limited to this group. Note the difference in the Tag browser numbers and the total books in the library.
I agree with dwanthny about not messing with separate libraries. If you want a semantic separation from tags, another solution might be a custom column with a set of permitted values. It is presented as a dropdown, and the column will show up in the tag browser. This might be quicker and more flexible than saved searches, as it'll keep your search field free. I made an example for you:

Right click on any column header, and select "Add your own columns" at the bottom. Click the green + sign at the right, enter the values shown in the screenshot, add any other "libraries" you want with commas in between. Restart Calibre (Ctrl+R) and position your column where you want it.

If you want a book to be present in several "libraries", and still have the "library" column be separate from tags, you can use the "Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser" instead.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre_library_column.PNG
Views:	241
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	91936  

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-06-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added example
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert