Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Help with tag browser partitioning

I would like to partition authors since all list is impossible to browse. But if I set it to partition in any way it completely ruins the hierarchical tags which helped me increase calibre speed a lot by letting me delete quite a few complicated custom colums. Is it possible to partition only authors?
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Not sure what you mean.

You can use the tag browser (window on left) to browse each set of authors (say all authors starting with A or all authors starting with A or B etc.)
Tag browser can be turned on or off by selecting tag icon bottom right in main window.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
I would like to partition authors since all list is impossible to browse. But if I set it to partition in any way it completely ruins the hierarchical tags which helped me increase calibre speed a lot by letting me delete quite a few complicated custom colums. Is it possible to partition only authors?
There are 2 places that affect partitioning.
Tweak controls the Popularity display.
Preferences: Look and feel, the Break points.

(I don't use Popularity display) Sort by name works fine with hierarchical tags
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag_part.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	82336  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
And here I didn't even know what partitioning meant. Oh well good think I am not forgetting to take my stupid pills.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #5
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

If I choose partition by first letter it partitions my tags. It looks a little stupid since my tags are grouped so much under each letter is only one tag. So what's the point in collapsing that? I open B letter and all I see is tag book which expands to a few more categories which expands into other. If I press C it shows only character which expands into 4 categories of tags.

Maybe partitioning should count not all tags in total but the first group. I mean if tag is Book.Type.Anthology when counting if tags should be partitioned only the Book should be counted. Since others are under it.
I have over 200 tags but they all are in a few neat groups. Before I used custom columns to extract them according to groups but it really slowed calibre down.
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
Maybe partitioning should count not all tags in total but the first group. I mean if tag is Book.Type.Anthology when counting if tags should be partitioned only the Book should be counted. Since others are under it.
Can't do that because the number of items at the top level is known only after scanning them and building the item tree. Throwing the tree away and rebuilding it again would do wonders for performance.

Instead I added a preference (preferences -> look & feel -> tag browser) where you can enter categories that are not ever to be partitioned. The change is available now if you run from source, otherwise will be in the next release. The box's content is a comma-separated list of categories. Put "tags" and the name of any other categories that you don't want partitioned into that box, such as "tags, series, #mycustomcolumn".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Noughty
Addict

Thank you so much.

Problem solved. Now I can enjoy way way way faster speed (after deleting all the unneeded columns I saw how slow calibre actually was for me) and even better look than with a bunch of columns for tags categories.

Last edited by Noughty; 02-09-2012 at 11:03 AM.