Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Ogien
Ogien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo Vox Many Issues

I have just purchased a Kobo Vox on Friday, have been playing with it, when it works it is a nice little device, however I have found the following major issues with mine:

1. Battery will not charge past %50, I tried the hard reset method with no luck.

2. Kobo will often not wake up from sleep (especially when WIFI is on) sometimes I will turn it off and it will not come up at all even if I hold the power button for 15 seconds. Pressing power rapidly sometimes brings it back up but not always.

3. Various Random crashes, can't give more info than that. Just not a stable build.

I have firmware v1.5

If someone has workarounds to my issues, especially the battery won't charge issue, please help.

P.S. to the Kobo people, I am shocked that you would release such a broken tablet, I am an IT guy so I can find workarounds to the issues, however I can't imagine what someone with no computer experience is going though. Won't power on and won't charge is a STOP THE SALES issue, please fix the firmware.
Ogien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
How you tried powering off the unit prior to charging? My sense is the unit does not charge properly either while awake or asleep but I've found fully powering it off and then plugging it into the charger works.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

I will count my blessings then and perhaps I should not write of my good fortune in case it jinxes it. I was very very worried about buying one because of issues just like you and several others mention Ogien but to date I have no problems.
Charging has been flawless both asleep or turned off. Waking from sleep, no issue. Leave it asleep for most of the day then read some in the evening, leave it asleep overnight and the charge is fine. I don't use many apps and if I mess around with one I make sure to kill it.
I would suggest you return it for another. It sounds like a bad build sad as that is to say.
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am also one of the folks who have had no issues at all--with the caveat that the things that don't work for anyone (for example Netflix), of course, don't work for me either. I wish there was some way to know why some folks are affected and some are not.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Ogien
Ogien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavensOgien is a rising star in the heavens

Charging Issue Solved (Kind off)

Here is an update on my charging issue:

I removed the back panel, hit the reset button. The software now correctly shows %100 charge. Will be turning off the Kobo before charging to prevent the issue from occurring again. Will post result.
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
Here is an update on my charging issue:

I removed the back panel, hit the reset button. The software now correctly shows %100 charge. Will be turning off the Kobo before charging to prevent the issue from occurring again. Will post result.
I always power off to charge. Before the update, it would only charge for me when powered off (I haven't tried any differently since the update).

That being said, I also know that there is a battery glitch that doesn't show it charging even if it is. I've heard a reboot (just turning the device off and then on again) should fix the problem.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
2. Kobo will often not wake up from sleep (especially when WIFI is on) sometimes I will turn it off and it will not come up at all even if I hold the power button for 15 seconds. Pressing power rapidly sometimes brings it back up but not always.
When you hold for 15 seconds, do you then hit the power button once more afterwards? Holding the button for 10 seconds or longer turns off the device (a hard reset) and it requires a second click to turn on. It might take the screen a few minutes to respond but the light should start blinking. (I take my Vox out of its case when I do a hard reset so I know it is starting up again).
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

I ran into the battery problem when the battery ran out before the OS could shut itself down (I have that stupid old habit to do a few charging cycles from time to time, especially with a new battery).
After I deleted the battery stats and started plugging the thing in when it said that I should, it went fine.

All the wifi issues are probably related to encryption and interference - wpasupplicant is a nasty beast (when turning wifi on, it tries to authenticate before having even scanned). I have WPA2 AES and more routers than people in my neighborhood.

The freezes seem to be related to some Update Service (KoboJW gave a hint the other day, but deleted it by now) - when I pm disabled practically everything that is on the system partition and doesn't have 'google' in its name, the system became stable (although the status bar FCs... but who cares about time...)

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-28-2011 at 01:39 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
zazou
zazou began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch; Kobo vox; Sony 350
Quote:
1. Battery will not charge past %50, I tried the hard reset method with no luck.

1. like others said, the best way to recharge the battery is to do a full power off before. For me, if I put it to sleep with wifi off, this will charge but it will freeze when I will try to use it again.

2. When the Kobo doesn't want to power up even after the 10sec, I only have to plug it and a little light will show. Then I can unplug it and power it.

I heard you about all the problems. Hope the Kobo team find out rapidly the solutions.
zazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is worth checking, at least once, to see if taking off the back and pressing the reset button nudges the battery indicator and if you are really at 100%. Kobo did warn us that only the Kobo charger plays really well with the device, so if you are having indicator problems and you are using another charger, you might keep that in mind, too.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Ogien

I am only using the stock charger.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Ogien, I would still try the reset button before doing a reset to factory. From my POV, the order to try things always starts simple: turn the Vox off and on, then progresses through turn it off, holding the power button down for 10 seconds before restarting, to doing the internal button reset, and then if none of those things work, doing a factory reset. The one exception to that order is if it is the Kobo app itself that is borked, in which case, I would reload that before I did a whole device factory reset.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Ogien

It seems to be working now. here is what I did:

1. Removed back cover, hit the reset button, this did not do a factory reset just a hard reset.

2. Turned it off during charging.

Another issue I noticed is that when the Kobo is sleeping it will turn on the screen once a while. Anyone find a solution for that?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
AllosaurusRex
AllosaurusRex began at the beginning.

I have similar problems with my Kobo Vox. It charges to 100% but hangs a lot. For example, if I make a lot of notes on a book, it will just sit there after a few notes and nothing can get it to respond. It requires frequent reboots.

It is a piece of junk which I will not be recommending.
AllosaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
AllosaurusRex
AllosaurusRex began at the beginning.

Oh, and the Kobo Help desk simply does not respond. They are a black hole of unhelpfulness.
AllosaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issues, kobo vox, problems, won't charge, won't power on