Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PDAMill gives away the Palm game store - for free

PDAMill has discontinued their support and sales of Palm games. But in a very generous move, they have now made them all available for free. Full, free unlocked versions. With no support, of course.

That's a very nice offer for all of the PalmOS faithful who still use Garnet (OS 5) devices with at least 320x320 screens. If you also have a Windows Mobile device (or get one in the future), be sure to show your appreciation by purchasing one of the Windows Mobile titles from their store!

Visit PDAMill for the PalmOS downloads. No tricks, just a lot of .zip files!

Then, when you feel like crying as you think about the long slow fall of Palm, and the inevitability of a switch to a new OS, you can play games to make yourself feel better. But make no mistake about it. Sure, many of us are mad at Palm and claim we want to escape their products. However, it's all just because of unmet potential and a long string of disappointments. We feel like the jilted lover. If and when Palm can resurrect themselves and offer nice products with PalmOS II rather than just promising them, we'll probably follow Palm to the ends of the earth. They believe in full computing in "the palm of your hand", so they might just win our hearts over the overly consumerized products coming into the market. Throw in a new library of great 3rd party apps, and maybe there's hope after all for Palm.

Now where is that new Foleo? How's this for a prediction you won't hear anywhere else... Palm will produce a Foleo-like product on the Win Mobile platform before they produce PalmOS II products. It's a great way for them to use all the work that went into the original Foleo design, and get an actual product out in the near future. They want that market, and can move to PalmOS II later by promising better integration features for customers. Plus, with support for PalmOS II devices, they might even boost PalmOS II smart phone sales if they can get the Foleos in consumer/enterprise hands. They key is integration features. I'm betting that Jeff Hawkins has not yet tipped his hand in terms of what he intended to accomplish with the Foleo, and the cancelled product was only intended to dip his toe in the waters. Sure, this is all a long shot, but I'm surprised there haven't been speculations about it before.

P.S. A quick note for those that are newer readers of MobileRead wondering why we have Palm coverage here every so often... don't forget that:
1) MobileRead has a tradition of lots of handheld coverage, so we still have a lot of members that are PalmOS device users
2) A very large part of the e-book reading community is reading books on handhelds, not e-ink devices.

[From PalmAddicts. Your best source for everything Palm.]
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
thats so sound of them. wish i still had my T|X
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thanks for pointing this out, Bob. I'll have to pop over and have a look at the candy store.

I'm one of those who's still hoping that Palm will pull it out, but I'm beginning to feel a bit of weakening in my optimism.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Undue Process !
Undue Process ! doesn't litterUndue Process ! doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505!
This is great. My Zire 72 has basically become a machine devoted entirely to playing Bike or Die! (which I highly recommend to anyone else with a palm) so this will hopefully get some more life out of it before I give up and try to get some cash for it eventually.
Undue Process ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I still love my T|X, but not for reading. I'm one of those diehard Palm fangirls and Palm's decline has saddened me.

Thanks for the game links!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I just fixed my T|X this week and am using it a lot. I'll check these out. They look great.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Thanks. Those games have very good graphics and are very enjoyable.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote