Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
tehKitten, just chiming in to say what a great idea this is of yours, and what a lovely offer. I won't suggest my books, as they're so long! And you'd perhaps prefer working with more contemporary English.

But best of luck with your translations, and with your portfolio!
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
tehKitten
Enthusiast
tehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Translating a book is more difficult than I thought. You don't translate the sentence, you have to translate the MEANING of the sentence. And that in a way that reads and sounds nice. So, the translation is going to take a while longer. ^.^"
I didn't knew that, because it's my first book, but still, I keep trying!
tehKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I've translated a few chapters as a hobby in the past and have found out the same thing, tehKitten.

I've found that what works best for me is to first make a draft as close to the original as possible.
Then change it all so that it sounds natural in my language.
Then change it all again to keep as much of the 'feel' of the sentence, eg humour, tone or whatever, even if it is unrecognizable in other respects

A good translation is hard work, and an art in itself. You have to have a great understanding of the language you're translating, to be able to recognise subtle nuances in tone and meaning. And you have to be able to express yourself perfectly in yours. It being your native language is not enough. Oh, and you have to understand exactly what the writer had in mind, to understand as much as possible what they are describing and what they are trying to convey.

I hope I didn't make you anxious. I do wish you success in your endeavour, and I believe it bodes well that you did realise early on how much more there is in translating than meets the eye.

All that said, Maisy May is written in the very natural, informal voice of a 15 year old girl. So maybe you are in exactly the right position to make a very beautiful and natural-sounding translation.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #19
ToniLeland
Author
ToniLeland began at the beginning.

Sure, no problem. I only just joined MR, so haven't been too active. And if the book isn't your genre, don't worry about it. I just saw that you were wondering why more people didn't contact you....
And since you are 16, I'm sure you have school work to do as well!
ToniLeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehKitten View Post
Translating a book is more difficult than I thought. You don't translate the sentence, you have to translate the MEANING of the sentence. And that in a way that reads and sounds nice. So, the translation is going to take a while longer. ^.^"
Don't you love getting into a task and realising it's bigger than you thought? Happens to me all the time at work omk3's advice sounds spot on Good luck!
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Oh by the way, nomesque, inspired by tehKitten I tried my hand at translating Dead(ish), and as I was suspecting, you have already written it in Greek and you didn't realise. It rolls off the tongue (keyboard) and mostly it sounds natural on the first try. I think I'll go on and finish it.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #22
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Oh by the way, nomesque, inspired by tehKitten I tried my hand at translating Dead(ish), and as I was suspecting, you have already written it in Greek and you didn't realise. It rolls off the tongue (keyboard) and mostly it sounds natural on the first try. I think I'll go on and finish it.
Thanks luv, much appreciated. Maybe it's my mediterranean blood coming through.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #23
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We are looking for translators for Haunted Computer Books and we pay a 10 percent royalty of proceeds as long as the edition is in print (which, with ebooks, should be a long time!)

We will publish ebooks in every language we can find a competent translator and you get your name on the cover. The ebook market is about to explode. If anyone is interested, please email me (Scott) at hauntedcomputerbooks@yahoo.com

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

That's part and parcel of translating....a literal translation is often not possible....it would be too easy if it was !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #25
tehKitten
Enthusiast
tehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enough

I've translated the first chapter now. I know it's not much, but I'm speeding up! I'm getting the hang of it, I think.
I won't give up!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I've translated the first chapter now. I know it's not much, but I'm speeding up! I'm getting the hang of it, I think.
I won't give up!

that's what all my cats say when they are mischief making ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #27
tehKitten
Enthusiast

I will take a break now, I got a little trouble of RSI at the moment, so I want to type a little as possible. I'm now writing with one hand, so I will take a break for a week or two.
I'm sorry, I will start as soon as I don't have any pain anymore.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #28
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Hi Kitten in Training!

Are you interested in translating a short story? I have two collections and while I am not sure about translating entire collections, perhaps a translation of a short that I can then offer on my website?

Let me know what you think. You mentioned in your earlier offer that you wanted to do this for MR--do you want to post the translation here? Let's chat when your hand is feeling better!!!

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #29
tehKitten
Enthusiast

Okay.

I got now vacation. (It officially started 2 days ago;3)
That means I'm getting a lot of time to translate, so I will work faster.
But there are some other things I have to do too in this vacation.
I'm also in training to be a timer. A timer? Yes a timer.
A timer works for a fansub, and a fansub group makes subtitles for Japanese anime's. The times makes the subtitles show up at the right time, and that's all. My training for that started a few months ago, and I may almost work on the first real project ;3
And I'm doing QC for the fansubs too, so that takes some time too. (QC = Quality Check, timing errors, encoding errors, grammair errors, missing lines, and all kind of stuff.)

But the translation of the book is going to be finished. It's sure lot of work, but I like it ;3

back to work now~
Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #30
nomesque

Hey Kitten,

Is the RSI settled down now?

WOOHOO for the holidays!! The timing work sounds sort of boring, to be honest, but necessary - and I like anime too, so I'm sure that would help decrease any boredom factor

It's great to hear that you're steaming ahead on the translation... but you are having some relaxation time too, right?

Tags
translate, translating