Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
lburg801
lburg801 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help! Unable to change covers using Caliber

PC laptop, Win7, no portable device, Adobe Digital Editions.
When I try to add a cover (download or file on computer or copy/paste), the image shows but when I click OK, I get this error msg.

calibre, version 3.20.0
ERROR: Permission denied: Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?

Locked file: C:\Users\T_H_M\Documents\Calibre Library\Roald Dahl\George's Marvellous Medicine (23)\cover.jpg

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 579, in apply_changes
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\basic_widgets.py", line 1210, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 713, in set_cover
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1230, in set_cover
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1427, in set_cover
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\img.py", line 221, in save_cover_data_to
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 116, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u"C:\\Users\\T_H_M\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Roald Dahl\\George's Marvellous Medicine (23)\\cover.jpg"

The file is not being used by another program. I have shut everything down but Caliber. It makes no difference. I have done an uninstall and reinstall and even cleaned the registry as a last resort. I'm stumped.
lburg801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post
The file is not being used by another program. I have shut everything down but Caliber. It makes no difference. I have done an uninstall and reinstall and even cleaned the registry as a last resort. I'm stumped.

After you did all of this did you reboot your computer?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Is your library located in a folder that is being sync'd such as Dropbox or OneDrive? If so pause syncing while working on the library.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@lburg801 - If no luck with previous responses, web search for - how to find out what program is using a file in windows

I use the Process Explorer method described here

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is a permission denied error, it does not neccessarily mean that the file is open in another program, that is just the most common cause of such erorrs on windows. See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
lburg801

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
After you did all of this did you reboot your computer?
Yes, I rebooted several times.

I read in some old threads that using Caliber as an administrator would take care of the problem, but it did not help.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
lburg801

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Is your library located in a folder that is being sync'd such as Dropbox or OneDrive? If so pause syncing while working on the library.
No. It is just in my Document folder and I do not have any automatic backups running.

I read something in another thread about making some change to Windows Firewall and I also have Avast. I don't recall what it was that I was to have changed, but found where a program or site could be listed but was unable to enter anything. That was Avast.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
lburg801

Smile Avast paid version is causing the prob with Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is a permission denied error, it does not neccessarily mean that the file is open in another program, that is just the most common cause of such erorrs on windows. See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error
It was none of the above. I turned off Avast and Calibre works, so I am trying to get support from Avast to learn how to prevent the problem.

Thanks to everyone who replied.