Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
high capacity battery clones for Hanlin V3/Bebook

Hi,

In the process of researching/buying the Hanlin v3 at the moment. I've noticed it takes Nokia BL-4C, BL-5C and clones and the default battery has a rating of 950 mAH

On ebay you can get much higher rated clones (eg 1400 mAh and 1800 mAh) for a pittance - ie a few Aussie dollars and often including a battery charger.

Has anyone tried out any higher rated battery than the default and have they done any tests on effect on Hanlin battery life. Or does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

I know the battery life is already great at 950 mAh (eg approx 8000 page turns) but for a few dollars is there any harm increasing this to 1000 pages plus ?

Thanks for any thoughts

PS I did this with my panasonic cordless phone (ie bought higher rated batteries) and extended battery life is really noticeable

Last edited by mobelby; 11-12-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: more thoughts
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
In my experience, (Palm T3, Nokia 770 batteries) I have had no success at all with these so-called high capacity batteries, even from different sources - ebay and local. Battery capacity was always lower than the original part, and the batteries always deteriorated more quickly as well - often lasting less than a year. Of course, when buying on ebay, by the time you've discovered the battery has a quite low capacity, it is too late to return it.

I'm not saying good high capacity batteries don't exist, just that I've never bought one.

However, the Hanlin battery probably isn't anything special so may more easily be improved on. I certainly don't get anything like the 7000 page turns as rated with my current BeBook battery. More like 1000 page turns although I never turn the device off.

I wouldn't expect significantly more capacity in a package the same size as the original. I see Jinke offer replacement batteries very cheaply, maybe BeBook and the others would be interested in doing so as well.

I don't think that buying an expensive battery will always get you a high quality battery, but buying a cheap one almost certainly won't.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
From my experience, switching to original Nokia BL-5c battery increases battery life, and noticeably. At least I can easily get 3-4 weeks (without turning device off) and about 2500 page turns during these weeks.
But cheap chinease batteries sold on Ebay aren't as good, also tried several (on my PDAs - Sony and iPaq), didn't notice great improvement.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
I know this is an ancient thread...please don't beat me for posting to it ?!?

I have found a cousin of these readers - a near clone of the Astak EZReader, and since it was very inexpensive I bought one.

It arrived minus any battery - boohoohoo !!

I found that the spare Nokia BL-5C battery for my phone fits the slot and powers it up, but it is too thick for the battery door to shut on this reader.

From what I can find by searching, the Nokia BL-4C battery is very close in size & capacity, but thinner - so I'm thinking that it may fit but I do not have one to be able to check it.

My query:
Has anyone got both of these batteries and could you confirm that they are almost the same but that the Nokia BL-4C is just thinner ??

Thanks for any help.

Addendum:
Another battery that seems to be the same as the Nokia BL-4C battery is a generic number 423450 battery, but since those sites listing it are in other languages it is difficult to be certain...

Last edited by smallhagrid; 05-23-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: more info added
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
I know this is an ancient thread...please don't beat me for posting to it ?!?

I have found a cousin of these readers - a near clone of the Astak EZReader, and since it was very inexpensive I bought one.

It arrived minus any battery - boohoohoo !!

I found that the spare Nokia BL-5C battery for my phone fits the slot and powers it up, but it is too thick for the battery door to shut on this reader.

From what I can find by searching, the Nokia BL-4C battery is very close in size & capacity, but thinner - so I'm thinking that it may fit but I do not have one to be able to check it.

My query:
Has anyone got both of these batteries and could you confirm that they are almost the same but that the Nokia BL-4C is just thinner ??

Thanks for any help.

Addendum:
Another battery that seems to be the same as the Nokia BL-4C battery is a generic number 423450 battery, but since those sites listing it are in other languages it is difficult to be certain...
The great thing about the Hanlin is that it does take an easily replaceable battery. I have a couple of these which I use occasionally and have had no problem fitting the Nokia BL-5C battery. I think you are right about the BL-4C being that little bit slimmer and otherwise compatible.

I've just used a micrometer on four BL-5Cs and there seems to be minor variations in depth. Looking closely the thickest part of the battery is the plastic "flange" at each end; you might be able to pare a bit off there to get the width down to the same thickness as the body (the label which wraps round can extend over the flange and increase the thickness unnecessarily). I have performed "surgery" on a camera battery to provide an index indentation on a cheap replacement battery rather than pay 10x the price for a "proper" one - a bit of ingenuity can be financially rewarding with things like this.

Beware of some allegedly very high capacity batteries (I got a Chinese one marked 2450mA/H). Unless the actual discharge rate and end voltage is quoted capacity comparisons can be misleading.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Thanks for pitching in BobC.
I may just have to jump in and buy a BL-4C just to test one...

Trouble is that this reader, unlike the EZReader, has a very dinky battery door with tiny plastic hooks rather than burly tabs and a screw to fasten it.

I may try removing the label from a spare BL-5C, but I doubt that I could slim it enough to get the door on without breaking the dainty thing.

On the other hand - it may be just as well (though uglier) to just use the thicker battery and some clear tape and call it good...only time will tell.

I am still very glad to have found this model as I have always been worried as to what I might use to replace what I have, which is perfectly suited to my preferences.

A friend of mine also wants a reader - really liked mine - and now that I have this one in-hand I can honestly recommend it as comparable.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #7
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Interesting on your comment on the physical build of the reader. I though all Hanlin V3 clones were identical and came out of the same factory.

I have the Bebook versions and the instructions for that specifically mention the Nokia 5C.

What brand name does you reader use ?

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 AM   #8
Ami_K
Ami_K began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 | Hanlin V5 | Nexus 7 | Lenovo Yoga tab 3
I know this is a bit of a necropost, but it seems there's some new, old stock V5's going around. I bought 2.
I figure some more people are going to look at this.

The Nokia BL-4c is 860 mAh, 53 x 34 x 4.5 mm. The original is 60 x 44.5x 3.6 mm
The Nokia BL-4u is the closest match at 1000 mAh, 61 x 38 x 4 mm

The battery door will not close with either of these batteries, even with the controller physically disconnected (as it is in the plastic shroud at the top of the battery) and the label removed.

If you find a compatible battery and the controller is giving you trouble, you can "trick" the device.

Above information is from here

Of course, all experimentation is at your own risk.

I believe the 4c and 4u works as is, with the existing controller, but I could not confirm that.
I am actually still using the original battery, which I do want to replace as it is probably unsafe.

I did find the exact battery for sale in Russia, I asked them if they were willing to ship it, they simply told me it was not possible.
Ami_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 AM   #9
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thumbs up

Way cool !!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_K View Post
I know this is a bit of a necropost, but it seems there's some new, old stock V5's going around. I bought 2.
I figure some more people are going to look at this.
It would be great if you would please tell the rest of us where to find these readers, please ??

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:53 AM   #10
Ami_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Way cool !!:

It would be great if you would please tell the rest of us where to find these readers, please ??

Thanks.
I bought mine on ebay actually, $30 each (AUD) sold as the "Eco Eclipse".

I just found a battery claimed as original for this, I am trying to find more information on it as it doesn't have the normal markings to identify it.

"Hanlin V5 Original Battery"
From "chinaglobalmall"

Last edited by Ami_K; 09-28-2017 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Link
Old 09-28-2017, 03:35 AM   #11
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thanks for the info !!
It is also an exact clone of my EZReader.
(Not useful to someone in the US, sadly.)

I had found some near-clones on Amazon for around $20US, and got a couple a while back.
Very satisfactory despite having a lighter build quality - but all else works the same as my EZReader & it takes the Nokia BL4C (without leads) directly.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #12
Ami_K

I noticed he only has the V3's now, I probably should have bought that and I wouldn't be having these battery issues
Old 09-28-2017, 03:52 AM   #13
Ami_K

Well I just found the original battery for sale it seems.

Here

Note: Every single seller of that battery, on Taobao, which all use the same image, are considered "high risk" or "not recommended" by an agent website. Shipping was also 15-20$

This place has the V5 for sale but it is expensive at over $260 USD.

They are still definitely for sale in China, here and here at very least. Someone's got to make a battery...

Last edited by Ami_K; 09-28-2017 at 05:06 AM.