Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Are the newer models of kindles better made than the older models were?

Are the newer model kindles better made in terms of how long they can go then then the older models were? I personally do not have enough experience to answer the question one way or the other since I have had only two kindles.

My first bit the dust after 15 months and its replacement has been going for a little over two years. So from the looks of things yeah the newer kindle, a paper white model one, is doing much better than the older kindle three did.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Definitely. The plastic is stronger and more sturdy on the PW compared to my K3.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
In our family we have 3 Kindle Ones, 1 Kindle 2, 2 Kindle Keyboard (K3), and 1 Kindle Fire as well as numerous Kindle apps. We've never had a Kindle fail. When the K3 came out, I upgraded just to get the Wi-Fi connectivity and black case and passed my K1 down to my nephew. The 3 K1 devices were bought in February, May and May of 2008. Until I passed mine down to my nephew, I read on it a minimum of 5 hours per week, so it was heavily used.

The only problem we've had with any Kindle is losing them. My niece had two Kindles stolen at work and I left one in the seat pocket on an airplane.

So, from my experience, the Kindles have been well made from the beginning.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I have no data on this, but it seems that in the K3 (Keyboard) days I'd see a post almost every day either here or on other sites with a picture of a broken screen asking what was wrong with it.

It's been a LONG time since I've seen such a picture, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a picture of a paperwhite with a broken screen. Either people are getting better at figuring it out themselves, people suddenly all stopped asking, I'm unobservant, or the durability improved... I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Edit: to get an idea, I did a Google image search for 'kindle broken screen' and got tons and tons of Kindle Keyboards (K3), a few K4, and maybe 1 Paperwhite that was really trashed. I think they have improved.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-14-2014 at 02:36 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
PieMan597
Still a pie
PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, OnePlus 7 Pro
I've had my touch for three and a half years now, and it is still going strong. My experiences with the paperwhite (which I do not own) are mostly good, except I had a friend who broke his screen after a year.
I do no have any experiences with any of the older Kindles. Just don't drop your Kindle.
PieMan597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
IMHO It All depends on the care they receive!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I don't have a Paperwhite, but based on this video it appears much harder to disassemble for repair than my more-or-less snap-open Kindle Keyboard:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=214
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have had my K3 since summer, 2010 with no problems. Occasionally it hangs and I have to restart. That is something I have noticed in the last 4 months, but it has only happened about 5 times and may not be a kindle problem per se. It could be a file problem, something corrupted etc.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Are the newer model kindles better made in terms of how long they can go then then the older models were? I personally do not have enough experience to answer the question one way or the other since I have had only two kindles.

My first bit the dust after 15 months and its replacement has been going for a little over two years. So from the looks of things yeah the newer kindle, a paper white model one, is doing much better than the older kindle three did.

You can take a lot of potshots at Amazon but their customer service is top notch. Part of that customer service is a commitment towards product improvement. I have owned a model of every Kindle since the Keyboard and the two PW2 units I have now are the best.

I did order a Voyage, with a delivery date of next week, and I fully expect it to be the best yet.

Another case in point is Audible. I've been an audible listener for years and since Amazon has aquired them it is easier and more comvenient than ever to download books.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote