Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-21-2021, 06:42 AM   #1
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Compress images losslessly

With Calibre 5.15, and now 5.16, the "Compress images losslessly" feature of the E-book editor his not working properly. If I use it to do a lossy compression it appears to work, and reports the new, smaller file size in the file browser, but if I save and close the editor, then later re-open the same file, the image will have gone back to it's original (pre lossy compression) size.

I am running Calibre 5.16 on Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Cinnamon Edition.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I am guessing you are trying to compress the cover image. that is replaced from the calibre library every time you open the editor. You can turn that off under calibre itegration in the editor settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 08:08 AM   #3
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I cannot find the setting you mention, see screenshot:
https://ibb.co/mqm7hFc

Is this a new setting? I have over years compressed cover images, but have never seen this happen before 5.15. Also, if I close the editor, then in calibre do 'Unpack Book', the size is as before compression.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Update metadata embedded in the book when opening" and it has always existed.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
jlynton
Evangelist

Thanks again Kovid.
I see how it works now. Would it be possible to separate it into two options, ie.
- Update metadata embedded in the book when opening
- Update cover.jpeg embedded in the book when opening
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not worth the work to me, sorry.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #7
jlynton
Evangelist

I understand. In any case, thank you so much for all the work you have put into Calibre, it is EXCELLENT!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
To avoid this, I change the cover in the metadata after I have compressed it in the Editor. I use the "Set the cover for the book from the selected format" tool in the top right corner of the Edit Metadata panel. A huge un-compressed cover in the metadata will come back to haunt you not only in the Editor, but anytime the metadata is updated to the book file, like on sending to a device, updating metadata after changing comments, and so on.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
jlynton
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
To avoid this, I change the cover in the metadata after I have compressed it in the Editor. I use the "Set the cover for the book from the selected format" tool in the top right corner of the Edit Metadata panel. A huge un-compressed cover in the metadata will come back to haunt you not only in the Editor, but anytime the metadata is updated to the book file, like on sending to a device, updating metadata after changing comments, and so on.
Thank you so much, that is exactly what I wanted. I also see that one can Edit the metadata for multiple books, and select the 'Change cover' -> 'Set from e-book files' option.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I never ever have Calibre update the metadata. I do it myself in the editor. This way, I have full control.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote