Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
"Open with..." with a switch, how to?

I want to proccess a .xhtml file from Sigil with external program but I also want the file will be open (externally) with a command option and the "Open with..." dialog doesn't allow me to do that. How must I procced in those cases?

Thanks in advance.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Create an executable batch file or link and add command line option inside of that.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Create an executable batch file or link and add command line option inside of that.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard

I made a bat file with the following command:

MyProgram.exe -u %1

and I saved all as "MyBat.bat". If I drop a .xhtml file on that .bat, all works fine but if I want to proccess a .xhtml file with the same .bat by means of "Open with..." nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is MyProgram.exe on your PATH?

I'm able to use the following in a batch file on Windows 10 and pass the /p parameter to EditPadLite (to open in Print Preview) and have it work with Open With.

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Just Great Software\EditPad Lite 7\EditPadLite7.exe" /p %1
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is MyProgram.exe on your PATH?
No it isn't. But the .bat file is in the same folder of MyProgram.exe (with a different name of the .exe file).

But now I'm suspecting it can be a bug. I made a .bat file with the following line:

c:\windows\notepad.exe %1

The path wouldn't be neccesary because notepad.exe is in the Windows folder, but even so, I wrote the path to notepad in the .bat. Well, after selecting with "Open with..." that .bat file, the .xhtml didn't open inside Notepad (nothing happened). But, if instead of using the .bat, I open the .xhtml file directly with Notepad (throught Open with), the file is open without issue.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
No it isn't. But the .bat file is in the same folder of MyProgram.exe (with a different name of the .exe file).
Doesn't really matter with the way the detached process is launched by Qt. You're better off supplying the full path to your exe in your batch file.

Quote:
But now I'm suspecting it can be a bug. I made a .bat file with the following line:

The path wouldn't be neccesary because notepad.exe is in the Windows folder, but even so, I wrote the path to notepad in the .bat. Well, after selecting with "Open with..." that .bat file, the .xhtml didn't open inside Notepad (nothing happened). But, if instead of using the .bat, I open the .xhtml file directly with Notepad (throught Open with), the file is open without issue.
It can't be Sigil bug, because I'm able to do exactly what you want to do with a batch file on Windows. In fact your exact example:

in a batch file works to open xhtml files from Book Browser in notepad on my Windows machine.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-13-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
It can't be Sigil bug, because I'm able to do exactly what you want to do with a batch file on Windows. In fact your exact example:

in a batch file works to open xhtml files from Book Browser in notepad on my Windows machine.
How weird! Maybe is something with my Windows 7. I tried with others text editor (Notepad++, Sublime) and I can't open the .xhtml by means of a .bat with "Open with...". But if I drop a .xhtml file on the .bat file, the .xhtml is loaded perfectly (so, the .bat is ok).
Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'll test on Windows 7 when I get home to make sure it's not some sort of 10 vs 7 thing.

But rather then testing by dropping files on the batch file, try running it from a terminal and providing the path to the xhtml file as a parameter. That will more closely approximate how Sigil will be launching things.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Hmmm. I get the same results you do on Windows 7. I'll have to do some investigating.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
But rather then testing by dropping files on the batch file, try running it from a terminal and providing the path to the xhtml file as a parameter. That will more closely approximate how Sigil will be launching things.
The .bat works perfectly from a terminal. So, the .bat file is ok.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Hmmm. I get the same results you do on Windows 7. I'll have to do some investigating.
Well, something that is working on Windows 10, it doesn't do it on Windows 7.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

perhaps it needs something else to launch it. It was a long way back but I remember a command called "start" that was needed to launch certain filetypes but ...
Old 08-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #14
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
perhaps it needs something else to launch it. It was a long way back but I remember a command called "start" that was needed to launch certain filetypes but ...
I tried with "start" and doen't work either But the weird thing is that on Windows 10 Diap says that all work perfectly (without the command "start").
Old 08-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hmm the only other things I remember was usung the first line to set the drive

so something like:

c:

and then renaming it from .bat to .cmd but that is the limit of my knowledge.

DiapDealer is really the expert here. Perhaps he can figure out what is different between Windows 7 and Windows 10 here.

Sorry.