Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
bobulbous
bobulbous began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
Not happy with Bebook. Try Kindle DX?

Hi

After a bit of research and trying one out in my local book shop in London I bought a bebook neo a few months ago.

As time has gone on I'm getting more and more frustrated with the device as time goes on. The touchscreen (for notes, a main reason I got it) is pretty cheap and unreliable (even after multiple calibrations), the internet feature is pretty much unuseable for how quick it wipes out the battery. Also I think the pdf handling can be pretty shoddy, and 99% of my files are pdf.

Does anyone recomend me trying out a kindle? I like the idea of the large screen, which hopefully overcomes the loss of zoom function in the bebook (anyone confirm?). Obviously the probelm is I cannot try a kindle out before I buy.

Anyone had access to both machines and care to give me any advice comparisons?

(sorry for the double post, accidentally put this in the general forum first)
bobulbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast
majidbhurgri began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle3/3G
This may not address the issue directly, but have you tried updating the firmware on BeBook?

The latest firmware update for Onyx Boox can also be used on BeBook and that might address some of the issues that you experience.
majidbhurgri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If PDF support is your main priority, the Kindle is not the machine for you; its PDF support is truly dire. No hyperlinks, no table of contents, no zoom - no anything.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
If you can live with some glare and a little less contrast, then - in my opinion - the Sony touch works great. Most of my files are pdf and I like both ways it handles pdfs (zoom and pan, zoom by reflowing).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The main problem with the Sony's PDF support is the fact that it resets the zoom every time you turn the page. That, for me, is a real nuisance.
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
bobulbous

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah I've updated the firmware, I still think it's below par.
Is the no zoom aspect of the DX not made up for by the large screen?
And the Sony zoom page reset cancels it out straight away.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's not the lack of zoom that's the main problem; it's the lack of hyperlink support. Doesn't matter if you're reading short articles, but for a reference book, where hyperlinks are vital for finding the information you're looking for (did I mention that there's no search either?) it's critical.

I think personally that the Neo has pretty good PDF support; I'd be interested to know what you perceive its shortcomings to be.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main problem with the Sony's PDF support is the fact that it resets the zoom every time you turn the page. That, for me, is a real nuisance.
For me it's perfect as most pdfs I have differ in layout from page to page. So going to a full page view to get some orientation worked really out for me.

But I can understand that it can also be bad. But in my case, in 80% I need the zoom, going to full page is great.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
bobulbous

Quote:
It's not the lack of zoom that's the main problem; it's the lack of hyperlink support. Doesn't matter if you're reading short articles, but for a reference book, where hyperlinks are vital for finding the information you're looking for (did I mention that there's no search either?) it's critical.

I think personally that the Neo has pretty good PDF support; I'd be interested to know what you perceive its shortcomings to be.
I didn't know about the lack of a search option.

The neo is just too sluggish, it also seems to act inconsisently across a variety of similar sized/quality pdfs.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
bobulbous

I think what I might do is just try and buy a second hand kindle on ebay, try them both out side by side for a week or so and then just re sell either the Neo or the Kindle I guess.

Also, how likely is it that Kindle may add better pdf features with a future firmware update? I'm aware thats a question that may be unanswerable at the minute.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulbous View Post
Does anyone recomend me trying out a kindle? I like the idea of the large screen, which hopefully overcomes the loss of zoom function in the bebook (anyone confirm?). Obviously the probelm is I cannot try a kindle out before I buy.
Well you kind of can. Amazon allows the user up to 30 days to return the product for a full refund. You can buy a kindle and if your not happy return it for a full refund. My experience is it really only takes a week of usage before one can tell they will like or dislike a product.

Truthfully most eInk devices support PDF poorly.

That is no different for the Kindle, especially when compared to the level of support it has for it's MOBI format.

If you just read PDF then they experience will be just fine. I've lasted 3 yrs with the 505, without a dictionary, search, etc..... The larger screen will be quite enjoyable. Also there is new software rolling out that will enable Zooming on the Kindle.

Quote:
There is definitely a search capability on the Kindle.

There is a goto page..., go to front, bookmarks, and search. Missing feature are hyperlinks, dictionary, annotations, and TTS.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote