Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Flyingpig
Flyingpig began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Cool Anybody knows if Kobo can use external font?

Just got my Kobo today. Pretty happy with it. For English books, it works pretty well. But for Asian languages. I have to embed font into epub file to read. This is kind a pain as it increase the file size, and kind of annoying. Tried the tool I found on the forum. Found it is pretty good, except it includes the font 4 times while what really needed should be just once.

So my question is: Since Kobo is based on Linux, anyone knows if we can do some trick like src: url(KoboMountedInternal<Or External SD>/Font/xxx.ttf)?

So we will only need to update css in calibre.

Thanks in advance.
Flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I've used epubs which contain different fonts, and they certainly look different than the defaults. The Kobo bulk fixer program also allows you to use a different font. So technically the device is certainly capable of it.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Flyingpig
Flyingpig began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Yup, that is what I am using currently to create embedded font epubs. Just feel it is kind of annoying to increase the file size by a couple of megs each. A font link will be ideal. And since calibre does not support embedded font at the moment. Every time we need to go through bulk fixer to embed font. That means I need to switch from osx to Windows
Flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
shall1028
Nameless Being

The size increase of the ePub file, of course, depends on the size of the font files in question. If you embed, say, a full Unicode version of the Arial font then yes, it'll increase by megabytes.

I just created two ePub file of ten short poems; one file with no fonts and one file with three embedded fonts. Their sizes are 172k and 377k. Fairly negligible size change when you consider they'll be placed on a 4GB SD card.