Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
Curses! I knew this would be a bad thread to watch...

I just want to know one thing, imaredr, how do the screens of your two devices compare? I love my Q7 but that JE100 looked really cool too!

So, just tell me how much better the Q7's screen is and I'll be just fine.

Until the reviews start rolling out here, of course.
That is a hard one for me to answer. I find the screen on the JE100 to be more responsive, but it doesn't seem as robust/durable as the Q7. As far as clarity, I don't really see a difference. I am not sure but I don't think they are made of the same material. I'll have to pay more attention and compare the screens and get back to you.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Ellen if you don't mind I think I know what Nation is asking. She favors using WinCE on her Q7 I believe. If that case is true, she is strictly speaking of Q7's WinCE 6.0 vs. JoinTech's WinCE 5.0. This was in response to my comment about JoinTech possibly running more WinCE applications without trouble than the Q7. There are many older WinCE applications that don't work for some reason or another on the Q7. There also seems to be some Windows Mobile applications that run on WinCE 5.0 that don't seem to work on WinCE 6.0. As far as Linux goes, I do believe there are more applications available for the Q7 if you are looking at it from the linux perspective.
No problem ColdSun! Youa re are right. My focus is always on ebook reading. Sometimes I do get sidetracked. I installed gnome-games with the help of others from this forum as well as some other apps like Xournal.

Quote:
I don't think one is better than the other, its just a matter of which OS you prefer. WinCE seems to be a little easier for users to pick up because most of us come into contact with a Windows PC on a daily basis for one thing or another.
Since my main priority was having a 7" color screen, I didn't mind using only FBreader. I have a N800 so I know a little (very little) about Linux. Once Win CE was available, I jumped on it. I am much more familar with that operating system based on my PPC/PDA days.

My focus then shifted to being able to have my Fav4 reading apps. Those are MS reader, Ereader, uBook, and Mobipocket. I was able to install all four on the JE100 (couldn't get MS reader to work on the Q7, but I am still trying). I have also installed Alreader and Zulureader on both devices, but have not really played around with them.

Ellen
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #18
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
After talking to the distributor, I've been given permission to post more information on the devices I'll be reviewing very soon.

First up is a 7" ebook device that appears to be an OEM version of the JE-100 by JoinTech. I talked with both the distributor here in the US and the company in China who supplies it. This device is of much higher build quality as compared to a SmartQ7. Its metal instead of plastic. It has buttons on the side for paging the book. I'll give my solid review of the quality and details in my review. NOTE: Wireless not built in, but there is an adapter for it. The review model will be here sometime next week. Here's a preview:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows CE 5.0
CPU: 400 MHz; RAM 64M
7" High Resolution TFT LCD, with touch panel 800x480 16K
Support external USB Standard QWERTY Keyboard
Storage: Nand Flash 128 MB, 2GB TF card in the package
Display can be rotated(Horizonal or vertical) with simple click
Audio and video Player, Images viewer. USB Port: Host: 1.1*1
MS Office, MS Excel, MS Power Point, PDF etc.
Build-in Microphone, Built in Speaker/ Audio Out, support WiFi
Battery Life: 3 to 6 hours. Dimension: 18.2cmx11.7cmx1.45cm;
Accessories: - Power Adaptor - Leather Case - USB Mini Cable - Ear Phone - Battery (1500mA) - User Manual(English) - (Wifi Adapter optional)

The other device, and just as interesting if not more so, is this one:

Windows-CE6.0 embedded operating system
Processor: ARM CORTEX A8 600M, and dedicated DSP graphic core (wohoo!)
7 inch TFT Touch Screen, 800 x 480p
WI-FI 802.11b/g/n module and bluetooth built in
MSN/SKYPE/QQ, online 3D games online chat
GPS receiver module(OPTION with additional cost $30)
Stereo, high-fidelity output by 3D surround speakers, adjustable volume
Support T-FLASH card upto 16GB
Support video AVI, MPEG4, MPEG2, WMV, H.264 and other video file playback
Audio Player, Images viewer. USB Port
Battery operation cycle: 5 to 8 hours; rechargeable

Word from the distributor and chinese supplier say that this device is metal, not plastic, WITH A METAL STAND. It is supposedly very fast. They will be shipping me the review model very soon. There is only 1 button on the device - POWER. Its otherwise completely touchscreen.

I'll be reviewing other devices after these. A 4.3" MID running WinCE 6.0 OR Android that has a form factor very similar to a Nokia N810 (sliding to reveal keyboard inside). I'll get pricing on these things for you soon. The distributor is in the United States and the supplier is in China. Judging from my discussions with them, the pricing is very competative. Think SmartQ7 prices or around there.

There is one other thing I want to mention. I've decided to buy the second one. The reason I want to do these reviews is to give people information that I didn't have when I purchased a few of the other devices I now own.

Also, I honestly feel that many name brand companies like Sony and Amazon have IGNORED the market this kind of device in this form factor has around the world. Only the Chinese, in their wisdom, have begun releasing book-size multifunction internet devices using LCD screens like these. For reading, all we have to choose from are expensive single function e-Ink devices. That just isn't right. Most of us here understand the differences of e-Ink and LCD. There is no need to get that started again in this thread and I ask that we refrain from it. Hopefully the interest these LCD devices have started to generate (in this size - 6 or more inches for a screen) will get some of these major companies to take stock in those of us who want a larger iPod.

I hear Microsoft is developing a book/tablet (MS Courier - http://gizmodo.com/5369493/the-couri...-secret-tablet) that is about the size of a paperback with screens on each side when you open it (and it has an all-new OS that is supposed to be amazing). ;P Someone out there might finally be taking notice.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-16-2009 at 05:37 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MS Surface Pro 1, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks, ColdSun. I'll be watching for your reviews.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
After talking to the distributor, I've been given permission to post more information on the devices I'll be reviewing very soon.
Wow, both devices look wonderful. I decided not to get a Q7 because of too many reports of fatal hardware problems. These sound better. How much is the approximate price of each of these beauties? What sort of RAM does the 2nd one have?

If either of these can open large graphic heavy PDFs for less than $300, I'm sold.
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #21
imaredr
Collector

Coldsun,

I am foaming at the mouth! I can't wait!!! Like I said , I want another JE100 as a back up, but that second device looks like a dream.

Ellen
Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Thanks ColdSun !

I have been thinking about buying a JE-100 as it seems to be just the perfect device for me. Do you know if either the US Distributor -or- the Chinese supplier are selling to end users yet ? Any idea what the price is and/or how to get in touch with them ?

Thanks !
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #23
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I'm working on getting the prices from them. The JE-100 OEM is available and the distributor is getting me the price by tomorrow. The other unit should be available shortly. I will list the prices as soon as I know.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #24
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Any idea about the weight of the second device ? I heard the JE100 is 250 grams, which is perfect !
Old 10-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #25
dsingh
dsingh began at the beginning.

Device: None
Wow. That second device seems to be just what I'm looking for. Looking forward to your review. Can you also please include details on where to get it ?
dsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #26
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
I'm interested in the second one. I would appreciate if you could please tell me what the dimensions, weight and device name is.

Last edited by Frankr; 10-17-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #27
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Hello everyone,

The price for the JE-100 OEM is $289 with free shipping from the United States.
The price for the new ARM Cortex A8 Mid is also $289 and free shipping from the United States.

So slightly more than the SmartQ7, but both units are supposed to be of higher quality. If you are interested in purchasing either of these devices you can get them from the United States distributor via either eBay or his website. Here are a couple of his ebay listings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-inch-touch-scr...item3a53f33b50

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-inch-touch-scr...item3a537f055d

Here is his normal website store:

http://www.e-lectiostore.com/store.html

Tell him Heath Brown AKA ColdSun sent you if you don't mind. Oh and he also has 7 or so SmartQ7s in stock and is selling them for $224 (I *think* he said free shipping BUT don't hold me to that on the SmartQ7s). He accepts Paypal. He has been selling these ebook devices for a while due to his e-bible business. Good luck all. The JE-100 OEM will be here in a couple days so I'm hoping to have the review done over the weekend. Hopefully the other unit will arrive in a week or so.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-20-2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Updated Info
Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #28
rana
Gadget Freak

BTW, if anyone is planning to buy from ebay, you can get an additional 8% cashback from Bing.com

Simply go to Bing.com and search for something, like "ebook reader". On the search results page, on the top of the page you should see a sponsored link that says "Buy Ebook reader. You may get 8% off with PayPal if eligible." Make sure to click on that link and it will take you to ebay. If you complete the purchase using "Buy It Now" within the next hour, you will get 8% cash back from Microsoft ... which, for any of these devices, is approx $24 off.

Thanks much ColdSun ! Eagerly looking forward to the reviews.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #29
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Take your time with those reviews...

You go too fast and I'll end up buying myself an early Christmas present! That would mean one for the wife too and I don"t know that I can afford that right now.

So take a break and get a GOOD idea of how they function.
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #30
jankovicgood
Connoisseur
jankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
Is Windows CE a good OS? I always read negative things about it.
jankovicgood is offline   Reply With Quote