Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #481
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hello! New Aura HD owner here, I have to say I'm extremely pleased!

It was very easy to set up (via PC, I had to create a kobo account as I didn't have one), then using calibre with a couple of try and following instructions on one thread here I was able to transfer my "TBR" list from the reading list plugin with all metadata, covers, etc, very quickly. I've been reading in all conditions (except out, but I won't do that anyway) and it was very pleasant. I haven't noticed dead spots (or whatever they are) or weird colors on the screen, so I'm happy, seems I got a perfect aura!
I'd like to try and send my books as Kepubs next, just to see the difference, but I'll probably keep epubs because if the %read re whole book and not by chapters...

Anyway, for now, count me as amazed by this device (admittedly, it's my first e-ink reader, but still...)!
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #482
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
Hello! New Aura HD owner here, I have to say I'm extremely pleased!

It was very easy to set up (via PC, I had to create a kobo account as I didn't have one), then using calibre with a couple of try and following instructions on one thread here I was able to transfer my "TBR" list from the reading list plugin with all metadata, covers, etc, very quickly. I've been reading in all conditions (except out, but I won't do that anyway) and it was very pleasant. I haven't noticed dead spots (or whatever they are) or weird colors on the screen, so I'm happy, seems I got a perfect aura!
I'd like to try and send my books as Kepubs next, just to see the difference, but I'll probably keep epubs because if the %read re whole book and not by chapters...

Anyway, for now, count me as amazed by this device (admittedly, it's my first e-ink reader, but still...)!
I don't have any issues with the reader. The light works great nice even display all around nor any dark/dead spots. I am though thinking of getting a screen protector since the screen is a touch screen for added protection against the oils and acids in the skin.

regards
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #483
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've got three different ADE-based readers (Sony, BeBook, and Pocketbook), and they all exhibit this behaviour.
That's very interesting, thanks. I agree with davidfor that time and again it has been said in the Kobo forum that this issue was happening on Kobo devices only.
Maybe the issue is the same, and the way it's displayed is different, though
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #484
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I don't have any issues with the reader. The light works great nice even display all around nor any dark/dead spots. I am though thinking of getting a screen protector since the screen is a touch screen for added protection against the oils and acids in the skin.

regards
I'm not sure that you can use a screen protector with it, as it uses infrared touch. Does anyone here have any experience with screen protectors on an Aura?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #485
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm not sure that you can use a screen protector with it, as it uses infrared touch. Does anyone here have any experience with screen protectors on an Aura?
You can use a screen protector I have one on both the touch and Glo.

regards

Jack
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #486
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jackastor: do you notice difference in the text as you've added a layer? I was thinking of a screen protector, too, but was afraid of lowering the sharpness of the text.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #487
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You can use a screen protector I have one on both the touch and Glo.

regards

Jack
Thanks for the info! I would have thought that it would activate the touch screen all the time.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #488
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
You will still have the % read per book and not per chapter.

But you will see pages per chapter (actual page turns) and not pages per book (which will mostly need more than one page turn to change), but also time left per chapter, time for next chapter, time left for the rest of the book. (And by that it is quite easy to see roughly how many pages there are left in the book.)

Also footnotes work much better in kepubs.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #489
glos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
You will still have the % read per book and not per chapter.

But you will see pages per chapter (actual page turns) and not pages per book (which will mostly need more than one page turn to change), but also time left per chapter, time for next chapter, time left for the rest of the book. (And by that it is quite easy to see roughly how many pages there are left in the book.)

Also footnotes work much better in kepubs.
oh thanks, yes, I got it mixed up
yes! I'm interested in testing the time left per chapter thing, seems cool, so I'll try
Old 07-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #490
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
yes! I'm interested in testing the time left per chapter thing, seems cool, so I'll try
I thought I wouldn't have a use for that - but now that it is there, I actually use it quite a bit.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #491
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Actually the kobo epub features is the one thing I like best especially the time left to read the whole book... well ETTFB (Estimated Time To Finish Book) Its nice because it shows how long its going to take based on your total reading habits.... a fast reader the ETTFB will be shorter..., a slow reader the ETTFB will longer.

regards

Jack
Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #492
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi at all
I'm an italian user. I want buy a new enook reader, and give my kindle NT to my mother.
Actually i'm undecided between paperwhite and aura HD. So i have some question about the kobo:
1)I read about the touch the it's less precise than paperwhite. It's true? someone have a problem with the touch?
2)Can I read the manga in jpg/png?or the screen it's too little?
3)I saw a lot of videoreview, but I don't have clear if for change page i must swipe from left to right, or if i can simply tap the left side?
4) when i put it in stand by, on the display appear a random image like kindle, or the cover of the book?

5)someone can post a photo with 0 margin,10% of space line,and font size 9/10?
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #493
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
That's very interesting, thanks. I agree with davidfor that time and again it has been said in the Kobo forum that this issue was happening on Kobo devices only.
Maybe the issue is the same, and the way it's displayed is different, though
The Kobo's seem to have another issue besides widows & orphans where you sometimes get only a partially full screen (sometimes only a line or two per screen) for multiple screen turns. It gets explained to Kobo newbies (like me) as a widows/orphans problem, but I'm not sure it actually is. Perhaps the two issues are separate things and getting confused?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #494
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
3)I saw a lot of videoreview, but I don't have clear if for change page i must swipe from left to right, or if i can simply tap the left side?
4) when i put it in stand by, on the display appear a random image like kindle, or the cover of the book?
3) You can do both.

4) It displays the cover.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #495
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Hi at all
I'm an italian user. I want buy a new enook reader, and give my kindle NT to my mother.
Actually i'm undecided between paperwhite and aura HD. So i have some question about the kobo:
1)I read about the touch the it's less precise than paperwhite. It's true? someone have a problem with the touch?
2)Can I read the manga in jpg/png?or the screen it's too little?

5)someone can post a photo with 0 margin,10% of space line,and font size 9/10?
1. Having owned several readers with IR screens like the Aura and currently have the PW with its capacitive screen, I can confirm that it is far easier to select or highlight accurately with the capacitive screen of the PW. I found highlighting accurately with a Kobo Glo or Touch especially tricky, more so than on a Sony 650 even though they all have IR screens.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote